Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Summit racing

This might sound like "sour Grapes" to some, I don't like to co,plain, BUT!!
I ordered a fuel regulator for my truck, the tank has an internal pump for an 87 EFI system and I'm using a 2GC carb on the Flathead. I recieved the pump in 4 days, good shipping, that's where things started to go wrong. Opening the box I found the regupator had come out of it'd box and the parts were were just laying there. The instructions were for a fuel pump , so I didn't know which port was for the in , return, and carb. I found that on the internet.
<ounting the pump on the passenger side of the firewall I had to reverse the Regulator so the carb side faced the carb, but that covered up the Gauge port.. When I tried to mount the bracket I fount the mounting holes were not tapped. The mounting bolta supplied were 19-32, but the holes were for a 1/4-20 tap. However when I tried to mpunt the bracket on thregulatoe, it only went on one way and the way I wanted it covered up the gauge port. By this time I was somewhat frustrated and calle Holley.
After the pone shuffel I got someone that told me the 801 P/N was a fuel pump
???????? Slight bit of confusion here!! I explained what iI had and asked if I could reverse the input and carb ports, so I could use the gauge port. He sais yes. I was wondering if that was a guess or fact. Thought someone here might have the answer??
Now this isn't very important because I have "T: fitting I can install on the carb outlet and install the gauge on the way to the carb.
I want everyone to know this wan't caused by the Pandemic, but i'm still going to stand 6 feet away frome it when I turn it on.

Take care, be safe
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Summit racing

Just took a peek at the instruction sheet for the regulator which is the same one used for a fuel pump.
The regulator has two outlet ports for use with dual carb. applications.
If only one carb is used the other port can be used for what ever you choose
(pressure gauge etc.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulator.JPG (80.3 KB, 555 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

The regulator has 3 3/8 NPT ports. Pressure in, return to tank and pressure to carb. It also has a 1/4 NPT port for gauge. You must be looking at a different regulator.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The regulator has 3 3/8 NPT ports. Pressure in, return to tank and pressure to carb. It also has a 1/4 NPT port for gauge. You must be looking at a different regulator.
I am talking about PN 12-804 1-4 lb. regulator.

What is the part number of the regulator you are using?

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 05-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
ford38v8

I never met the guy, but Ol' Ron sounds like a very unhappy disgruntled man.

Last edited by ford38v8; 05-18-2020 at 07:15 PM.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
801 looks like the base number for a fuel pump, they pair up with regulators per the chart on the instruction sheet. The instructions state they are both fuel pumps and regulators.

Ron, what is the output pressure of your in tank fuel pump? What are you trying to get it down to, 1-4 psi? That would be like a 12-804 regulator, but not sure what the maximum inlet pressure would be. Most in-tank pumps I have worked with put out fairly high pressure. We are using a regulator similar to this on a 65 Comet Cyclone feeding a 4-barrel, so a little higher pressure. It used the by-pass. Not totally sure I understand the orientation issue, in our case we just turned it to a position we liked then figured out the plumbing to make it work. You can bend the fuel lines into about any configuration you want. We also connected the fuel pressure gauge.

Does your regulator look anything like this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holley 801.jpg (90.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Comet Fuel Regulator.jpg (72.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 05-18-2020 at 07:29 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

I really can't see that regulator in the pic very well. I've learned that the input and output are interchangeable on this unit. also I's an 801 marked on the side of the unit. I'll have it hooked up tomorrow, so we'll see how it works. I don't know the output pressure of th etank pump, but in 87 the throttle body EFI system ran on 15 lbs. Thanks for your interest
Old 05-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I really can't see that regulator in the pic very well. I've learned that the input and output are interchangeable on this unit. also I's an 801 marked on the side of the unit. I'll have it hooked up tomorrow, so we'll see how it works. I don't know the output pressure of th etank pump, but in 87 the throttle body EFI system ran on 15 lbs. Thanks for your interest
If it was 15 to the TB I would think it would work, sounds like your getting there. 801 on the regulator seems strange, should be 803 or 804. No way the 801 is a poorly stamped 804?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

OK, Here's the scoop on the regulator. It works fine and thr input can be on either side, so the gauge port can be used if you modify the bracket. Infortunately the tank pump has a check valve in the return line, causing the regulator to just peg the gaugee. Running the return line into a bucket showed 5 lbs on the carb side. For those interested the regulator is marked 801 and that's what I ordered.. So, alls well that ends well, have to fix the return to the tank.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Mtt
Old 05-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

I ALWAYS recommend a return line when using electric fuel pumps. They work much better, last longer and run cooler when they can circulate the fuel. They are not usually happy when 'dead headed' and pumping at full force with no circulation.

I use dedicated 'return style' regulators on the Mustang. Mallory #4309. These have four 3/8 NPT ports on the top... one is used as the input, the other three as outlets... and the return is out the bottom. Very simple design, and allows the pump to work at the lower psi and circulate the fuel. The pumps also operate MUCH more quietly this way.

The old Holley regulators can also be rigged up as a return style.

When using a modern, high pressure EFI fuel pump, the return style is often about the only thing that will work. Many modern racing fuel pumps have returns built in to the pumps, themselves. There is a hose right out of the pump that goes back to the tank.

Good Luck
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

I learned allot on this project. Thereason why I did it was becauseI've replaced several electric pukps over the past few years, they just stop pumping or fried. Intank pumps are used in all new cars and never seem to have trpuble and the junk yards are full of them. The tank and internak pump cost 45 bucks and the regulator 55. So I got a hundred bucks tied up in the system. The feed line in the truck was 3/8 so I made it the return line and added a 5/16 pressure line. The pump is 32 yers old and is working just fine, So far??