Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
ford-m

Default Unbelievable, wife offered to help !!!!!

She hates this car plain and simple...........when I dragged it home in 2003 it has sat in my shop collecting dust as I wasn't allowed to touch it while the girls were young.

Well with family (two girls) growing up I'm now allowed to finish it and play in the shop. Today my wife wondered out to the shop and offers to help rivet the seat pan. Truly a historic moment. Perhaps theres a change a commin.

ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Unbelievable, wife offered to help !!!!!

Keep encouraging her to help if she wants to. She will have some investment in the car in her work, and will feel better attached to it.
Suggest some safer shoes.
Nice looking wife!
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
99ZoomR

Naw. It's just a "phase"...
99ZoomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Just wait - No good deed goes unpunished. When your roadster is finished and you can't wait to take your wife for the first ride with the top down, she'll say: "But, my hair will get all messed up!!! No, thanks. I'm not going." 'Don't think that'll happen??? Is there a married man in the crowd here with a convertible Model A, who hasn't gone through this same song and dance with his wife? I usually have to beg and plead with my wife to ride in one of our convertible Model A's because of the messed-up hair issue. I often end up going alone.
Hmmmm... Maybe that's why I have so many CONVERTIBLES???
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 02-28-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
ford-m

How could any woman resist.

I will never forget her words. "I can't drive that to the Yorkville Mall, it doesn't have any F%##ing Windows"

ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

"ford-m" -
Now, THAT car has personality!!! No two unrestored Model A's ever look the same. Some just have more personality than others. The stories your car could tell!!!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

what is this allowed and not allowed? Time for a new wife! I can't believe it when wives decide what can and can not be done. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-28-2016 at 10:18 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Big hammer

She's a keeper!! Maybe you have been spending to much time in the garage?
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
Sunnybrook Farm

I haven't seen my wife near my 30 which is being worked on in a barn stall. I think when I get upholstery and the mouse smell leaves it, maybe then.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
jeep44

My three Model As are invisible to my wife-they don't even show up on her radar. One of them sat in the garage for a year, with her walking past it every day, before she finally said "Did you get another car?" one day!
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
Spokes

You are a Lucky man to have a supportive Wife. I also have one. Keep the pix's on your build Coming.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
quickchange

Hell has she got a spare sister?? Good ones are hard to train but once done worth hanging onto , Im more than happy with mine , But one that works on A,s Hmmmmmm,
quickchange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Hell has she got a spare sister?? Good ones are hard to train but once done worth hanging onto , Im more than happy with mine , But one that works on A,s Hmmmmmm,
I might be giving away my age but how is her mother fixed? Maybe it's hereditary!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

There are lots of women out there willing to compromise and see their husbands enjoy themselves also. Dictating what a husband can of can not do is a recipe for divorce or a very unhappy husband and marriage. Marriage is a two way street where both parties appreciate that the other party has wants and needs. A union of mutual respect. When it becomes dictatorial it is time to put her or him to the curb. I honestly can't believe that some of you guys are subservient to your wives! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-29-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
Lona

Started dating my wife in my Model A coupe when I was 17, she was 15. Finally got one again when she was 70 and she loves it. She drives it to shows and to town and likes to look at it whenever she goes into the garage. Also willing to lend an second hand whenever needed.

Reading several of the above comments..........man, am I ever lucky!

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #16
Chris in CT

Hi Ford-m, We're lucky guys! Looks like your wife is having a great time... Mine loves me and loves my A roadster; and she loves going for drives in it with the top down.
Best of all, as my daughter says: "You'll always know where he is, Mom, you'll find him under the darn car, not under some other woman!"
She is definitely another set of hands for me, but I haven't been able to get her to set rivets just yet. LOL...
Chris
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #17
captndan

For better or worse. I bought a restored A and didn't tell my wife. Now, we have never argued about money but have always discussed anything major. She does not like this beautiful car. So now she buys new furniture, plane tickets, and appliances without consulting me. How can I possibly say anything about her purchases with that beautiful Model A Coupe sitting and ready to drive in the garage?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
For better or worse. I bought a restored A and didn't tell my wife. Now, we have never argued about money but have always discussed anything major. She does not like this beautiful car. So now she buys new furniture, plane tickets, and appliances without consulting me. How can I possibly say anything about her purchases with that beautiful Model A Coupe sitting and ready to drive in the garage?
You can't because you set the precedent ! Respect for the partner is a two way street. Hopefully the plane tickets she buys are to car shows ( lol )! Wayne

P.s. If you had always discussed major purchases and you bought without the discussion, you sir created the problem and I totally agree with her! You would have been peed off had she bought a$20 thousand dollar diamond ring.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I bought a non-running 1937 Ford without telling my wife. Like you and your wife, we usually consult on big purchases. She was not really angry when she found out since I had saved for the car on the side and did not touch the family finances. She was more suspicious of the car not running (I eventually got the car running and driving). She got me back though--she went out and bought a brand new Ford SUV while I was away at an Early Ford V-8 National Meet.

Last edited by TonyM; 02-29-2016 at 07:14 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Chris in CT

When people ask me how much my restored A roadster is worth, I always reply: "A new kitchen!" And that's no joke...
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote