Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default exhaust pipe problems

cannot find a exhaust pipe 79-5245 for a 1937 two tonn can i use a 91a-5245 adapt it to make it fit i understand it should be 55 inch long I am getting ready to put the engine in i understand that 79-5245 pipe was used only in 37 green bible said any ideas need advice thank you

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: exhaust pipe problems

If it is the correct diameter and it looks like it's shaped right and fits who would know if it's correct or not? This is getting down to splitting hairs and I doubt there is anyone who could say right or wrong as long as you have the correct muffler, clamps and brackets. G.M.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I dont have the original dont know what it looks like

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

IF a 91a5245 will fit have no problem takeing it to a muffler shop to get it adapted to work just need to know frames are differant on a two tonn than a car

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

The frame is differant in a 2 ton and the car but that doesn't mean they didn't use the same 5245 pipe. The parts books I have at home don't show many 79 part numbers in the exhaust system. It does show the same clamp on the front of the muffler connection on both the car and the 79 truck. This means the pipe diameter is most likely the same. I would say you could make the 91-A work. The longer frame in the big truck would indicate it may have to be lengthened. What I do if I have to make or modify a pipe is take a stiff wire and bend it to the shape i want. I have my own exhaust bender so that makes things a little easier. After bending the pipe to the shape of the wire I'm often amazed at how well they fit. I'm talking about some complexed bends for duals on the left side around the steering and back through the frame around the master cylinder. That is the most difficult area and I like my pipes in the center of the frame holes and not bumping on any parts. In areas like this I make the pipe in two sections with slip joints as there are to many bends and it is easier to install. No real definate info but I hope it is of some help. G.M.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #6

Robert, The 1937 1 1/2 ton came in 131" and 157" wheel base trucks. The length of the exhaust pipe was different on these two trucks. Look up this item number on Ebay 7944637038. It will show you a exhaust pipe I bought for the shorter wheel base.I haven't tried it on my truck yet. I can't seem to pass up any parts for that model I may need someday. I agree with GM that the 91code pipe should work. Good Luck and enjoy.

Joe

Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #7

Green book shows one exhaust pipe for 37 truck.