Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
delco1946

Default transmission adjustment tool names

I got my '55 fordomatic transmission rebuilt last year, and I must say i've never been super happy with how it feels when at a dead stop and accelerating in 2nd. I’d like to learn to fix this myself.

To start getting my head around properly setting and maintaining my fordamatic, I need some tools that I don't even know the names of. I have all the books and manuals for 1955 Fords, so that is 'done'.

When adjusting the front and rear bands, they show a tool that appears to be some sort of torque wrench which a thickness gauge connected to it - what is this called so I can start searching for one online, on ebay, etc? When setting pressure/ checking pressures they also use a protractor device that inserts into the transmission and a pressure gauges to display pressure as you manually move the throttle. What are the correct names of these devices?

I hit up estate sales often so even if not made anymore, I stand a decent chance to find older equipment - i recently got an early 70s Sun timing gun, compression test gauge, rpm/dwell meter for example which was very exciting. Only 40 bucks and it looks pretty good cleaned up! That being said, if this stuff is still made and you have recommendations, please let me know! Thanks

Last edited by delco1946; 02-27-2021 at 12:40 AM.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote