Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
JR48

Default 34 Cabriolet window questions

I am up to assembling the window units in my 34 Cabriolet restoration and am seeking some guidance. I have all 4 interior guide rails, although the edge felts are very worn and I have 1 original cabriolet window winder mechanism for the right hand driver’s door. I obtained this from the US where it had an easy life as a passenger side window and I have a new 34 sedan window winder mechanism for the left hand passenger door, as I have not been able to locate the correct unit. I have replaced all the brass rollers on the window frames and have all the little rubber shock absorbers for the door sill.
My questions are:
1. Will the Sedan winder unit do the job of heaving the very heavy brass and glass window up & down?
2. Should I attempt to replace the felts in the interior guide rails – it looks to be quite a job, or is there an easier alternative?
3. I am presuming that the interior guide rails should be lubricated, any suggestions as to what to use.
4. Any other suggestions/help will be much appreciated.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: 34 Cabriolet window questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR48 View Post
I am up to assembling the window units in my 34 Cabriolet restoration and am seeking some guidance. I have all 4 interior guide rails, although the edge felts are very worn and I have 1 original cabriolet window winder mechanism for the right hand driver’s door. I obtained this from the US where it had an easy life as a passenger side window and I have a new 34 sedan window winder mechanism for the left hand passenger door, as I have not been able to locate the correct unit. I have replaced all the brass rollers on the window frames and have all the little rubber shock absorbers for the door sill.
My questions are:
1. Will the Sedan winder unit do the job of heaving the very heavy brass and glass window up & down?
2. Should I attempt to replace the felts in the interior guide rails – it looks to be quite a job, or is there an easier alternative?
3. I am presuming that the interior guide rails should be lubricated, any suggestions as to what to use.
4. Any other suggestions/help will be much appreciated.

I cant help you but Ted Spain, Flathead Ted, who is in Auckland would surely be able to advise you. He is often on this site. Pethaps send him a message.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Jay in Mass

Don't forget that the 33-34 cabriolet windows just up and down.
The 34 windows go up and down and back and forth. The window regulators for these two vehicles are different. They don't even look the same.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
denson1932

actually the 34 sedan/coupe windows move back/forward because the 'flag' portion on the regulator engages a stud on the window channel. so cut the flag off if it is in the way...but i think the other difference is the position of the mounting holes with respect to the crankshaft position...you problly going to have to drill the inner door panel for different mounting hole positions or oblong the opening for the regulator driveshaft...
denson1932 is offline   Reply With Quote