Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
Mart

Default French Flatty 59A clone Pt 3. Build continues. Plus Truck Motor Conundrum!

Hello! Welcome to Mart's Garage. This week I show the progress on the French Flatty 59A clone build. I also road test the truck and make a decision on that motor. A discovery makes me question that decision and wonder which path I should take, though.
Watch along and enjoy the journey with me.
Thanks for watching and may you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.
Mart.
https://youtu.be/5sHPo6mBkq0
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
sidevalve8ba

Default Re: French Flatty 59A clone Pt 3. Build continues. Plus Truck Motor Conundrum!

I've been enjoying your videos Mart. If it were me I'd take a chance on the French flattie. The extra torque of the 4" stroke is nice. I've used the tin foil balls on top of the piston trick in the past to check piston to head clearance and it worked for me. Happy holidays!

Ted

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 12-25-2021 at 09:31 AM.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
38 coupe

Default Re: French Flatty 59A clone Pt 3. Build continues. Plus Truck Motor Conundrum!

I second the idea of tin foil balls. I use a dot of grease on the piston to hold the tin foil balls in place. I like to check about three places per piston, the top of the piston, whichever edge looks like it will be tightest in the head, and the second tightest appearing for good measure. I have a friend who had to cut the heads on his motor down like yours to get them to clean up, then he massaged the domes with a grinder and flap disk to get clearance.

I would also look at the piston, wrist pin, and rod bearing for #4 to make sure the piston to head contact didn't damage anything.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
mfirth

Mart, just for fun, check the French piston top to deck differences ?? Maybe this condition isn't that uncommon. And what about the crank in the 41 motor. INTERESTING stuff thanks 4 sharing. Merry Christmas & be safe !
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Thanks Mart, really enjoy the time spent with you. I’ll be interested in your decision on which engine you decide to go with. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
sugarmaker

Mart,
Enjoyed the ride along in your truck! I think we might get along very well. Lot of similar ideas!
I think the cup of tea or two will set you on the right course.
If you have the skills to relieve the head to miss the piston, it seems that might be the lowest risk and might resolve the noisy engine issue too. If that doesn't work you always have the French engine to go in, on another day.
Love the truck!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
deuce5wndw

Merry Christmas Mart, sure enjoyed the video as usual. Why not put the french flathead in to test it and fix the 59 while driving?
Regards, Dale.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #8
Mart

Thanks for all the feedback Fellas. Fear not, this saga will continue.

FWIW I did foil ball the pistons, but NOT ALL of them. Lesson learnt there. I don't want to give too much away as I want to let the videos tell the story. Sorry for clamming up on the details.

So thanks for watching, look out for the next chapter next Friday.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote