Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Why Fiber Timing Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The main reason why AER dropped off my list of preferred sources for a replacement engine (which I may have to have soon).
I'm with you Carl . I wouldn't want an engine with a fiber timing gear . As many fiber gears as I have had to replace over my life time, I sure as hell don't want to ever have to replace another. My experience with all of the fiber gears is that they don't last very long. The laminated gears are no exception. As often as we see stripped fiber gears on this forum should send a message to anyone with a question. Most of these stripped gears that we see have only been in service for a very short time. After seeing this so often here , anybody that insists on a fiber gear needs to get some real world experience replacing timing gears !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #22
CarlG

I was fortunate in that I had the engine out for other problems when I noticed missing/broken teeth in my less than 3K mile fiber timing gear. My friend wasn't so fortunate. His fiber timing gear let go while we were on tour, 200 miles from home. Again, less than 5K miles.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Carl and Purdy we keep sayin' but few are listening.....
Old 12-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #24
James Rogers

Quote:
The main reason why AER dropped off my list of preferred sources for a replacement engine (which I may have to have soon).
All my rebuilds are supplied with new crank gears and aluminum cam gears. I like others here have replaced cam gears that sheared for no reason and left me on the side of the road. Takes a lot of the fun out of the A.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
OL JENNY

Many of you who are knowledgeable and have vast experience strongly advise using the metal timing gears. Dan's gears, especially a matched set has been well documented on this site as being some of the best. The problem that troubles many of us is that changing the crank gear is not a simple everyday event for the average Model A driver owner. Dan is not very encouraging when discussing only using his bronze gear with an existing, even new, crank gear. Pulling an engine is easier for some than others, and I guess until more people assure some of us that it won't be a terrible mistake to just install a quality metal timing gear, some will out of fear or confusion, keep on using the best fiber available.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #26
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Many have stated that we have used the bronze or aluminum on the cam and have not changed the crank gear, provided the crank gear was intact. I am in that group and have had no problems doing it this way with several engines. Once installed I checked the lash and for no binding and it was full steam ahead from there.

When I talked with Dan he was equivocal about changing the crank gear if it was in good shape

I too am thinking that changing the gear on the roadside on a tour would not be that much fun

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 12-23-2014 at 10:02 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
jkeesey

I was driving my son to school, engine braking coming down a hill and the cam gear stripped off 3/4 of the teeth. Not just one part but 3/4 of the entire gear. Had her towed home and replaced it with a fiber I had in stock. This was the original gear in my car. So it lasted from 1929 to 2014. Id consider that a good run. It caused no other problems with the car, it just shut itself off.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Many have stated that we have used the bronze or aluminum on the cam and have not changed the crank gear, provided the crank gear was intact. I am in that group and have had no problems doing it this way with several engines. Once installed I checked the lash and for no binding and it was full steam ahead from there.

When I talked with Dan he was equivocal about changing the crank gear if it was in good shape

I too am thinking that changing the gear on the roadside on a tour would not be that much fun

I have done the same. I drive my coupe a lot on tours. I do not want to be the guy changing a gear on the side of the road.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #29
George Miller

Fiber gears have always been a problem. The Chev 6 used them also. But not on the trucks they used alum gears on the cam.

Have changed many years a go. Have seen them go at 30,000 miles. That was with a good quality gear made for GM. I see no reason to use fiber. If I was doing a engine for you and you wanted fiber, that would be ok. But if it goes you are on your own.

With that said if you are only doing parades and not many miles they would be ok. But why when you can have a gear that will last as long as you.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #30
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I'm with you Carl . I wouldn't want an engine with a fiber timing gear . As many fiber gears as I have had to replace over my life time, I sure as hell don't want to ever have to replace another. My experience with all of the fiber gears is that they don't last very long. The laminated gears are no exception. As often as we see stripped fiber gears on this forum should send a message to anyone with a question. Most of these stripped gears that we see have only been in service for a very short time. After seeing this so often here , anybody that insists on a fiber gear needs to get some real world experience replacing timing gears !!!
My car is a 1933 model B... The engine is crammed into the car. which was originally designed for a smaller dimensioned v8 engine. Ford build these with 4 cylinder engines because the v8 was new and many people were affraid to buy an untested engine, especially during the great depression. As a result gaining access to the timing gear was a nightmare, I am assuming gaining access to a Model A is much easier from reading the model A repair books. I would love to go with the original, but want to do all I can to avoid replacing this gear again soon! I hope with the aluminum gear the car will not sound like a Mix Master?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #31
Purdy Swoft

I've never noticed any noise with aluminum or bronze cam gears, even if I only replaced just the cam gear. The bronze gear is said to be quieter. If you are worried about gear noise just go ahead and use the bronze gear, it costs a little more but not enough more to break the bank .
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL JENNY View Post
Many of you who are knowledgeable and have vast experience strongly advise using the metal timing gears. Dan's gears, especially a matched set has been well documented on this site as being some of the best. The problem that troubles many of us is that changing the crank gear is not a simple everyday event for the average Model A driver owner. Dan is not very encouraging when discussing only using his bronze gear with an existing, even new, crank gear. Pulling an engine is easier for some than others, and I guess until more people assure some of us that it won't be a terrible mistake to just install a quality metal timing gear, some will out of fear or confusion, keep on using the best fiber available.
It has pretty much been recommended to replace both gears when a fiber cam gear was used. Fiber gears are no guarantee of long life or quietness. As a matter of fact fiber timing gears have never lasted that long and have always been one of the worse pain in the azz repairs to have to perform on the model A. I would think it would be more important to replace both gears if a fiber cam gear was used Nearly thirty years ago I had a fiber cam gear fail on a Dodge power wagon that I had at the red light. I had to use the starter to get it out of the road. I don't want a fiber gear in anything of mine !!! I usually only replace both gears when the engine is out .
Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have a question, what do you guys think of a fiber timing gear?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i have a question, what do you guys think of a fiber timing gear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head-in-sand.jpg (236.9 KB, 14 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #35
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I've never noticed any noise with aluminum or bronze cam gears, even if I only replaced just the cam gear. The bronze gear is said to be quieter. If you are worried about gear noise just go ahead and use the bronze gear, it costs a little more but not enough more to break the bank .
Can I install the bronze gear without replacing the crank gear?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #36
FrankWest

Quote:
I'm dying here!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #37
OL JENNY

Because of a few smart a_____, you wonder why some Model A owners don't ask questions. Guys we are all dumb, we are just dumb in different areas. I am glad I gave a few of you something to make you feel superior!
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #38
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Can I install the bronze gear without replacing the crank gear?
Sure you can install the bronze cam gear without installing a new crank gear.If Dan doesn't want to sell just the cam gear, Snyders sells bronze and aluminum cam gears. I have installed just the bronze gear from Snyders without installing a new crank gear.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #39
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I'm dying here!
Why die ??????? Its just an old car, its not a Rolls Royce. Even if it made a faint noise, which none of the metal gears have for me, it sure as hell ain't the end of the world. As many have told you several times, the available fiber gears are weaker and mostly don't last very long if the car is driven much..Evidence has been shown here over and over. Its not often that a week goes by that we don't hear of a stripped fiber gear on this forum . If the important thing is that the car will run the rest of your life without stripping another cam gear, install a metal gear, preferably bronze. If you want a fiber gear go right ahead, its your car and like the rest of us you are on your own. What more can anybody say ???????
Old 12-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
George Miller

I never had noise with a metal gear, but if I did why should it be different then the rest of the engine. They are not quiets engine ever made.