Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default reinstalling model B oil pan

Are there any trick for aligning the flywheel cover pan bolts?
The pan installed ok but the holes for the flywheel cover pan interface are slightly out of alignment. One of those jobs that you need 3 arms to accomplish? Any suggestions....Should I get another guy or instally the flywheel bolts first.....Has anyone out there done this before?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: reinstalling model B oil pan

Sounds like the pan is slightly sprung. As you surmise, it's likely best to start at the rear of the pan and then use a drift to align the holes further forward. Once you've started a couple of the bolts forward the rest should line up readily. Drifts of various sizes are amongst the most used tools in the box when working on old cars.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Sounds like the pan is slightly sprung. As you surmise, it's likely best to start at the rear of the pan and then use a drift to align the holes further forward. Once you've started a couple of the bolts forward the rest should line up readily. Drifts of various sizes are amongst the most used tools in the box when working on old cars.
what are drifts?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #4
Mart

Long tapered punches, you stick them in a hole and wobble them around to line up the parts so you can put the bolt in.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
colin1928

Frank as you have found this a tuff job on a Model B 1st I hope you have the flywheel on as it can not be fitted after the pan is on
I fit the pan with to the block with the timing cover off seem to be easier that way then fit the timing cover later
Once you do have the pan on before you tighten it up completely you MUST check for square put a dial indicator on the flywheel turn the crank and check all the way around
if it not square within a 0.002 thou you get a vibration
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
WRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
Frank as you have found this a tuff job on a Model B 1st I hope you have the flywheel on as it can not be fitted after the pan is on
I fit the pan with to the block with the timing cover off seem to be easier that way then fit the timing cover later
Once you do have the pan on before you tighten it up completely you MUST check for square put a dial indicator on the flywheel turn the crank and check all the way around
if it not square within a 0.002 thou you get a vibration
I know this is an old thread, but how will a tweaked oil pan cause a vibration. I’m familiar with shimming of the Model A housing, does the B require the same thing once oil pan is installed.

Last edited by WRA; 11-11-2021 at 10:53 AM.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
I know this is an old thread, but how will a tweaked oil pan cause a vibration. I’m familiar with shimming of the Model A housing, does the B require the same thing once oil pan is installed.

WRA ....If you'll look in the very first line of "colin1928's" post #5, you'll note that it is the FLYWHEEL that he is referencing needing to be "fit" properly, as IT cannot be removed again once the pan is in place. DD

"Frank as you have found this a tuff job on a Model B 1st I hope you have the flywheel on as it can not be fitted after the pan is on
if it not square within a 0.002 thou you get a vibration."

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote