Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 AM   #1

Default idle setting

Can someone tell me the steps to correctly set the idle on my 41.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 AM   #2

Default Re: idle setting

all carb adjustments must be made with engine warmed up to running temps and with air cleaner on, set idle to 450 to 475, with engine off, turn idle jet screws in all the way, then back off 1 1/2 turns, start engine and turn screws in till engine starts to stumble the back off screw 1/2 turn or till engine idles smoothly, to make sure carb is working right turn screws out till engine starts to stumble then back in till it runs smooth, if you dont get any change in engine idle going both ways with idle screws carb needs rebuilding, remmber turn idle screws in till engine stumbles then back out till engine runs smooth, when your done the idle speed should be 450- 475

Old 03-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #3

i would back out 1 turn initially, IMHO. the rest is correct. turn all way with fingers only not screw driver.1 1/2 is too rich you got wet plugs already. ken ct.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #4

I do just a bit different

Mix screws in then out 1 1/2 - 2

Back off idel speed adjustment all the way then tignten to contact plus 1/2 turn.

Start and adj speed, then mix then speed again.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #5

why so rich on mix screws. set closed throttle butterflys just covering the lowest small hole in the venturies [can only be done with carb. off the manifold] ken ct.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #6

Turn screws in until they bottom. Do not screw in to tight or the tapper will be damaged. Back out 3/4 of a turn on both. Let engine warm up to normal operating temperature and set idle adjustment. The slower the idle the more effective the air mixture is. Turn each side in slowly alternating back and forth from one side to the other raceing the engine up slightly between adjustments to clear the carb. Keep going back and forth as one side effects the other until each one shows a definate roughness in the the idle with just a little movement in on the adjusters. When it gets to where they both show a rolling effect back out about 1/8th" in rotation on the adjuster. This may take 12 or 15 times of going back and forth to get it perfect. If one needle adjustment shows no sign of effecting the engine and is screwed all the way in there is a vacume leak in that side of the carb or mounting gasket. A worn throatle plate shaft will suck air in through the shaft pivot causeing this problem also. G.M.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:19 PM   #7

everybodys got diff. ideas on this subject. but i know 1 1/2 to 2 turns is tooo much. IMHO. ken ct.