Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Horn - New vs Original

My car has a low quality repro horn on it. The time has come to replace it with something that actually sounds like a Model A horn. I'm headed to Hershey in October and planned to look for an original there.

A friend has suggested that a good alternative to searching for a rebuilt original horn would be the new horns sold by the good parts sources. He tells me that the new ones are intended to duplicate the originals.

Any Barners that have experience with both? I'd sure be interested to hear from you. Thanks much!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Horn - New vs Original

I don't know anything about the new repros, but you should be able to find a good original at Hershey for less than a new one. They aren't rare. I'd look there first and consider the new ones as a fall-back position.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

From personal fine-point competition experience, what they will gig you on with the Sparton repro horn is the size and finish of the projector screws/nuts, ...and the tag. Therefore you can tell they are not exact reproductions.

My personal opinion is that an original horn will likely set you back between $125-$175 depending on sheetmetal condition. Then by the time you freight the horn motor up to Bill in Rome, New York to be rebuilt, and then strip the sheetmetal, work out the dents, paint and reassemble, you will have more money & time invested than buying an A&L horn so you need to choose which side of the fence is more important to you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm not planning to enter this car in fine point judging. I do want whatever horn goes on the car to respect the Model A heritage and to work well. You've all given me some good things to consider. Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Mort

Dave, it might well be worth a trip to A&L in New Hartford, CT. I just rebuilt my original horn and they were a huge help with supplying the few new parts that I needed along with very good advice and guidance. You might make it a regular trip. They are only open until 4PM weekdays and you should call to make sure Bob will be there.
You will not regret it!
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Pilotdave

Good idea, Mort. A&L isn't far from where I live, and I am in Windsor, CT every few months on business - it'd be an easy visit to make from there.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

We have two members who have purchased a new horn from A&L; they look beautiful, sound excellent, and a lot cheaper than trying to rebuild a original horn.

As Brent said, in the long run its much cheaper.

If you look for a original, suggest you consider a Stewart-Warner; except for the early S/W which had script on the cover, the rest are all the same to end of production and you do not have to worry about a tag like the Sparton has.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
My car has a low quality repro horn on it. The time has come to replace it with something that actually sounds like a Model A horn. I'm headed to Hershey in October and planned to look for an original there.

A friend has suggested that a good alternative to searching for a rebuilt original horn would be the new horns sold by the good parts sources. He tells me that the new ones are intended to duplicate the originals.

Any Barners that have experience with both? I'd sure be interested to hear from you. Thanks much!
First of all when I get to be president it will be against the law to sell a Model A without a good sounding Ahooga horn! I did not say original horn because after some of the ham handed tinkerers get done with an originalhorn it is junk. I base my comments on not one or two cars or horns as I have owned literally doxens of both...yes I am an old fart! Do not buy an original horn unless you can here its sound......too many junk ones with a good paint job. Unless you are going for blue ribbon, go with A$L. As brnt pointed out, you will save money.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

My 29 Tudor came with a chrome repro horn, such as JC Whitney used to sell. It was 6 volts and actually had excellent sound, just like a good original horn. I was able to sell it on ebay for more than I paid for a good original horn.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Barry B./ Ma.

Hi Dave, I've used A&L horns in the past and m very satisfied. Maybe I'll see you at Hershey. How's the tudor running?

Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Pilotdave

More good info. Thanks!

Barry, I just sent you a pm with my cellphone # - will look for you at Hershey. The tudor is doing okay. I am still working to find the source of the rapping sound about which I posted on here. It's a long search - will be crawling under the car to resume the search next week after we return from a business meeting. Hope all is well with you.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
28 Special Coupe

I recently bought a new A&L horn to replace my old worn out Stewart Warner. Now, I'm no expert on ahooga horns, but to my ears the A&L has a beautiful sound. It appears to have top-notch construction and I'm very pleased with it.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Pilotdave

Aha! Another A&L endorsement - thanks a lot.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Marshall57

Ok,,, I'm convinced,, now please help me link me up with A&L, as I have no idea who or where these folks are.
To me the sound of the Model A is extremely important, the correct exhaust has made a lot of difference and now I am trying to fix the other parts of the puzzle.
I agree that the horn is one of the most important aspects of the model A and mine has the "OG" but no "aaaaa"
It is killing me,,,,
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
Pilotdave

A&L is located in New Hartford, CT. They don't have a website. I'm traveling so don't have access to their catalog and phone #. But I believe it's 860-693-2620.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Marshall57

Thank you for the phone #, I will get on the horn and see what a good one can be had for
Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
Bob C

The order number in their catalog is 860-693-0112.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
Marshall57

new number worked perfictly,,, catalog is on it's way,,,
Thanks again
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Pilotdave

The A&L catalog is a fun read - very dense and full of information. Lots of good stuff for your Model A. Sorry about the outdated phone #!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
HillbillyTim

I've got an A & L Horn on my car. I think it is well built, looks and sounds great. I'm very happy with it.

Tim
HillbillyTim is offline   Reply With Quote