Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
JasonGauthier

Default Hershey Friday?

My son and I planned to drive up to Hershey Friday. I heard from someone on Tuesday, that the majority of people were packing up before today's rain and the car corral was emptying. Will it be worth the trip Friday? My son wanted to see the high wheeler event at the stadium and we were looking forward to seeing a lot of cars in the corral.

Thanks - Jason
JasonGauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Hershey Friday?

Jason, I am not there this year but have attended for many years as a vendor, and exhibitor, as a buyer, and as a spectator. I think Hershey is what you make of it, ...and what your goals are. Therefore, for us to tell you whether it would be "worth it" would just be speculative on our parts.

High Wheelers are a blast to watch as they circle the track. You might have just as much fun going on Saturday to watch them arrive at the car show. The admission to the car show is free and you can walk the area of classes that holds the most interest for you. Below is a picture of me driving a 1931 Roadster to the show field area last year. Look at all the spectators watching the parade of show vehicles pass by.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
JasonGauthier

I think our biggest concern was that if it rains, a lot of cars would end up back in trailers and the high wheeler event would be cancelled.

However, since posting my initial message, my wife has given our son the option of going to Hershey or school. It wasn't a difficult decision for him . . . we'll be there tomorrow if we have to swim there!

Jason
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Started pouring this afternoon here in Hershey; latest info is that we'll get more of the same tomorrow. BUT who knows for sure? We'll see what tomorrow brings when it gets here.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
5window

If it rains to hard-take the Free shuttle over to the AACA Museum-it's only 5 minutes away and well worth the trip-plus it's warm and dry. Some folks might go, but others will stay and there will be deals to be had-or your son could look through the abandoned piles of stuff for treasures like hubcaps or cool junk.

I always think of Winnie the Pooh's friend, Christopher Robin-he didn't care what the weather was as long as he was out in it. Whatever the weather, it sure beats working!
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
SUHRsc

Your only in MD... bring 2 pairs of shoes though, I had a wet left foot for half the day today!

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
If it rains to hard-take the Free shuttle over to the AACA Museum-it's only 5 minutes away and well worth the trip-plus it's warm and dry.
We left during the deluge and went to the Museum today. I was down in the basement getting ready to walk into the train layout room when all the lights went out in the building. Think they were out for 30 minutes or so. We just hung out, what else could we do?

-Tim

(p.s. for anyone interested, I've taken 1163 pictures so far this week. Give me some time to get them up online and posted in my annual thread once I get home Saturday.)
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
We left during the deluge and went to the Museum today. I was down in the basement getting ready to walk into the train layout room when all the lights went out in the building. Think they were out for 30 minutes or so. We just hung out, what else could we do?

-Tim

(p.s. for anyone interested, I've taken 1163 pictures so far this week. Give me some time to get them up online and posted in my annual thread once I get home Saturday.)
You could have turned on your free H/F pocket flastlight.
If it works, that is. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
JasonGauthier

Overall an OK trip to Hershey today. We got soaked and the high wheeler event was cancelled. However, we did come home with chocolate. There were a lot more cars in the coral than I expected and my son got lots of photos to bring to school Monday.

Since so many people talk about attending Hershey 20, 30, 40+ years in a row, at least we haven't broken our 2 year streak! According to my son, "Being wet and muddy at Hershey was better than being dry and bored at school." Hopefully, we'll have better luck with the high wheelers next year.

Jason
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Clem Clement

I left Friday morning about 10. It was pouring. I had a super time and tole not one lie!!

Did the Hershey band play Thursday nite in the Chocolate field?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
5window

I live 80 miles form Hershey. I went Wednesday and walked 13+ miles looking at the vendor's treasures. I went back today to look at the judged cars. Of course, most of the vendors are gone bewtween the effects of the rain and some perverse timing. ( I can't figure out why someone would pay for spaces, wait out 2 days of rain and start packing up at 9AM on Saturday when there were still quite a few folkas walking around?) In any case, the car corral was still fun and the judged /show care were amazing. My 5 year old granddaughter had a great time and we talked alot obout different cars and looked at a lot of fire engines. Good times.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
rosenkranswa

We're about 75 miles from Hershey and went over on Wednesday. Had a great day walking the aisles and made a couple purchases for my Speedster project, and a very nice T radiator blanket accessory that my daughter spotted and couldn't do without for Bessie, our '26 Touring. Agonized over a WWII Army phonograph before deciding the price being asked, even negotiated down a bit, was too much. Didn't see anything for the A's or V8's we couldn't live without. Glad we were home though Thursday and Friday.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer