Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #41
DougT

Default Re: Timing gear screw up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
No experts can answer post 24? HMMMMMMM
I was wondering about the answer to that before you asked the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
"Maybe" because they're SO QUIET, or is this a "TRICK" QUESTION?
dAD
I think it is a trick question. A lot depends on the link between the torch head and the floor. If you had the torch turned down and heated from the front of the gear, you could get some heat on it and not hurt the babbitt. The gear would act as a heat sink. If you point the torch between the two it would be easy to damage the Babbitt. If I remember right, the Babbitt will start to get soft in the 4-500 deg F range. I wouldn't want to get things real hot in there.
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #42
larrys40

Sorry guys... Exactly why I'm not a huge fan of these aluminum or bronze gears and an oil filter won't get it cleaned out either. It's ashamed it wasn't done with the cam gear and either the engine removed for crank gear replacement or the proper pullers used in the car.

It can be done. It is best at this point to remove the engine to do the job right and do a thorough cleaning and inspection and make it right before further damage is done

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #43
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Larry,
How can the gear be removed while in the car? I can't see any way with the cross member and radiator in the way. What about the front of the oilpan? For sure the oil pan would have to be dropped.

Heck, how can you get even a one piece pulley off while in the car? There is a crossmember there.

I know I would just pull the engine (and crank if necessary) rather than be a contortionist trying to do it in the car, even if I a had a YouTube showing me how.
Vince,
I knew it would come up. I agree pulling the engine is best which is why I said that. I have done it in the car once. of course drop the pan, which goes without saying for cleanup in this case. 1-piece crank pulleys can be cut off with a sawsall if necessary( nut off and at each of the 3 webs, cuts like hot butter). I've done it to replace broken ones before . KRW and proper pullers used to remove gear. Rear engine bolts out and lift engine slightly helps. Front crank and spring plate removed ( 4 spring bolts) these can even be done with the radiator in most of the time. and it can be done. I use the KR Wilson crank gear installer to put gears on cranks makes it a piece of cake!

my suggestion is of course to pull the engine. 1.5 or less out when chipping away at it...
Not that big a deal! Terry Oberer taught me lots of tricks but I learned a lot on my own over the years...
Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 01-02-2016 at 10:40 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote