Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
Veeder

Default Recommendation on CAR Storage for the winter

I need to find a place to store my car long term any suggestions on where to start looking ? Do need it protected from the elements and security for insurance.

Thks in advance
Bob
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Recommendation on CAR Storage for the winter

Hi Bob, There are many ways to tackle this problem. Let's begin with your area of location. There may be some one here that knows of a place with room.

Other than that, check local papers for garage for rent. Private parties love that sort of tenant who parks, locks and does not disturb for several months. Opposed to the tenant who comes and goes any hour or day. Don't be afraid to ask the small time local realtor, and any social groups you may know. Last but not least are the commercial storage units. They however can be pricey, depending on the proximity to an urban area. If the place is located in the sticks, the fees are usually less. First and foremost though, I would put out the word to all family, friends, and neighbors. You could get lucky and score something for cheap with some one who could have a personal affinity for you treasure.

Been in your your shoes more than I care to recall. Now I have three cars in a two car garage, plus three in the driveway that my wife wife resents seeing. Yes I am a hoarder. Too bad. The treasures that I had to let go of in my youth when I had no property, but 'Classic value' was not publicly or socially accepted, make me ill. "Get that junk out of here!" They all cried. Sorry about the rant. Good Luck
Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
Ron Pilger

This constant problem for me ended twenty-five years ago when i decided i needed a permanent solution. I went to the oldest neighborhood, with the cheapest real estate prices in our small city, and drove down the alleys looking for really nice garages. When i found a next-to-new double car garage i would check out the house exterior to see if it was sound. if there was no real estate for sale sign i knocked on the door to see if the owners would want to sell. Over the years i accumulated a handful of really nice affordable rental properties. I do not rent out any garage space - just the dwellings. It's been a perfect scenario. I keep the rents low enough to keep good tenants.. One renter has been with me since 1996! These folks become my security system, too. The houses have all doubled, or tripled, in value. i have ten cars under cover.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
waterboychuck

How about a self storage unit. They are usually surrounded by a fence where you need a key to get into the place plus a key to get into your unit.