Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
Brobrian

Default Rear axle leak Repair

Hello Gents,
Been away a while (cancer) and now getting well enough to take care of a few things. My passenger side rear axle is leaking (enough to splatter oil on the wheel and fender) and I’m wondering if I need to remove the rear end entirely to get at that seal. Before we all begin recommending rebuilding the ring and pinion assembly and then the trans., which I’m willing to do if needed, there are no noises or undo slop in either. I’ve seen a video of guys trying to get bearings and races off and on and of trying to get the preload correct. Not sure I’m up for all that. Did it on my ‘28 when I was younger and never felt confident I was precise enough though it lasted another 25k before I sold it. Still open to all advice.
If you happen to be in SoCal and know of an expert or a shop let me know.
Missed you guys as I’ve sat back and listened in on your discussions. Hope you have some advice for me now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADBB8CED-A0E7-408B-A9DE-8A8D042AD31F.jpg (36.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Benson

Default Re: Rear axle leak Repair

Before pouring in money ... is the vent in Transmission tower plugged with oil and dirt?

Remove lower floor board.

Look at the rear of the tower at the point where floor board rubs on tower. Should be a 3/16ths hole there to vent tower. If plugged oil goes out the weakest oil seal.

I dig out dirt with dental pick and a running vacuum cleaner to keep dirt out of tranny!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Brobrian

Will do. I prolly should have pulled off the wheels and hubs to check the outer bearing and race for wear before I posted as well. When I was young and something untoward popped up on my car I thought, “Great I get to tear that apart and learn all about it!” This morning when I saw the leak I thought, “Lord, do I have the strength to pull this all apart?” I think i’ll hop in my old truck and go for a coffee, just to settle my nerves.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
chap52

Be praying for you brother. We are all going through something and prayer never hurts.

My wife is always telling me that there is no rush to get anything on our toys completed. I have a folding chair in my shop which I place in front of the fan. This is where I sit and "visualize" my projects. The older I get the more "visualizing" I find myself doing, and I still actually get some projects completed. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
100IH

Brian, sorry to hear about your health issues, wondered where you disappeared to. Check the lube level at the diff. Must be the really thick stuff and not 90 wt. Also can be 1/2 inch below the level hole with no issues. Then proceed to pull drums for a look see. Lots of A's running around with crap for seals. Good luck.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Brobrian

Thanks gentlemen. You know I used to hear about different members passing away or having health issues and didn’t think much of it. Now it’s a bit more real. Lana, my wife and navigator, got cancer and a month or two later I was diagnosed. Since her death it’s taken all this time to regain the interest in life and the physical strength to want to work on my cars. In fact I had to sell the coupe as looking at it in the garage was just too tough. Okay, enough of that.
I’ll check the diff level, or better yet change it out, and pull the hubs to see what I can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lana & Coupe.jpg (79.6 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Brobrian; 08-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Brobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
TerryH

Tom Endy repairs Model A rear ends, out of his house in Westminter, in Orange County, but you would need to remove it and take to him. He is active on this site. He can also give you excellent advice on diagnosing and repairing.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Brobrian

Cool, Terry, i’ll Contact Tom if I think I need to pull it apart.
By the way, as it’s Model A related, I made Lana’s casket and loaded her up in it when we took her to the cemetery in the bed of our ‘31 pickup. Darn, now my eyes need new seals.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #9
Big hammer

Check the fluid level, clean up the mess, AND go for a ride! I bet your co-pilot would be with you. We are glad your back posting:-)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #10
john charlton

Before you pull the hub check for up and down movement,you should feel none or nearly none . I dont think the inner axle seal does much they wear a groove in the axle so the seal is compromised anyway .It the big hub seal which does all the work.When the hub bearing worn to excess the seal leaks.If you have any vertical slop it is a rebuild job ,sleeves in hub and on axle ends etc etc. and the V8 bearing.I would clean up or replace the brakes and fit a new hub seal if hub wear is minimal and hope for the best!!!
Check the backplate nuts are tight and hub is tight on taper. If you do remove the hub bearing put it back the same way it came out.You could try a new bearing.

John in sunny Suffolk County England.

Last edited by john charlton; 08-25-2018 at 04:41 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Brobrian

Sounds do-able, John,. I shall.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Brobrian

Well, since I had the seals I took your advice and examined the axle and bearings. Everything looks great, no wear at all. Not sure I really accomplished anything. Next i’ll Make sure the diff has the right oil in it. With the rest of the diff working so well, (no slop or noise) I guess i’ll just live with the leak rather than taking the rear end all apart in order to replace that inner seal.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
john charlton

That is good news. As everything is in good condition I would definately fit a new seal to the hub.Check the the axle lube viscosity it should be 600W like a very thick syrup the same as about SAE250 .In UK sold at agricultural outlets Shell Omala , Texaco etc etc.Although you buy in bulk it would last you years (it does not have a sell by date)and also I wonder who actually makes the oil the vendors sell,it must be repackaged by someone. To be sure I would change the oil in the axle and check the oil in the trans sometimes oil can migrate down the torque tube into the rear axle.

John
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Brian,
Sorry about your trials & losing your Wife, been there! Life is sometimes unkind, when you're 82!
Bill W.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #15
Brobrian

Thank you, Bill. One of the things that’s slowly dawned on me as the greif diminishes is that everyone who survives has to deal with this. I’ve been rubbing elbows with people who’ve been going through tough times, especially older folks for years and haven’t been as compassionate or helpful as I should have been. Still without her I’m a one-legged men in a wind storm. No amount of tinkering with Model A’s will ever be as fulfilling as a single cup of coffee with her. Suppose you know that yourself.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
redmodelt

Kinda yes. My Sunday sit and BS about T's friend passed a few years back. I took my turn sitting at his bed side as he passed. Some Sundays I wish he could be still here, miss sitting with him and just shooting the breeze.