Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: Cutting Drums

Standard diameter is 12.00" Maximum legal/

prudent oversize is 12.060"

Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Default Cutting Drums

Hi, can anyone tell me how much can be safely removed from a 41 - 48 brake drum and what was the original dimention? Thanks

Old 03-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #3

I recently had to cut some drums off a '53 rear end. I used a cutting wheel on my 4.5" grinder (they are slimmer than the regular grinding wheel). You'll want to cut across the outer wide part first...you can see the backing plate and you should avoid it. As you come towards the middle, be aware that there is a flange holding the studs, and the drum is right up against it. You do not want to cut into this flange, so stop as you get to within 2" of a stud. Also, mind the depth of your blade; keep it just deep enough to cut the outer drum shell. Make 2 or three more cuts like this around the drum, and then whack it hard with a mall or wedge a big chisle in-between the cuts. It is cast iron and will shatter with just enough persuasion. Be safe and wear eye protection!

Patrick

Old 03-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

In case no one answers with more knowledge, I think the drums were an even 12" and at least .060 can come out OK

Old 03-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #5

52/53 merc drums are 11 inch i think the fords are 10 im told they can go out 60thou however your brake man will tell you as there is a limit set by ford however in saying that i know of drums that have been turned out more

Old 03-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #6

huh???????????somehow something got lost in translation!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #7

Default Crooked Vendors

I've been carrying Ammco brake mikes for years to every swapmeet. About one in ten drums that I kick over to inspect is turnable at a real brake shop or parts house. With the exception of the '46-'48 front hubs that had a value for Buick drum conversions, this stuff was just trash. and many heartless vendors were charging real money. I used to carry steel rods that were cut and ground to 12" and 12.060" with sharp points to put into the deepest groove. The Longer one worked quickly as a no-go. Be careful out there. Good Luck: Fred A

Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #8

My apologies...I thought the question was "cutting off drums" as opposed to "turning drums" which is what I call that operation. Guess its a southern thing.

Patrick

Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #9

i was beginning to worry about you patrick.....keep on posting...

Old 03-29-2005, 02:33 AM   #10

Default Re: Crooked Vendors

I am looking for hubs with bad drums for the

"40 Style" where the drum is mounted on the

OUTSIDE of the hub. These can be used to

mount the new USA drums, which are excellent.

It is important that the stuff NOT be rusty,

that the front hub bearing races are not

loose in the hub, and that the rear bearing

races are not damaged and that they have

good tapers and keyways. Broken studs don't

matter, as I install new (different)studs.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #11

Default New Drums?

With what seems tens of thousands of Ford drums out there with good meat still left, the replacement drums look like a tough way to go, but it is hard to beat lots of metal for thermal inertia, sucking up the excess heat and delaying brake fade. I have been just throwing the junk drums and hubs away as not worth the bother to sell. Only saved drums are the '42-'48 Lincoln fronts where I'm still searching for something to bring them back to standard. Nice '40 style front hubs are cheap if the geezers will admit how worn out the drums are. Good Luck: Fred A