Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #41
SHEC

Default Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

It is entertaining to watch others spend 20 large on a "crate" like that thing. You are correct sir.
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
SHEC

And so it goes - the result is that the "good stuff" is often overlooked on these shows and we, those that know better - spot the gems! This is in regard to our beloved old Fords that is.

It is still fun to watch and they must be popular or else the show would be cancelled. Go figure? Thanks for the input folks -----------------!!!

Be well -

SHEC
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
SHEC

Cool Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

My initial search regarding the Victoria on the "Pickers" show has prompted a lot of interest.

I have been contacted about other potential Vicky's by the lucky current owners from all around the country. Thanks folks for sharing so many pictures and stories about this beautiful Model A body style. You are all very kind!

I have even been told a couple are for sale - makes a guy think hard and twice about the prospects.

Be well -

Thanks again-

SHEC
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #44
SHEC

Bought a Victoria over the weekend - now, do I sell my Coupe?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
SHEC

Not gonna sell the orig. family coupe - but I did think about (for half a second!!!!)

See any interesting A's in the background on some of these car shows recently? Seems to be a number of cars hidden away still from what I see on these car oriented television shows.

Be well -

SHEC
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #46
RobertB

Last year the wife and I were passing through Nashville and decided to check out Mike and Frank's "store".

There are maybe two dozen high priced items for sale, a few dozen items from Mike's "personal collection" and hundreds of t-shirts, mugs, stickers, and assorted junk with their logo on them

The store is a tourist stop, not an antique store. When they show it on the series, the t-shirt racks are disguised and the couter has been stipped of all the knick knacks and stuff.

It was interesting to see things displayed there that we had seen them "pick" on the series.

I local blues group was playing for the tourist when we visited, and an old (A?) car door I saw them pick is on a stand outside so you can get behind it and have your picture taken.

Worth the stop, but dissapointing for antique scroungers like the wife and I.

In Gettyburg we visited the civil war museum they picked for and the pony tailed guy actually runs it. Nice collection of artifacts and even spent mini balls from the site for sale...or at least some nicely aged one to appear like those from the site.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #47
SHEC

Angry Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

So ladies and gents - - how many times is this American Pickers program going to be rerun so that I still see them disregarding the real gem in the room? Pushing out the Victoria to get to the shell of a potential roadster for "ratrod" usage............... HUH?

Just saw "my Vickie" the other night on a rerun show - it hurts to watch it again and again. I know some will say - quit watching the darn program! Probably right on many levels !

SHEC
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #48
NCDave

I can't watch that show, American Pickers. I know it is staged, but I see items just like some pieces that have been stolen from me in the past. I sometimes wonder if those are my antique possessions that worked their way into somebody's hands. Probably not, but painful. And I really don't like people that show up uninvited and want to talk me out of stuff that I don't want to sell.
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #49
SHEC

Talking Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

I certainly understand the concern about folks just showing up unannounced hoping to "pick" something up. I am all for talking about the cars with folks keen on learning about the FORD and it's history - but yes this particular show has gone FULL- commercial and the visits are preset.

Lets just keep as many on the road as possible and perhaps watch the guys (if you want to do so), walk right by a quality car to get to some other "treasure".

Thanks -

Be well -

SHEC
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #50
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Don't you find Pickers is a phony, staged scenario that has lost most of its viewers. It used to be everyone was talking about it now nobody cares about it anymore. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #51
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Don't you find Pickers is a phony, staged scenario that has lost most of its viewers. It used to be everyone was talking about it now nobody cares about it anymore. Wayne
I think it is phony to...You can not tell me that on their travels that there is not a lot of "other vans" following them putting "more" items within, that we, as a viewing audience, do not even see. They go to someones "cash" and only select a few items for the viewer to "lic their chops at" and put the rest of the goodies into waiting vans....Hmmmm...Am I full of it or am I right?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #52
Wingnutz

Smile Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Many is the time I wished I had X-ray vision to peer into old garages and buildings.
You mean you don't? Hahaha!

Should've bought those Xray Vision glasses I saw in the comic books as a kid!
Wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #53
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I think it is phony to...You can not tell me that on their travels that there is not a lot of "other vans" following them putting "more" items within, that we, as a viewing audience, do not even see. They go to someones "cash" and only select a few items for the viewer to "lic their chops at" and put the rest of the goodies into waiting vans....Hmmmm...Am I full of it or am I right?

Pluck
You are 100 % correct ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #54
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Many is the time I wished I had X-ray vision to peer into old garages and buildings.
When I first got the vintage car "bug" as a teenage boy, I used to ride my bike around my home town up and down little used streets and lanes searching for old cars stashed in back yards. The bike gave me the height I needed to allow me to look over back fences and into the privacy of people's yards (just about every suburban house block in Australia is surrounded by a 5' wooden paling fence at the sides and rear). This is exactly how I found my Nash and, for $50, extracted it from under a tree in the back corner of a house block. Mind you, that was 1970!

Here's me, aged 16 and about to become the proud owner of my find.
P.S. It's still in pieces
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AsPurchased(FormosaStNewtown).jpg (95.0 KB, 146 views)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #55
ronn

Pluck,
I think it's called the "conspiracy" theory.....................

you've gotta watch your back with Frank around.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #56
Terry, NJ

That reminds me off my Flight Instructor showing me the local lovers lane about a mile or so, off the end of the runway! Or the times we flew past Gunnison Beach at Sandy Hook. Gunnison Beach is clothing optional . There are three beaches very close and you could always tell which was Gunnison by the number of boats offshore. You can definitely see more from the air!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Reminds me of the first time I met my BIL in Montana. We hopped into to his (group ownership) single engine plane and flew back to the ranch. I saw a lot of nice metal behind the barns that you would never see from the road. That's a great way to spot old autos.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #57
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
That reminds me off my Flight Instructor showing me the local lovers lane about a mile or so, off the end of the runway! Or the times we flew past Gunnison Beach at Sandy Hook. Gunnison Beach is clothing optional . There are three beaches very close and you could always tell which was Gunnison by the number of boats offshore. You can definitely see more from the air!
Terry

Yes, several years ago I had a connection for sheetmetal parts & bodies from Kansas & Oklahoma where he would go to small airfields to rent a plane & pilot. Usually they would fly for about 4 hours, flying fence rows and back roads looking behind barns and in gullies. He would carry a handheld GPS and binoculars and when he saw an area where he wanted to return to, he wrote down the coordinates. Later he would return to those areas with his 4WD truck and a winch-equipped trailer and most farmers were all too happy to sell it. Much of the vintage stuff he located would be hauled to Chickasha twice a year where he would sell out in short order. So yes, you do see more from the air!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #58
Terry, NJ

Having done a little "Picking" myself, I have often considered this aspect. No one ever met me at the door or gate with a gun, but we were always waiting for that to happen. So here we were, in Big Swampy City, down the Little Catchacootie river, Population 198 people! We get to a old home, gas station, dealership, what have you and the guy's got a lot of parts, he's been trying to sell since 1995 with no luck because the locals can't see a market for "that old junk." We make a deal! and John Q Citizen gets some money for his stuff that would otherwise wind up in a scrap yard. The local economy gets a small infusion of cash. Everyone's happy! Now please tell me how I should know the ones who want to sell from the ones who don't without asking? Don't be annoyed at us, we maybe doing your wife and kids a favor!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I can't watch that show, American Pickers. I know it is staged, but I see items just like some pieces that have been stolen from me in the past. I sometimes wonder if those are my antique possessions that worked their way into somebody's hands. Probably not, but painful. And I really don't like people that show up uninvited and want to talk me out of stuff that I don't want to sell.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #59
SHEC

Found another '31 Vicky on Craigslist - ( Northern ) CALIFORNIA today.

Green body, looks complete, no rust, - apparently stored 25 plus years, asking $$$$ 9K. Total restoration needed - or, get it running and go from there?

Note states that an inventory of parts has been taken with very little missing. Time to take a look at this Steelback Victoria?

Be well -

SHEC

Last edited by SHEC; 02-23-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #60
Quigley1930

They bought a T and A in VA. last night.

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote