Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default greenfield Village Old Car Festival

I haven't been to this yet definitely want to go this year.

Question. Where is a good place to stay that is close? I have stayed at the Dearborn Inn several times visiting Dearborn, kinda pricey but I love the history of the place plus walking over to the HF and Greenfield Village isn't that far. Is there a place within walking distance that is cheaper that you guys stay at?

I will be a spectator not a participant. Just watching this event sounds like a hoot to me! I tried to make reservations last summer but about everything was already filled up. Recent posts on this jiggled my memory to get plans going now!

Thanks
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: greenfield Village Old Car Festival

The Dearborn Inn has a best price guarantee. Google it with best price and coupon. I personally find it very competitive. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
gz

If the Dearborn area is sold out, try the area around Detriot Metro Airport. Less than a 1/2 hour drive and there are LOTS of every type of hotel near the airport. (BTW: The Detroit/Metro Airport is not in Detroit, it is in Romulus, just west of Dearborn).

FYI-Beware of some of the small, privately owned "ma and pop" motels in Dearborn-some are kind of scary if you know what I mean. They aren't the "mas and pops" one might assume...Stay with the name brand hotels.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

If you check "Reviews" on a website like Travelocity.com, customers do not mind telling it "like it is". Please follow advice of local hotel folks.

Probably not helpful today, but I lived in Detroit in 1966 between Woodward and 2nd, & a few blocks from the Main Office of General Motors on West Grand Boulevard ..... tombstone territory ...... fresh blood stains on sidewalks from muggings were not uncommon back then .... hope it changed.

Saw my former apartment burn down on TV news during race riots in less than a year later.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
99ZoomR

Hi Jeff. Last year was my first time at the Old Car Festival. My wife and I stayed at the Dearborn Inn and had a great time. We were also spectators, but I ended up buying my first A while I was there. We've already made reservations at the Inn again for this year and will just be spectating again. (I think it's invitation only for participants now). Hope to see you there! It's definitely a fun show.
99ZoomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Thanks for the tips I'll try Dearborn Inn again so far not sold out!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

We stay at the Holiday Inn Express. Lodging is usually not an issue in the area because I would venture a guess that 30%-40% of the attendees stay in the parking lot in their RVs. Depending on how this registration 'thingie' works out, there may be more rooms available than normal!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Thanks Brent IF something doesn't come up this year (mother-in-law was dying at that time last year) I'll look for you in the Grand Parade!!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
TerryO

I'm planning to go as a spectator also but haven't made reservations yet. I'm also planning to spend the Saturday after the old car festival at the Model A museum to celebrate Model A Day. Does anyone have suggestions for hotels close to Hickory Corners? I spent a few minutes looking on the internet and didn't find anything.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I'm planning to go as a spectator also but haven't made reservations yet. I'm also planning to spend the Saturday after the old car festival at the Model A museum to celebrate Model A Day. Does anyone have suggestions for hotels close to Hickory Corners? I spent a few minutes looking on the internet and didn't find anything.
My junk has got to be invited back before I can be in that parade!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
56servi

For Hickory Corners, look at Gull Lake Inn. Its on M-89 about 15 min from Gilmore. Is at The Gull Lake View golf course. Old motel but OK if just spending the night. Condos are available at Gull Lake golf course.
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
gz

The Gilmore Museum is a great place. I attend a few car events there every year and it is always a pleasure. Here is a new event, for pre-war cars only that will be taking place this spring. I certainly plan on attending.

NEW THIS YEAR: The Donald Gilmore Classic Car Show May 21 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Celebrating the first 50 years of the automobile!

New to the 2016 line up is “The Donald Gilmore Classic,” a special show featuring Pre-War Vehicles, 1896-1942, just like the cars Donald Gilmore was known for collecting.This new show will be part of a year-long celebration commemorating the Gilmore Car Museum’s 50th Anniversary.
Pre-registration for show cars and vendors will be available beginning February 5th and will end on May 13th. Only original stock vehicles will be eligible to participate, no modified or hot rod style vehicles please. Cars must be on the show field for judging by 10:00am, an award and presentation ceremony will be held at 3:00pm.
Special awards will be given for Oldest Car, Furthest Driven, and Best Dressed (best period costume worn by a vehicle’s owner) will be given, plus two very special awards – the Genevieve Gilmore Preservation Award and the Donald & Genevieve Gilmore Award (Best of Show) – will be presented.
Activities will also take place throughout the day, including start up demos featuring Steam Cars and Model Ts, plus a “Parade through the Decades” will featured each decade represented on the show field.
Admission Rates:
Show Car Admission: $10.00/car
Vendor Admission: $20.00/space
Spectator Admission: $12.00/person
*Please note: Gilmore Car Museum memberships are not valid for show car admission*
Gates for Show Vehicles and Vendors will open at 8:00am for set up — Spectator Gates open at 9:00am.

- See more at: http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/2016....LToDn41T.dpuf
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Ray in La Mesa

While enjoying the Ford world we stayed at the Greenfield Inn, in Dearborn, about one mile south of the Dearborn Inn, just beyond Hiway 94. It is a rose colored victorian inn with vintage car theme, reasonable prices and--- it's right next to one of Fords's rail lines with the cement arches for his electric lines. Really a neat place!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote