Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default History

As avid history buff, I've been amazed when driving my model A just a sense of age and time I get when driving this car (all new to me as a 6 week first time owner)... Also, from watching a WWII documentary the past few days and seeing that model As were around even before things really went mad in the late 30s and early 40s, it is truly amazing that we have any of these cars still here, in fact we're still here... With that, Thank you Veterans...
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Terry,NJ

Default Re: History

I second that!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, Vermin's 85 now, I'm ONLY 78, wish I "RAN" that well. Maybe a COMPLETE RESTORATION is on the agenda?? Should I go for RE-POP parts or NOS?----Bill W.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
John LaVoy

Bill, you will get mixed responses to repop vs original. I've been playing with Model As for 50+ years and suffered through about everything that can go wrong. I've had the experience of poorly made parts (one of the reasons I started the Model A Times magazine) and the difficulty of finding quality original stuff. Of course what we called junk 50 years ago is now being used. So it is a choice you have to make. what do you plan on doing with the car? If not going blue ribbon show it might be easier and less expensive to use repro stuff. You can find pretty much everything being made now. Ford Motor Company is licensing many items. But there are many more that don't need or get the license. When we did the roadster pickup at Ford's request we found pretty much anything and everything being made to create a Model A from new parts.

The picture is the roadster pickup in the Ford booth at the SEMA show in 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEMA 2012 RP with sign.jpg (72.6 KB, 47 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
jthomas6

John,
I think he was talking about himself, not the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I'm ONLY 78, wish I "RAN" that well. Maybe a COMPLETE RESTORATION is on the agenda??----Bill W.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
newshirt

msh,
Yeah, history geek! Drive your A to work. Get a Victor Talking Machine and listen to Paul Whiteman and his orchestra. Chop a stack of wood. Sit next to a potbelly and talk. Turn off the computer and TV, and read books. Play checkers. Get the early 20th Century pace of life into your being. It was so different than today, huh? Wife says, no thanks, I like the 21st Century.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Thumbs up Re: History

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Well, Vermin's 85 now, I'm ONLY 78, wish I "RAN" that well. Maybe a COMPLETE RESTORATION is on the agenda?? Should I go for RE-POP parts or NOS?----Bill W.
Bill. Please don't change a thing. No restoration needed or wanted. We like you just the way you are !
The mayor of Fordbarn ( you ) has to be just the way you are ! Knowledgable, witty and thick skinned ! So for your 79 birthday just give us more of the same !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
msh,
Yeah, history geek! Drive your A to work. Get a Victor Talking Machine and listen to Paul Whiteman and his orchestra. Chop a stack of wood. Sit next to a potbelly and talk. Turn off the computer and TV, and read books. Play checkers. Get the early 20th Century pace of life into your being. It was so different than today, huh? Wife says, no thanks, I like the 21st Century.
I was thinking of that... I work not too far from this building

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/o...serve/0011.jpg (Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank)... I could do a knock off shot of this:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CF1D12F5335C50

Oh and my Mrs. Likes the idea of dressing in period cloths, I think it would fun as well.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
As avid history buff, I've been amazed when driving my model A just a sense of age and time I get when driving this car (all new to me as a 6 week first time owner)... Also, from watching a WWII documentary the past few days and seeing that model As were around even before things really went mad in the late 30s and early 40s, it is truly amazing that we have any of these cars still here, in fact we're still here... With that, Thank you Veterans...
do you ever stop to reflect on how different our society was back in the heyday of these cars? How they were often parked on public streets with minimal fear of theft of spare tires, items under the seats, or even the car itself? That if you conked out while driving, you could likely leave the car without fear coming back to a stripped vehicle on blocks?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote