Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Lona

Default Never too late

Went to a local volunteer fireman fair and auto show yesterday with our '31 roadster. We are usually the only Model A at these events but two others showed up. We had seen the '29 Phaeton once before at a July 4th parade. Says he only drives it a few times per year. But the nicely restored '29 tudor sedan was new to us.

I went over to chat with the driver about his car. Turns out he had fond memories of riding in the rumble seat of his dad's roadster when he was a kid and always loved Model A's. He said he only bought this, his first Model A, about 18 months ago. Said he was lonely after his wife passed away and needed something to do to keep him busy.

He is 90 years old.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Never too late

goodo for him and for you in reporting. I suggest you see if he will join you Club. Club activity is just the thing for helping with the loss of someone.
What is the car's name?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
Went to a local volunteer fireman fair and auto show yesterday with our '31 roadster. We are usually the only Model A at these events but two others showed up. We had seen the '29 Phaeton once before at a July 4th parade. Says he only drives it a few times per year. But the nicely restored '29 tudor sedan was new to us.

I went over to chat with the driver about his car. Turns out he had fond memories of riding in the rumble seat of his dad's roadster when he was a kid and always loved Model A's. He said he only bought this, his first Model A, about 18 months ago. Said he was lonely after his wife passed away and needed something to do to keep him busy.

He is 90 years old.

Glen
Great story to start the day. I hope there is a local club he can join to find some like minded people to 'hang out with'.

We have a 'older' gentleman in our club that doesn't even have a Model A, he just enjoys the companionship.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Jim M

I have a man who is 90 in my A club and he was on his back under my car a couple of weeks ago looking at my flywheel! He drove his A about 25 miles to get here. The local clubs and this forum make a great number of people happy. Looking at all the new posts is the SECOND thing I do as soon as I get up (I guess getting my cup of coffee doesn't count......lol). Wonderful hobby and wonderful people.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

I dont really figure I'll make it to 90, but if I do I hope I still feel like buying another Model A.
Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Lona

Sadly, we don't have a Model A club anywhere near us but do have an all marque club where folks with any kind of car can join. I did talk to our club president after meeting this gentleman about contacting him to join us and was advised the invitation is already in progress as he had attended another show last month without his Model A and talked to some of our members. He drove his car about 35 miles on back roads to the event yesterday.

He's an interesting guy. Said he fought on Okinawa in WWII in 1945 and got a bayonet would in his side during hand-to-hand combat. Spent the last days of the war in a hospital in Guam. Figure he had to be about 18 at the time. He has a place in Florida where he spends the winters, usually leaving on Nov 1 every year with his wife in their sailboat. Hasn't taken the boat out since she died and says he will put off the trip this year until he is ready.

We have another guy in the club who drives a pristine stock '40 Ford coupe. He's 92.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
Chuck Dempsey

The fellow might be one of the very few left us who got to ride home in a Model A, new from the dealer. He would have been a one year-old in 1928, a year younger for the following model years....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Synchro909

There has recently been some attention paid to the value of the old car movement in the community over here. It is surprising how many $ it contributes, to say nothing of the benefits to men's health. We have an organisation here (called Men's Shed) where groups of men gather for companionship and a feeling of belonging. (The PC brigade are now waning to open it to women but IMHO, that would ruin it. Go start your own!) Anyway, I digress. The benefits of belonging to a car club have been compared to Men's Shed with immeasurable benefits. I belong to 3 - does that mean I needed lots of help??
Old 10-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
mhsprecher

He has a place in Florida where he spends the winters, usually leaving on Nov 1 every year with his wife in their sailboat. Hasn't taken the boat out since she died and says he will put off the trip this year until he is ready.

So sorry to hear that. It sounds like they had a good life together. Good for him for finding something to keep busy with. If he is a sailor, he knows how to make do and make things happen. You did a good thing to talk with him.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey View Post
The fellow might be one of the very few left us who got to ride home in a Model A, new from the dealer. He would have been a one year-old in 1928, a year younger for the following model years....
When I was born, I rode home from the hospital in my Dad's 10+ year old Model A.
(or so I've been told)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
Clem Clement

I'm old. When I was born I walked home 8 miles along the railroad tracks in the snow picking up coal in my diapers for our Franklin stove. I skinned a sabre tooth on the way
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
chap52

Even without a club the door has opened for you to fellowship with someone with like interests. We all need to more aware of those doors that are opened for us. I missed one awhile back.
An older man got my phone number off of the for sale sign on my truck at a local restaurant and called to "chat". I was busy, called him back a couple of times, never got together. My son was coming over to help me replace a clutch and I mentioned it to the gent. He said he would love to just come over and watch us work on the truck. I was too focused on "me" and the project and didn't want another distraction so I never called him back.
What a "jerk", not him, me. Lost his number and missed an opportunity. Lesson learned...maybe!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
barnstuf

I have been following this discussion and finally decided to jump in. I am sure I am not the only member of Fordbarn who is over 90 years of age. In fact I am more than 90 and a WWII Normandy and beyond combat veteran, 29th Division I recall Dad buying a new Model A in 1928 which began my Model A experience. I have been an "A" owner since 1937, before I was old enough to have a drivers license. $10 bought a good running car then.

I appreciate the kind remarks made about elders and older Model A owners in this discussion and it is appreciated very much. It shows that there are folks on Fordbarn who are caring. However in running ads here on Fordbarn, to reduce a lifetime collection of parts, I have been treated rudely by some who ridicule me in eMails because of the fact I do not own a camera and cannot send a photo. My generation was not one where everybody had a camera and my daughter who used to post pictures for me for e/Bay sales and for Fordbarn sales has passed on. Sheila at MARC headquarters told me last year I am the longest term member of the club which is an honor I guess. In closing I have been on Fordbarn since Shelley first began running it, before Ryan's ownership.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
I'm old. When I was born I walked home 8 miles along the railroad tracks in the snow picking up coal in my diapers for our Franklin stove. I skinned a sabre tooth on the way
Wow, your my hero. I bet it was uphill the whole way too...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #15
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I have been following this discussion and finally decided to jump in. I am sure I am not the only member of Fordbarn who is over 90 years of age. In fact I am more than 90 and a WWII Normandy and beyond combat veteran, 29th Division I recall Dad buying a new Model A in 1928 which began my Model A experience. I have been an "A" owner since 1937, before I was old enough to have a drivers license. $10 bought a good running car then.

I appreciate the kind remarks made about elders and older Model A owners in this discussion and it is appreciated very much. It shows that there are folks on Fordbarn who are caring. However in running ads here on Fordbarn, to reduce a lifetime collection of parts, I have been treated rudely by some who ridicule me in eMails because of the fact I do not own a camera and cannot send a photo. My generation was not one where everybody had a camera and my daughter who used to post pictures for me for e/Bay sales and for Fordbarn sales has passed on. Sheila at MARC headquarters told me last year I am the longest term member of the club which is an honor I guess. In closing I have been on Fordbarn since Shelley first began running it, before Ryan's ownership.
I hope you make it to a 100, and beyond. Thanks for your service to our country, not so many left from your generation.
I guess I am in a club too of sorts...I can say I have bought parts from the " longest term member of MARC". .
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #16
Clem Clement

Barnstuf. Welcome and thanks for your service. I'm a youngen at 80.I got to mess with Cuba, pop some nucs and two tours in "nam." I can't post either. I miss Shelly as well and the old ahooga. My Daddy had 4 model As. He was a salesman and drove the cars hard. Over his lifetime he bought 25 straight Fords from ACE Motors of Woodbury, NJ.
Sometimes Mother got his old Ford. She drove from Jersey to Utah alone 7 times inT's.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #17
chap52

Kinda sad, we go to great expense and spend endless hours working on these old vehicles and many times turn away from the things that really matter, the people God has placed in our paths.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Kinda sad, we go to great expense and spend endless hours working on these old vehicles and many times turn away from the things that really matter, the people God has placed in our paths.
Hind sight is 20 20. The Elders have priceless insight and stories, they were there. I too am guilty of passing a lot of opportunities that I regret.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Conversation is our GREATEST gift! CALL someone today & see how they're doing, MANY folks go through TOUGH times & need encouragement!
Bill Old