Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
28 Special Coupe

Default Threaded 2-piece crankshaft pulley

I've read several posts on the pros and cons of two piece crankshaft pulleys so I'm aware of the potential problems related to the notched type that Snyder's and Bratton's sells. My question specifically relates to the type that Mac's and Mike's sells that has a left-hand threaded shaft that the pulley screws onto. Have any of you tried one of these pulleys? It seems to me that it won't have the pitfalls of the notches wearing down if the ratchet nut loosens and will have the benefits of easier installation without removing the radiator. Is there somthing I'm not thinking of? Thanks.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: Threaded 2-piece crankshaft pulley

I have worked on a couple of cars that had these on them. I find when you try to tighten the crank nut that the pulley will want to seperate. If this happens, the least little bit, you will not have a tight fit. Vibration can then cause it to loosen up. I don't like them at all. I will never use this type.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
28 Special Coupe

Thanks for your response, fordfixer. I didn't think of that. I can see where that would be a problem with left-hand threads on the pulley and right-hand threads on the ratchet nut. Maybe that's why Snyder's and Bratton's don't sell them.

Does anyone who likes the threaded type want to voice your opinion? I'd like to hear it.

I have the notched 2-piece on my car now, but it's damaged and making all kinds of noise. I'm not sure I want to replace it with the same kind, but I also don't care to remove the radiator and jack up the engine for a one piece either. That's why I'm soliciting opinions on the threaded type. Thanks.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

I have one on my '29, havent fired it yet. I put blue Loctite on the L/H threads so they wouldn't loosen when I tightened the crank nut.
I was going to use modern front seal, but where the hub runs in the seal, there are minute pits in the surface, even after polishing it. The pits would wear on the sealing lip of the seal, so I just went back to the rope seal. Bill W.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
columbiA

Years ago,I had a bad knock at the front of the engine & it turned out to be the notched 2-piece pully.Some are not made very well & are a fraction too short,so when the nut is tightened the pulley is still not tight.A thin washer with the ID of the CS could be placed behind the nut to tighten it.As for me,I like to use the 1-piece pulley. If I was to use a 2-piece pully,I think I would use the LH threaded type & use some blue loktite on the threads& when its set up then tighten the ratchet.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
Years ago,I had a bad knock at the front of the engine & it turned out to be the notched 2-piece pully.Some are not made very well & are a fraction too short,so when the nut is tightened the pulley is still not tight.A thin washer with the ID of the CS could be placed behind the nut to tighten it.As for me,I like to use the 1-piece pulley. If I was to use a 2-piece pully,I think I would use the LH threaded type & use some blue loktite on the threads& when its set up then tighten the ratchet.
I was forced to use the two piece, as someone welded the crank guide block to the crossmember on one side, I don't know why?? To get my pulley off, I pulled it forward and sawed it off with a Saws-All. I think the new pulley will work fine. It looks just like a stock when it's installed. (If my one critical Barner criticizes it, I don't give a s**t)
Bill W. in person, The Ghost was Fired
My sword wound is healed & my skin's getting thicker.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
John LaVoy

Several years ago we reviewed the various crankshaft pulleys in the Model A Times. At that time all of the two piece units had problems with being either too short front to back or the diameter was incorrect allowing the oil to leak past the seal. Since then Snyder's has redone their two piece unit to match the dimensions in the Ford blue prints for the crankshaft pulley.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
V4F

just be very sure that the 2 piece tightens up correctly . i lost 2 front pulleys because the got tight b 4 they were tight together . i used a large center washer to get it correct . when you tighten it , be sure the back parts does not move at all ! if not sure , redo it . they tend to get tight on the crank , but not tight together . hope this is clear ....
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
SteveB31

Spend the time installing a one piece pulley. They almost never fail, as the two piece pulleys fail all the time, as the two pieces of the pully wear each other out. A little more time spent doing it right, make it so youwont have to do it again later.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote