Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Wipers for 40-41 Pickup

Other than Newport Engineering, any other good options? This truck is for the wife ......

For dual wipers btw ....

Thanks .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Wipers for 40-41 Pickup

I put dual wipers on my 41 truck ,same as yours, and had to eliminate about half of the glove box height to clear the mech. for right hand wiper
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
TJ

Check out the Mighty Wiper at; www.raingearwipers.com. Would probably be a good bet for your pickup.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

Thank you for the tip - went to their website and they do not list the 40-47 Ford Pickup .....
Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #5
TomT/Williamsburg

So I purchased the Newport Engineering kit for the pickup and went with the added delay mechanism again to make it easier for my wife to have more of the same feel as her daily. I have nothing else in the dash - no cowl vent, gauges, heater, glass, glove box and glove box door - nothing.

I am in the process of enlarging the stock wiper holes in the cowl with a jig they provide. Pass side is done, should finish the driver side tomorrow. Without glass it will be difficult to test it but we will see how things go. Nice unit though but so is everything when it’s new, right? It just has to work right.

Will get some pics out ......
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

So the install of the system is fairly straightforward with the cowl holes your biggest issue. They send you a jig to set it up and it falls right on top of the stock holes which is good. The jig makes you mark, drill, scribe the hole size, cut the holes then file them to the right size. After that you test fit the unit and make hole adjustments then - cumbersome to use the unit. Just so happens 1/2” copper tubing slips into the backside portion of the bezel and made hole sizing a whole lot better. After I used that I only required a small amount of filing and it was in .....

Btw, I used one of those cone shaped hole saws to enlarge the hole one size too small, then filed the rest of what was needed using my little copper pipe trick....

The support bracket uses one of the cowl vent mech holes so I will do that tomorrow .......
Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

how about a picture from behind the dash? seems like a much better unit than the one I installed, which looks more like original car wiper towers and very bulky
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

Will do tomorrow ......
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
TomT/Williamsburg

First pic is through the cowl vent hole ....

Of course, nothing ever goes smoothly - I am using the new Classic Instruments gauge panel - the wife really liked it so what’s a guy to do? - and it is deep. The end of the wiper motor sticks too far into the gauge panel area to install it from the backside with the wiper installed. So, I had to partially dismantle the wiper system to install it and make up some hold downs. It us a nice looking unit and she wanted the stock 40 looking colors and traditionally styled rather than the other color combos and looks ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9FABD6D-5FA0-4B92-96B5-95068F9CFE80.jpeg (72.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg FAE35CC6-B0B0-43EB-A5AF-05ED67D3400F.jpeg (76.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 01-14-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

I'm just impressed that your wife is interested in a 1940 pickup or an early V8 for that matter. That's some rare DNA for women. Congratulations, I'm jealous.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

She has always liked a 40 pickup - the visibility is one thing and although the 40 pickup is bulbous looking, she knows exactly where the front and rear end of the truck are. Bought her a 65 Mustang, red, white interior - she just did not feel comfortable with no PS, no PB, thingscreflecting in her windshield, and no creature comforts. So, we sold the Mustang and I asked her what she wanted and she said a 40 Ford Pickup with ps, pb, auto, heat, defrost, and ac. She did not want a Flathead (she knows they can be finicky) but she didn’t want a powerful V8 either. That’s where the 4.3 V6 came in. So here I am building her one. If you build a car that makes them feel like it’s their daily driver, without a lot of blitz and bling, and it’s somewhat rough around the edges to actually driver it and not feel nervous, many women would drive one.

So, am I lucky? Yes .... she has her own huge original projects like a I have building cars and so appreciates it and she wants to be part of it. I go to her events for things she’s passionate about and I participate as well. We just went to lunch last week - 40 degrees out - and we were in the roadster (my avatar). I put the side curtains in and turned on the heat. No problem ..... We have been going to Lake George, NY event in my avatar, my new 32 coupe, and can’t wait to drive her pickup there. That’s a 650 mile 1-way trip!

You would be surprised at how many women would love to drive an old car, young or old, and they just love the looks they get! Just them something they feel comfy and do not go ballistic if something happens to it. Many, mantcwives in the HAMB drive cars their husbands built/bought/modified for them and some played a major role in their cars....

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 01-14-2020 at 04:44 PM.