Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Some observations and a few more questions from a newbie.

My 31 fordor just seems to run better and better every time I drive it. It' has not been driven for about 12 years so perhaps the valves s[were sticking just a bit something but it's starting to run quite well. I put some seafoam in the crank case to clean everything up and make sure things are working as they should. I'm a happy camper in that regard. I put a product called "Tire Life" in the tires to balance them and it made a significant difference. It is a liquid that I just shot through the valve stem with a syringe. It is supposed to condition the rubber and help it last longer also, but ????. Now on to the questions. I've noticed that it is using a fair bit of oil but don't notice any smoke and only a few drops on the floor, about the expected amount. By quite a bit I mean a quart in about 40 miles. That 40 miles is in about 10 trips while testing things as well as idle time in the shop and much of that time the engine is cold. Only had it up to running temp a couple of times. Which brings me to me second concern, When I went to pit some oil in it I noticed that there must be some serious condensation going on because the inside of the filler tube was coated in white sludge like moisture. The oil itself is clean. I suppose condensation should be expected with all the starting and shutting off and no REAL driving. Just wondering if this is expected/normal or ?????

Last edited by Licensed to kill; 05-04-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote