Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
zoegrant

Default Which is the thrid brush ???

On the generator for a 36 Ford, the output adjustment is stated to be made from the 3rd generator brush. There are 3 brushes in the generator but which is #3 ???
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Which is the thrid brush ???

Standing on your drivers side, ie, the LH side of car, slip the cover band back. The upper brush you can see is the moveable third brush
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
koates

The 3rd brush is generally at the top of the Ford V8 generator and is more narrow in thickness than the other two brushes. To increase charge rate move 3rd brush in the direction of generator rotation. To decrease rate move brush against rotation. Don't make charge rate any higher than about 14 amps on an original Ford generator 1934-1938. Other years have different specifications. For daytime running on an original car you don't want the ammeter showing any more than 5 amps charge. Reading your original drivers handbook will give you some useful information here. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
cas3

get a fun projects cutout/regulator and forget the third brush
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
From another current thread, it seems to be easier said than done. It sounds like they are on backorder with no delivery date in sight,
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
cas3

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Denny, it seems that has been the case for a while now. every time i have tried to order one for about two years they are out. not sure if they sell out that fast, or are none being made. i know john regan the fellow who made them wanted to retire, but the story was that his product line was to be continued by someone else. he makes some parts for early brass model t's also. no facts here, just some speculation...hope they continue to be made, i have two, they are wonderful
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #7
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
You cant just "FORGET" the third brush if using a FUN PROJECTS regulator. The third brush is still in the circuit and has to be set to the rating as per the instructions that come with the Fun Projects regulator. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
tubman

Hmmmm. I'm starting to wonder if this is something I should look at getting into. It has to be real simple and easy to do. I had a problem with the voltage regulator on my Corvette, so I bought a commercially available 12 volt solid state unit and put it into the originals (dated - don't you hate Corvette nerds?) voltage regulator case and it has been perfe4ct ever since.

I looked into this a little about 6 months ago, and while 12 volts units are available, the only thing I found for 6 volts was a unit made in England for old Jaguars and priced accordingly.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
cas3

koates...set it...and for get it. i have sealed beams on one car and the fp regulator keeps up fine with the extra load. been on about 8 years now
Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #10
flatheadmurre

You set the brush for the desired max output even when using the fun regulator...for 2 reasons the fun regulator donīt have current regulation and canīt handle more power...and the armature on the old generators burn out fast loading them hard.
My 6v 2 brush solidstate regulators are now out on field testing...and a 3 brush with current regulation is on the workbench they donīt need the current to be regulated by the 3rd brush...you just set it to max.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:38 PM   #11
Brian

I ran a 3 brush generator for years on my daily driven 35. Man that was an exceptional generator....wish I still had it. It would push more than 30 amps; push the ammeter needle off the scale, but I digress....
Thing is, these things are so simple. I ran the cover band just sufficiently loose to enable it to be easily slid back. I'd move the brush up for daytime driving, enough so that the ammeter indicated about 3 amps charge at some engine revs. Come nightfall, stop the car at side of road, no need to even switch off, slide cover back, move brush down so that ammeter indicated about 3 amps charge with headlites on and a few engine revs, slide cover back. After a while, this becomes second nature, and you 'know' just how far to move the brush to suit each application. Never, ever gave any problems in hundreds of thousands of miles.

As I said, it was an exceptional generator. Would appear, reading posts on here, that this style of generator is very limited in its output...dunno. I only changed it out when I [so wisely- yeah right!!] went 12 volt with an alternator. When I was a rodder. Now gone full circle again and running 3 brush.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
cas3

i forget the setup instructions from fp, but i have the system set so that with my sealed beams on the ammeter is showing nearly zero, hopefully on the plus side. never have checked with a real meter. would i drive all night like this? perhaps not, but usually its lights on while driving home so if the battery ends up low, i dont care, it will charge next time i drive in daylight. i am aware that model a generators will burn up when loaded too much, so i have not raised the output...it works fine like it is. this car see's use all winter when daylight ends at 430ish, so the lights get used, always starts, even in winter. about 30k on it in the 10 years i have run it. in summer, it relaxes while i drive a roadster which needs an fp regulator as i have burned up a couple battery's from too much charge/too lazy to check water. lets hear some more about your regulators murre, sounds good to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0567.JPG (104.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
flatheadmurre

Got so tired of the poor quality regulators available today that i have designed a solidstate version. It puts out 30A in Std 6v Pos Grd version. It will be marine grade potted to make sure it will last in moisture. I have cast a lid that acts as a heatsink but if the original sheetmetal is prefered i can try and work that out to. Will be sold with a limited lifetime warranty...if you bought it from me directly and it hasnīt been struck by lightning or Mr Red Green you will never have to by another to replace it...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
zoegrant

Flatheadmurre...let the group know when they are available for sale...
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
tubman

Murre - It sounds like you have developed an actual voltage regulator replacement (a 3X5 box that mounts on the firewall). Are you planning a little round version to mount on the generator for the early cars? If so, I'll butt out. It sounds like those are unavailable for the foreseeable future.