Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2005, 04:55 AM   #1

Default Aftermarket Radio for '48 F1

After reading the posts on this forum, I realize that finding a stock radio for my F1 (there is no radio in the truck)will be very difficult. Besides, I would want an AM/FM anyway, and the cost of converting an original AM to an AM/FM is pretty high. Does anyone know of an aftermarket AM/FM radio that will fit the opening on the '48 dash? If stereo, could I get speakers small enough to fit in the original speaker opening? I wouldn't want to mount them in the doors, but I guess they could hang under the dash somewhere out of the way. With a 6v system, would I have to buy a 12v inverter if I don't install an aftermarket radio that can be heard coming 10 blocks down the street? Finally, will there be a problem with polarity (the '48 is a 6v system with positive ground)? Thanks!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Aftermarket Radio for '48 F1

An aftermarket radio with DIN mounting hardware will fit in the original mounting space. Creative work with a wooden mounting plate can (and did, in my case) result in a pretty good looking installation. The inverter will take care of the polarity difference, but, as you say, it won't like high volumes. I mounted speaakers in the access panel in the door. An alternative to the inverter is a small 12 volt battery mounted behind the seat.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #3

Default Re: Aftermarket Radio for '48 F1

<center></center>

One way I have seen a radio mounted in a '48-50 truck is hidden behind the speaker grill. The guy hinged the bottom and used a spring loaded key chain to pull it back into position. I looked sharp and didn't affect the looks of the dash.