Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
somethingspecial

Wink 31 s/w t.s. front seat assembly

Since its cold up here I'm working on my interior in my basement. I have the front assembly, which is all steel, is there wood that is mounted on the inside of it ? Also what is screwed on the top groove of it ? Does any body have pics. Of this. Any sizes of the wood or a kit that I can buy ? Car came with no interior but bought L&B interior in the 90's . Also looking for info for the back arm rest that mount just below the quarter windows? Any and all help is ap preciated. 28 special coupe and 31 s/w town sedan.
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
edzaha

Default Re: 31 s/w t.s. front seat assembly

There are a couple strips of wood for tacking on the sides of the seat frame. I have a frame uncovered but we have so much snow I wont get to it for a month. They are bolted to the holes on the inside of the frame on each side for tacking the material to. The groove on top also has a wood strip fitted in it for tacking. The top one is tricky to make because of the curve but you an get some upholstery tacking strips, plastic I believe from LB for this. The arm rests are or were available from LB when I did mine, they make the frame and the covering and it nails to the wood in the back.
edzaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
somethingspecial

edzaha, thanks for the info I'll check out LB , as for the snow I know what you mean!!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
apbright

Here's a picture of the one I happen to have pulled out of my car yesterday. The two pieces of wood I see are a short part ~1/3 from the top, and a longer, skinner one towards the bottom.

Regarding the thing that is screwed to the top of it, I'm not 100% sure I understand that you mean, but here attached is a picture of what I think you mean, as well as a detail shot if it. It seems to be the thing that the upholstery is tacked to. I was just asking people here in the Barn about how to renovate that top rim item; here are the replies I got on that:
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...752#post817752
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontSeat.jpg (60.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg FrontSeatTopRim.jpg (39.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg FrontSeatTopRimDetail.jpg (25.5 KB, 41 views)
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
somethingspecial

Thanks,apbright can you take a closer pic of the assembly also the side of the inner curve of the assembly . I understand the top part now and hope you can help out. Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Charles Coe

Here's a link to Doug in NJ's website with pics of his seat when he was working on it:
http://dougbraun.com/model_a_gallery...=10&g2_page=36
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Terry,NJ

Pardon the delay in responding, I just found this thread. If you go to my profile and look under "My TS" you'll see some pics of my front seat. I made the wood and the springs myself. I got the dimensions off the old wood and I'll be glad to share them with you.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
jm29henry

Charles coe a picture is worth a thousand words!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Doug in NJ

There was a good thread about a week ago, concerning that tack strip that runs along the top edge of the metal seat back. Definitely go look and read that.

The seatback also has a couple of wooden tack strips that run up each side, and a third one that runs sideways near the bottom. These are easily reproduced with hardwood strips (I used oak from Home Depot).

There are also some tack strips that go on each side, on the seat bottom.
They are riveted in place. Tacks go into them from below, through slots in the metal seat base.
On my car, they were made of some sort of crumbling leathery stuff. I replaced them with strips of plywood: http://31ford.dougbraun.com/All_Photos/IMG_3120

People often ask: "How were the seat back springs attached to the seat back?".
They weren't, really. They were enclosed in the upholstery, and ended up sort of hanging from the top of the seatback.

Doug

Last edited by Doug in NJ; 02-24-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Doug in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
somethingspecial

Doug, and everybody , thanks for your input on my questions that I requested. I will be making progress once the weather to break to make the wood pieces on my shopsmith thank you all. Somethingspecial
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
Terry,NJ

Doug, I'm especially interested in the treatment of of the steel seat back. This is 100% covered, right? Did you use one of the kits (L-B, etc)? Or did you buy the fabric and scratch build it? I see by coil count that your springs are not an exact match, did you fabricate the spring yourself? I may use the old back rest springs, but the seat springs must be replaced. Thanks!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Doug in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Doug, I'm especially interested in the treatment of of the steel seat back. This is 100% covered, right? Did you use one of the kits (L-B, etc)? Or did you buy the fabric and scratch build it? I see by coil count that your springs are not an exact match, did you fabricate the spring yourself? I may use the old back rest springs, but the seat springs must be replaced. Thanks!
Terry
I used a L-B kit, which worked well for the seat. The back is 100% covered with (expensive) mohair. Like you, my seat back springs were OK, but the base springs were shot. I ordered the replacement you saw in the photo from Snyders, and I was not happy with the match. So I returned it, and also sent my old spring to them so they could custom-make a new one to match it. They were very good about this.

On my rear seat base springs, some of the straight wires were damaged. I got some matching steel wire and those funny metal clips from an upholstery supply place, and I repaired it.

Doug