Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: '38 Ford gear oil flowing from trans to diff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Awesome, thank you.

JM 35 SEDAN I Sent you a PM if you can let me know what your asking for sleeve and bearing.
Will, I responded back to you via Fordbarn pm earlier today. I'll double check to make sure it actually went out.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
19Fordy

For info. about torque tube center bearing read this:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...center+bearing

Here's what my original 40 Ford center bearing looked like in 2017 when I replaced it. The car was "raked" and banjo oil went into torque tube and dissolved the rubber encasing the bearing. It was just a pile of "goo" with a metal bearing hiding inside. The outside grease fitting does line up with a "lube hole" in the bearing rubber casing.

OEM bearings (3rd photo) are impossible to find and if you do find one be prepared to "
step up" to some high dollars, like several hundred dollar bills.

Installing the OEM bearing requires a special KR Wilson tool. Otherwise, it's extremely difficult to do. Best to go with Skip's bearing. Cheaper and easier to install. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9342b.jpg (61.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9347b.jpg (39.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9633b.jpg (47.1 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #23
Will D

Thanks 19Fordy. That's quite the goo pile. Mine wasn't quite that bad, the rubber in the center was ok but the outside 1/4" on both sides was dissoled/dissolving. I'm waiting to receive replacement from Skip. I almost choked on the price after converting from our VERY poor Canadian dollar, I can't imagine OEM bearing pricing...
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #24
Will D

Would it be wise to install a zerk in the torque tube to lubricate the front roller bearing? Currently there is not one, the closest zerk is in the clam shell. There is one on the attached photo were I'm thinking one should be on my torque tube, I'm assuming the pic is of a hollow drive shaft given the width(taken from VP website).

Pack the bearing and install as is or install zerk?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200411_204336.jpg (17.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
rotorwrench

It should get enough lubricant from the U-joint cavity overflow. Ford had it designed that way so they didn't put a zerk in most I've seen. I'm not sure how easy it would be to put one in the average Ford torque tube. The bearing and outer race take up a lot of the room in there. The grease fitting would have to be pretty shallow in the depth it protrudes if one is installed. The speedometer drive is also mounted pretty close there. It can be removed if someone wants to put some lube in there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #26
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It should get enough lubricant from the U-joint cavity overflow. Ford had it designed that way so they didn't put a zerk in most I've seen. I'm not sure how easy it would be to put one in the average Ford torque tube. The bearing and outer race take up a lot of the room in there. The grease fitting would have to be pretty shallow in the depth it protrudes if one is installed. The speedometer drive is also mounted pretty close there. It can be removed if someone wants to put some lube in there.

Thanks rotorwrench. I'll leave as is.

The good ol waiting game now...all parts, pieces, gaskets and seals in mail and enroute. Can't wait to get this thing back together!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

Keep us posted Will...and good luck!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #28
Will D

So..... I've got the differential back together. New seals, carrier bearings/races and new to me, used axles. I reused the pinion, ring gear and pinion bearings/race as they were in great shape. Was quite the task but with the help of a couple resources I found online, vern tardels book and numerous threads/forums from the fabulous folks on the ford barn and hamb it's together and waiting for paint to cure/harden before finally assembly of torque tube, spring and finally into the car. I ended up purchasing a 12ton hydraulic press(luckily on sale) which made the job so much easier and cost effective.

Upon further inspection I decided to replace the spring shackles. To say this job is a PITA is an understatement! The ones in the spring came out with the hydraulic press no problem. But the ones in the axle housing were a different story. I made a hand press with some scraps I had kickin' around which helped for the left side but not so much the right. After hammering out the bolt, the hand press pushed out the metal sleeve with ease. However, the right side not so much. It would not budge! I ended up using the hacksaw method to cut into it, once I was thru enough I wedged in a screw driver to curl the sleeve enough to put in some penetrating fluid. I was then able to press it out. The handle on the press pictured is really of no use, was on the threaded rod already, I just used a long wrench over the stub for leverage.

Can't wait for final assembly and installation! At least I still have some summer left to hit the road!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200614_175045_resized.jpg (42.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_144353_resized.jpg (59.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_145633_resized.jpg (66.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #29
Will D

Pretty excited to test the results of my transverse leaf spring lubrication experiment. Due to location and current covid situation I was not able to acquire any "slip plate" and am not a big fan of the Teflon strips for my leaf spring. The only dry lubricant available is an airosolized graphite, thinking it wouldn't last long I decided to get creative and try something different.

I mixed 26grams dry flake graphite powder with 625ml tremclad oil based gloss paint. I made a mini paint mixing tool for my drill and very slowly added the graphite while mixing the paint.

All the leaves were separated and taken down to bare metal. After applying an etching primer I applied the first coat of pre mixed graphite/paint. After allowed to dry and cure a second coat was applied. This time before paint was allowed to dry I shook 6.5g of dry flake graphite evenly over each leaf. This was done to both sides of each leaf(except bottom of last leaf and top of first leaf). Once the leaves cured and hardened they were assembled and sprayed as a whole with the same paint but without the graphite.

Will keep you posted as to the final results.

After first coat of paint/ graphite mix

After second coat of paint/ graphite mix and dusted with flake graphite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200613_142950_resized.jpg (34.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 20200615_211253_resized.jpg (43.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #30
Will D

New spring shackles finally arrived, no thanks to Canadian customs who held them for over a week. Between multiple other projects and the honey do list, I managed to get it all assembled today. Tomorrow I can instal it into the car If all goes well new rubber going on early in the week, get insurance and on the road by next weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200627_194512_resized.jpg (36.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20200627_193836_resized.jpg (82.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #31
RKS.PA

Will, this has been quite a project for you!!! Nice job from the looks of your pictures.
I went through a similar process with my '39 and because I didn't have a shop press, made a great connection with a machine shop and machinist! Your description of the spring perch removal brought back old "memories" !!

Best of luck!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #32
David J

What direction did you install the front driveshaft seal ? Some have installed these backwards .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #33
JM 35 Sedan

Nice job Will!! Waiting to hear final results on road test!!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #34
Zeke3

Great looking rear axle. I still have to tackle that job. Be sure to install an anti-squeak pad for the rear spring, between the spring and the crossmember.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #35
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
What direction did you install the front driveshaft seal ? Some have installed these backwards .
1. Driveshaft seal: Sharp edge/open spring side facing U joint.
2. Inner axle seals: Sharp edge/ open spring side facing differential.
3. Drum brake seal: Sharp edge/ open spring side facing toward roller bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Great looking rear axle. I still have to tackle that job. Be sure to install an anti-squeak pad for the rear spring, between the spring and the crossmember.
Thank you Zeke3. I did install an anti-squeak pad between the spring and crossmember.

Got it all bolted back in and new brake cables installed. Tomorrow after work I can adjust the brakes and put the floor back together in the cab. A guy could really use 3 other hands to install the clam shell....

The driveshaft and u joint lined up well. I had the diff sitting on a 4 wheel dolly with a just enough clearance between the spring and cross member. One i got it aligned and started from the top side I was able to hold onto the rear bumper, with my feet on either side of the diff on the axle housings it pushed right on/together.

One more step closer
Old 06-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #36
David J

Results of quiz = 100% .

Good job !
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 AM   #37
Will D

Road test went Great! no issues, funny noises or leaks. I managed to get off work early today and get insurance. Put on 80 miles and had a blast! Sure missed driving er. Just about got a deer on the way home, thank God he didn't stop, just trotted right across. Sure made my heart jump

Thank you to everyone who helped with direction, advice and parts! Sure wouldn't have got her back together without all the great help on the Ford Barn
Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 AM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Thank you to everyone who helped with direction, advice and parts! Sure wouldn't have got her back together without all the great help on the Ford Barn

Is this a great place, or what? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote