Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default aluminum 'welding' Q...

Can anyone here who knows welding, say whether this broken '32 alum side cover can be successfully repaired (i.e.- looks/strength) ? Or do I have to recycle it ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (60.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (43.5 KB, 129 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
trevo

Default Re: aluminum 'welding' Q...

Providing it is Aluminium and not an odd alloy looks easy enough from your photos though it looks good quality to me cheers
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
1931flathead

have some bolt it down to something and have it tig weld it v it out before they do it Aluminium will
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
woodiewagon46

Yes, I would suggest TIG welding. One thing you must consider is the porosity of the aluminum. I once tried to repair a cracked, aluminum, '32 oil pan and despite several cleaning attempts every time I got a weld flowing I could actually see the oil coming to the surface. I had to have the pan heated vapor degreased.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
AnthonyG

The cover looks to be a casting. Aluminum castings have irregular & more porosity than extruded or rolled aluminum which can as Woody indicates hold oil but even if clean can easily blow out with conventional Tig welding. You might be better off soldering, here's a good tech read on soldering aluminum. https://app.aws.org/wj/2004/02/046/

Last edited by AnthonyG; 04-21-2017 at 08:38 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
The cover looks to be a casting. Aluminum castings have irregular & more porosity than extruded or rolled aluminum which can as Woody indicates hold oil but even if clean can easily blow out with conventional Tig welding. You might be better off soldering, here's a good tech read on soldering aluminum. https://app.aws.org/wj/2004/02/046/
Hey AnthonyG,
Thanks much for this good read !
Yeah, this is an OLD casted side plate. It is thicker than most that I've ever seen, so very sturdy...but obviously brittle.

I think that I'm going to try it (welding/soldering) myself, after reading all these guys input ! Good tips for neophyte !

Have you ever heard of or used alum welding or alum repair rod named: HTS-2000 ? I just found this product and it says can be used without flux.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
Vics Stuff

Been welding aluminum for over 4 decades. As mentioned that you could tig weld the aluminum. You will 1st need to thoroughly scrub that area with powdered laundry detergent. Thuroughly wash the area with clean water . Next I would use a stainless steel brush to scrub that area again. Remember that the brush has to not touch any steel before. otherwise the stainless steel brush is not good for cleaning any aluminum any more.
Next Vee groove the area to be welded. When attempting to tig this piece i would recommend to pre heat the area to help in the welding process and also to check if the aluminum still carries any contaminents.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Can anyone here who knows welding, say whether this broken '32 alum side cover can be successfully repaired (i.e.- looks/strength) ? Or do I have to recycle it ?
I have used MUGGYWELD with success in the past. You don't need a Tig welder.
Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNC8Uivmqwk

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-22-2017 at 04:32 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
big job

I'll get scuttled for this, I would just use epoxy, JB weld, or RTV sealant. Why? this part
is not structural, it is not pressurized, does not hold fluid etc. More to keep dust & dirt
out. Early Model T's had nothing but an open chamber. So just epoxy and clamp the
cover & sand and a coat of paint of your choice.....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
rich b

If you intend to use it or if appearance is a factor, I would have it tig welded, following the above advice regarding cleaning, "cooking" the oil out, etc, probably the most important step. Maybe, back shield the seam while welding. Once welded; you should be able to cut the weld down and refinish it. The filler rod usually ends up a different color, not always real noticeable; but more so if polished.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
If you intend to use it or if appearance is a factor, I would have it tig welded, following the above advice regarding cleaning, "cooking" the oil out, etc, probably the most important step. Maybe, back shield the seam while welding. Once welded; you should be able to cut the weld down and refinish it. The filler rod usually ends up a different color, not always real noticeable; but more so if polished.
I would also recommend TIG welding. The weld may match the original
base metal. The different color when welding extrusions is due to the
weld is more like cast metal. On a casting it should match pretty good.
I started welding aluminum 70 years ago before TIG, all we had was
gas welding rods used with flux. I had one of the first TIG welders in
the Phila. Pa area. I used a high freq. unit that was used to make stick
electrodes easy to start, a small push button switch taped to the handle
of the torch and a 110 volt solenoid valve on the gas gauge. No flow
meter, an oxy gauge set at about 18 lbs. This was attached to a 180
amp AC Lincoln stick machine. Don't sound like much but it was a
big advance over the gas torch. Have all the equipment now but have
not done much aluminum welding in years. G.M.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vics Stuff View Post
Been welding aluminum for over 4 decades. As mentioned that you could tig weld the aluminum. You will 1st need to thoroughly scrub that area with powdered laundry detergent. Thuroughly wash the area with clean water . Next I would use a stainless steel brush to scrub that area again. Remember that the brush has to not touch any steel before. otherwise the stainless steel brush is not good for cleaning any aluminum any more.
Next Vee groove the area to be welded. When attempting to tig this piece i would recommend to pre heat the area to help in the welding process and also to check if the aluminum still carries any contaminents.
Vic
Hey Vic,
Great tech and that I can do , to get ready for a tig welder
Thanks for sharing over 40 yrs of experience !!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
I have used MUGGYWELD with success in the past. You don't need a Tig welder.
Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNC8Uivmqwk
Very helpful, and since I do not have a tig welder....this may be my route !
Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
I'll get scuttled for this, I would just use epoxy, JB weld, or RTV sealant. Why? this part
is not structural, it is not pressurized, does not hold fluid etc. More to keep dust & dirt
out. Early Model T's had nothing but an open chamber. So just epoxy and clamp the
cover & sand and a coat of paint of your choice.....
No scuttling here !
If you look closely at my pics, you will see some type of 'weld' material that possibly fits into your suggested items. So , I'm thankful for your suggestions, but shy to use what someone tried before me.
BTW..I use '32 B blocks and fully pressurize the oiling system. So, the inside of this cover, especially the lower 2 inches , where high pressure runs, is constantly subjected to oil pressure.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
G.M. and rich b,
Appreciate your sharing these tips and your knowledge, so:
Clean, Vee area, stainless brush, clamping, backing, pre-heating and refinishing.
I'll let you guys know what process used and if/ when completed
Old 04-23-2017, 04:13 AM   #16
JWL
Member Emeritus

Here are the facts as I see them. And, I say these things after TIG welding thousands of aluminum joints.

If you are not going to do the job yourself, do not follow any advice about how to clean or "Vee" groove or any other preparation step. Leave that for the professional selected to do the job. In most cases the job is made more difficult when the inexperienced "helper" gets involved. I would much rather do the prep the way I want it done.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
tubman

After seeing the thread on the 32 water pump ($500 for a rebuilt!), I have believe that is one valuable part you have there. I'd only trust that to a very experienced professional with a good reputation (they are out there). I had a similar experience with a motor mount tab broken off a fresh, full-race early hemi. After going through this same sort of exercise, I found a guy who specialized in this sort of thing, and I'm glad I did
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Here are the facts as I see them. And, I say these things after TIG welding thousands of aluminum joints.

If you are not going to do the job yourself, do not follow any advice about how to clean or "Vee" groove or any other preparation step. Leave that for the professional selected to do the job. In most cases the job is made more difficult when the inexperienced "helper" gets involved. I would much rather do the prep the way I want it done.
Hey JWL,
Darn good advice , thanks !
I've had same thoughts, and I've been there and done that...regarding cleaning up after someone's 'mess'.
Note:
Just got a great PM tip to check out a professional , said to be capable of making this repair (thanks Jerry !).
Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
After seeing the thread on the 32 water pump ($500 for a rebuilt!), I have believe that is one valuable part you have there. I'd only trust that to a very experienced professional with a good reputation (they are out there). I had a similar experience with a motor mount tab broken off a fresh, full-race early hemi. After going through this same sort of exercise, I found a guy who specialized in this sort of thing, and I'm glad I did
Hey tubman,
Yeah, my eyes bulged a little at that $500. figure also !
I'm a DIY kind and 'takes my chances' at times, knowing that IT might be scrapped or not. But, this side plate came to me from a 100 yr old banger builder/racer (RIP) whose last B block I just rebuilt and I think that he would smile at this warmed up '32 ! I'd like to use this side cover on my next build, as it is an OHV side cover and thicker than any I've seen.