Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Kmyrkle

Default 29 Model A no spark on 2-4

Hello everyone,
My Dad has been restoring a 1929 Model A for the last few years. When we pulled it into the garage it was running nicely. Now years later I cannot get it to start. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned throughly. Cleaned fuel lines. The problem seems to be no spark on cylinders 2-4. #1 I have visual confirmation of spark via spark plug out of the hole. The other cylinders I can feel some voltage going through but it's not much. #1 cylinder will make you dance when it hits. I have cleaned the contacts on the distributor cap as well as the rotor. Here is a picture of the distributor.
Thanks in advance for the help. I can't wait to hear this thing run again!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Kmyrkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: 29 Model A no spark on 2-4

There may be multiple things wrong. Check the gap between the rotor and the contacts on the distributor body (the thing with the arms on it). They should be 0.025 all the way around.

The distributor body looks dirty. Try giving it a bath with lots of soap and water using a brush then dry it. Or get a new one. Dirt, especially if damp, and provide a path to ground.

I assume you have checked the points for good contact and correct gap of 0.020. Typically they will develop resistance from dirt on sitting. Also check the timing. Use fine wet and dry sandpaper to clean the points then make sure that there is no residual grit by wiping with a lint free cloth.

Check the distributor shaft. It should not wiggle when you try to move it in the bearing.

Once you get the ignition sorted out follow the recommended starting sequence with the mixture control opened about 1 turn, the distributor retarded, and the hand throttle open about 3 clicks. Choke for one or two revolutions only.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 02-28-2021 at 09:52 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
ArtimusGordon

I would try cleaning the distributor contacts with fine sand paper and also clean the tips on the distributor. Also sand lightly the rotor tip. Make sure the spark plug connectors are tightly down on the spark plug. You could also check the electrical continuity of each distributor lead with a multi meter. Lastly I would try another distributor (horn) body.

Last edited by ArtimusGordon; 02-28-2021 at 11:58 AM.
ArtimusGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
700rpm

If it ran fine years ago there is no reason to check the timing. Sitting cars will not just fall out of timing. I suspect dist. body if you have determined that spark is getting through the dissy and two plugs but not to two others. Replace that bidy with a new one. I don’t usually suggest throwing parts at a problem, but in this case that’s where I’d start with this. Clean and gap your plugs while you’re at it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
nkaminar

K Myrkle, When you get it sorted out, don't forget to let us know what you did to get it running. We learn from the feedback from members who solve problems.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
WHN

New spark plugs! New points and condenser. New distributor body and rotor.

Even if that’s not the total problem, it will not hurt. Sitting around, doesn’t help.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
Kmyrkle

I cleaned the points and I have spark to all the cylinders now. I sprayed a little starting fluid in it and she fired for a second. The battery died so I will have to try again in the morning.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
700rpm

Good news. You’re close now.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #9
daren007

It should still start on cyls one and three.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

I would replace the points with better quality.

These look as they may be of a "Foreign" manufacturer (China?). If so, they have very little to no tungsten on them and they will keep corroding and loosing continuity. I have run across this several times. If you look carefully you can also see where the flat spring of the point arm is very close the the metal frame of the points where the connection screw goes thru. I have found that over time, the thin plastic insulator will compress and contact arm spring will ground out. A lot of these points were sold until it was found out they are no good and would fail.

My experience.

Chris W.

Borg Warner brand or other Good quality points are available. I get mine from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
Kmyrkle

Thanks for the info, do you have a part number?

Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmyrkle View Post
I cleaned the points and I have spark to all the cylinders now. I sprayed a little starting fluid in it and she fired for a second. The battery died so I will have to try again in the morning.

She fired for a second ! When your battery is charged, open the GAV one turn and pulling out on it will choke the engine. Pull it and hold it closed for 2-3 engine cranks and then release, hopefully it will run!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
Kmyrkle

Which way do I turn? Clockwise or counter clockwise? How many times can it be turned?

Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
old31

On the choke rod (GAV) turn it clockwise until it stops. That means it is fully closed.

Then turn the GAV 1 turn counterclockwise, that means you are opening it up for more fuel. That is enough just to get things going.

Once you get it started You will have to move the GAV in or out to fine tune the engine. You will be able to hear it as to what it needs.

Every car with the GAV is different. My car I start with 1/2 a turn as it warms up and I drive it faster it is happiest at 1/4 turn.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #15
700rpm

By "move the GAV in and out" I think old31 means by turning GAV clockwise or counter clockwise, not by pulling the rod in and out. When turning clockwise, don’t turn it down real tight when it reaches the seat. That can damage the needle. Just snug will work.

Buy a copy of the original owners manual. It will help you get acquainted with the operation of your car. They’re available from all suppliers. It’s also available online.

Last edited by 700rpm; 03-01-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #16
katy

Put in a set of new spark plugs, gapped at .032".

I've seen where an engine that hasn't run for a few years wouldn't run. A new set of spark plugs cured it. After it was warmed up we replaced 1/2 of the new plugs w/the originals, it started and ran like crap for a bit and then settled down and ran fine. We then replaced the other 1/2 of the new plugs w/the originals. It again ran like crap for a bit but again settled down and ran fine. That cured the problem w/the plugs.

I've also seen good running lawn mowers put away for the winter but won't start in the spring. Put a new spark plug in and away they go.

What happens to spark plugs that causes them to stop working when left idle for an extended period?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #17
nkaminar

K Myrkle, Batteries don't like sitting around for years. If you have not done so already, replace the battery. Check all the connections. The battery posts and the connectors should be bright metallic. You can scrape them with a pocket knife or buy a special tool to clean them from the auto parts dealers.

If you have the original generator you will have to set the third brush for proper charging. If you have an alternator it will take care of itself. Don't worry about this now, just get it running and then think about the work that may need to be done. You probably have Model A owners near you. Search them out and join the local club. They will be more than happy to help you get your car in tip top shape.

Last edited by nkaminar; 03-01-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #18
nkaminar

Katy, The plugs have probably picked up moisture that has created a short to ground. The high voltage will short to ground easily. What I have done in the past is put the plugs in the oven at about 400 F for a while, let them cool, and then they work OK.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #19
Kmyrkle

Update

I put the plugs in an oven @400. Checked spark and they are all sparking better. I messed with the distributor without using one of those handy timing tools. Something is off because I still couldn't get it running. The battery is new as of Jan 21. I had to leave town to go back home so unfortunately it will be a few more months before I can try it again.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will post again when I make it down to see my parents again.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
katy

Set the timing according to the "Instruction manual",

1. Fully retard spark lever.
2. Check gap between breaker contact points and if necessary adjust them as described on page 28.
3. Screw out timing pin located in timing gear cover (see Fig. 10) and insert opposite end of pin into opening.
4. With the starting crank turn the engine over slowly, at the same time pressing in firmly on the timing pin. When the piston reaches the end of the compression stroke the timing pin will slip into a small depression in the camshaft gear.
5. With the pin in place, remove the distributor cover and lift off rotor and distributor body.
6. Loosen cam locking screw until cam can be turned.
7. Replace rotor and turn it until the rotor arm is opposite No. 1 contact point in distributor head.
8. Withdraw rotor from cam and slightly turn the cam in a counter clockwise direction until the breaker points just start to open, then securely tighten cam locking screw.
9. Replace rotor and distributor cover.
10. Withdraw timing pin from depression in time gear and screw it back tightly into the timing gear cover.

Simples.