Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
bettlesr

Default Aluminum Winfield head fitting?

Hardtimes:
Quote:
Hey bettlesr,
I've re-read your input here and concerning problem with hole in head and dist. size difference. BTW, I have the head on right of you pics (8.5:1 cr).
So today, I went and checked a recently got Bubba alum dist, with the Winfield head hole ...for fitment. What thousand clearance is acceptable between these two, if you know ?
Anyway, my new dist fits the Winfield head hole and has (guess) .005 clearance....good/bad/ugly ,eh
Here's my main concern. The dist HAS A RADIUS where it meets the Winfield head and this radii had the dist sitting up off of the face of the Winfield maybe .050 (will measure if anyone thinks that this is wrong/problem). WHY this radius at all, I have no idea..what am I missing here ? Should the Winfield have a relief cut in same area to match dist or should the dist radii be cut off ?

Now, I checked the original old cast iron heads and it is FLAT in this area, and no radius at bottom of my old dists. Haven't contacted Bubba to discuss yet. Want to see what you say first.

Hi! I figure we should take this off of Todds post.

I had to put a .005 shim all around the distributor housing. To put the set screw in on the side, I had to put a .050 spacer washer or the distributor was pushed up off of the head. The distributor would go flush by it self but the groove was not in line with the screw.
The picture on the right was also sent to me as a 7:1 head. I didn't cc either of them but was told yesterday, the crows foot was around 120 cc. The reason they sent the second head was the problem with the distributor. Looking at them, the crowsfoot seemed to have a lower volume. When I switched to a "B" distributor and then a Zipper, they all fit the same. What ever it is, it really runs strong. Pulls great up to about 2800 rpm when a chickened out and let off.
Hope this helps
Dick

Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Aluminum Winfield head fitting?

Hey Dick,
I returned your PM. I can send pics which will help explain situation..to an email.
I agree about separating this from another thread. However, I hope that Tod does read this, as it also has to do with making sure that the DISTRIBUTOR LOCK PIN HOLE is properly located on the side of the heads that he's making...iron or aluminum !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
Tod

Every head we machine is checked with a spark plug getting screwed in, a distributor getting placed in and checked for position with the side lock hole when all the way in, and a water pump.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Every head we machine is checked with a spark plug getting screwed in, a distributor getting placed in and checked for position with the side lock hole when all the way in, and a water pump.

Tod
Hey Tod,
Thanks for input.
Dick,
I contacted 'Bubba' (Jim L.) regarding my concerns. Explained and showed him pictures. Turns out that everything is ok and will run good , with explanations and instruction. Hey, at least I knew enough to check it out,eh !
I think that MY concerns were different from you concerns Dick. Come to think of it, I got my Winfield at a different business than you, so may be cause for different maker/situation, same 8.5:1 Winfield head .
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote