Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
smittykid

Question 31 Victoria trunk rack

I'm looking at a 31 Victoria with dual sidemounts and no rear spare. It has the full straight across rear bumper. If I buy the car, I would like to add a trunk. Most of the vendors sell the trunks (curved back) and trunk racks - but what about the mounting brackets for the trunk rack itself? Am I going to run into any problems because it's a Vickie or are brackets readily available? I plan on keeping that rear bumper. Thanks, Smitty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vickie1.jpg (41.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by smittykid; 06-04-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: adding pic
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 31 Victoria trunk rack

no problem, the trunk brackets mount just like on a A400 or 180 A
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
captndan

Call any of the major suppliers they can tell you exactly what you need. Note: Burt's is closed on Mondays.

Last edited by captndan; 06-04-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
captndan

Call any of the major suppliers they can tell you exactly what you need. Note: Bert's is closed on Mondays.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Vern

Smitty, for what it's worth, the rear bumper on the Victoria in the photo isn't correct per the judging standards. The car should have bumperettes. I'm not sure how the trunk brackets install on an A with a full rear bumper, but as Dan said above, any of the major vendors can tell you what you need. And when you get that beauty home, please join the Victoria Association. Vern
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
smittykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Smitty, for what it's worth, the rear bumper on the Victoria in the photo isn't correct per the judging standards. The car should have bumperettes. I'm not sure how the trunk brackets install on an A with a full rear bumper, but as Dan said above, any of the major vendors can tell you what you need. And when you get that beauty home, please join the Victoria Association. Vern
Thanks, Vern. This car is nowhere near a "show car" so the rear bumper does not bother me. Also, I joined the Victoria Assn. about 6 months ago. Smitty
Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Doug Clayton

If you wish to mount the deluxe luggage rack (chrome plated with wood-grained slats), the brackets are unique to the Victoria. They could be converted from the normal Roaster/Coupe style bracket by cutting away material to clear the rear body apron (which is the only difference).
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykid View Post
Thanks, Vern. This car is nowhere near a "show car" so the rear bumper does not bother me. Also, I joined the Victoria Assn. about 6 months ago. Smitty
Will the luggage rack mount will fit with the long bumper as the trunk rides at the same lever as the bumper?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 06-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
Bill Cilker

Smittykid

When a dealer put side mount tires on a Model A, Ford stated that they should also put a full width rear bumper on the car.

The Victoria does take a special mounting bracket for the delux truck rack that clears the rear skirt. See the attached picture of my original trunk rack.

Bratton's list a reproduction trunk rack bracket for a Victoria. I do not know if it is correct or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunk rack small.jpg (72.1 KB, 86 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Smitty,
I didn't like the looks of a beautiful metal trunk that was restored & sitting on our trunk rack so i decided to make my own that followed the lines of the Victoria. Also sectioned width of rack about 1.50". And as Vern suggested, consider joining The International Model A
Ford Victoria Association, A GREAT resource. Check out their website.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010122.jpg (47.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1010123.jpg (56.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1010124.jpg (47.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1010036.jpg (69.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (44.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006.jpg (49.4 KB, 37 views)
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Dale G.

As a suggestion, there was a fellow out in California, don't remember his name that was or is making a telescopic trunk rack. Mounted easy using the original bumper brace holes. When in use you simply pull the rack out from under the body and will extend out past the spare tire and lock in place. Put your trunk on as you would on any rack. I have one on my Victoria since that rack was available. Maybe others will chime for the makers name. In the meantime I will look for his original ad. Dale Gosa
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

Hi Dale,
I would appreciate it if you posted some pictures of the your telescopic trunk rack. I am looking for one, and I may be able to duplicate yours.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
smittykid

Thumbs up Re: 31 Victoria trunk rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cilker View Post
Smittykid

When a dealer put side mount tires on a Model A, Ford stated that they should also put a full width rear bumper on the car.

The Victoria does take a special mounting bracket for the delux truck rack that clears the rear skirt. See the attached picture of my original trunk rack.

Bratton's list a reproduction trunk rack bracket for a Victoria. I do not know if it is correct or not.
Bill,
The Victoria brackets from Bratton's did the trick. If anyone is interested, the part # is 25140 and the current price is $59.50. They come unpainted, but after a couple of coats of Rustoleum primer & a couple of coats of gloss black-they turned out pretty good. No clearance problems with the full length bumper. Thanks for the tip. Smitty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vrack1.JPG (159.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg vrack2.JPG (159.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Bill Cilker

Smitty
When rear bumperette are changed to a single bumper there needs to be a piece of metal to go between the bumper bracket and the cross support. It is about 3" long and has 2 holes to mount at the cross Support. The spacer is the same dimensions as the bumper bracket support arm. If you do not have them, your trunk rack will not fit correctly.
Bill
Old 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
smittykid

Quote:
Smitty
When rear bumperette are changed to a single bumper there needs to be a piece of metal to go between the bumper bracket and the cross support. It is about 3" long and has 2 holes to mount at the cross Support. The spacer is the same dimensions as the bumper bracket support arm. If you do not have them, your trunk rack will not fit correctly.
Bill
Bill,
I thought I had this licked. I've att. pics of my installation of the brackets- left and right side. I may be dense, but I thought these fit ok. I can't see where a spacer between the bumper bracket and the cross support would change anything on the actual bracket that mounts to the luggage rack. I'm confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vbracketrt.JPG (159.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg vbracketleft2.JPG (162.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
Bill Cilker

Smitty
You are missing the 2 filler pieces. They go between the bumper cross brace and the bumper bracket.
The two bumperettes have a inside mounting bar that goes between the bumper bracket and the cross brace. When bumperettes a removed to use a one piece bumper, something has to fill the gap left by the mounting bar.
You can make them by using 2 old mounting bars and cutting them off at the rear edge of the cross brace. To install them, you will have to loosen the bumper clamps and maybe the 4 body support bolts. The previous owner probably did not know about the filler piece.

I can get you pictures when I return home in a week.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #17
smittykid

Quote:
Smitty
You are missing the 2 filler pieces. They go between the bumper cross brace and the bumper bracket.
The two bumperettes have a inside mounting bar that goes between the bumper bracket and the cross brace. When bumperettes a removed to use a one piece bumper, something has to fill the gap left by the mounting bar.
You can make them by using 2 old mounting bars and cutting them off at the rear edge of the cross brace. To install them, you will have to loosen the bumper clamps and maybe the 4 body support bolts. The previous owner probably did not know about the filler piece.

I can get you pictures when I return home in a week.
That would be great! Thanks!