Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Are you or are you not????
I don't know a thing and I contract out. 2 0.87%
I learn by doing as I go along but still need physical help. 72 31.17%
I do all the work myself. 156 67.53%
I just sit back and supervise with a beer. 1 0.43%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #61
Pete

Default Re: Are you or are you not!!!! That is my question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
if i had the tooling for babbit i wouldn't be scared of it. line boring looks pretty basic(dad was a machinist and has a lathe and mill at home). and metal fab is simple. if you set your mind to it you can make anything. I had been gunsmithing and doing repairs and if parts were not available i would make them by hand with a vise and a file. hell i designed and sewn my own interior for my A . if you can tell your self you can do it and the thing your doing is possible you can do it. just try if you fail you try again.
Right on.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Me...behind the scenes. Picked that nickname up as a kid on the corner selling Grit back in 31.
Well, that's not such a WEIRD JOB, my Cousin, Butch & I used to be "PROFESSIONAL" Pickle Tasters for a small PICKLE PLANT Over the years, the owner had BURNED UP his Taste Buds
Bill W.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #63
Steve_Mack_CT

Interesting thread. I might have chosen poll questions a tad different, maybe based on percentages but I picked #2, closest to my situation but not exactly. I have the skills to do most everything mechanical, but not necesarilly the time anymore. That said, I assess the car, the job at hand, and my general mood - will it be fun or more or less a PITA before deciding what to do vs. farm out, often with a long time friend/mechanic/restorer as a team.

I bought the T specifically for a simple project that would be largely done at home, time has gotten in the way so I took funds earmarked for that car and bought an older restoration with the A roadster. Plan is to enjoy and maintian the A while salting away T parts for eventually finishing - (some progress, the drivetrain largely done so far at least...) When that is done, will likely re-restore the A but will be retired by then with any luck.

FWIW I have friends who do not do much more than a wash and wax, and others who are only interested in wrenching. Both ends are populated with good car people.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #64
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post

FWIW I have friends who do not do much more than a wash and wax, and others who are only interested in wrenching. Both ends are populated with good car people.
Steve & others,
Very FEW folks can do EVERYTHING, but through our combined knowledge & experience, we can help folks keep their cars going.
I was blessed when I stumbled onto The Barn, about 10 years ago. Lots of FINE & KNOWLEDGABLE people here & I've made SO MANY Friends & have learned far more than I've contributed!
I once worked for a Chrysler/Plymouth Dealer with about 18 Techs who, together, could "OUTFOX" & FIX ANYTHING Chrysler built!! BUT, throw an ODD MAKE, from the Used Car Lot, on them & They'd "CRY"---GUESS who ended up doing those? Crazy Old Bill, who grew up fixin' everything under the SUN, including rebuilding Cotton Pickers, Model A's & Hot Rods
I try to recommend only things that have worked for me & try to be practical, as I'm NOT a "rich" Man. I admire those that have been successful & have the means to do things I can't afford. BUT, I LOVE my car, Vermin, just as he is!
Bill W.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #65
JonC

I like the Car Hobby, although pricey at times, has made me learn to do most of my work. I wouldn't pour Babbitt and I hate to paint. I do send stuff out, but because I am stubborn, actually enjoy it, mostly, I keep at it.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #66
Mark W.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had the Babbitt poured & bored, but fit it myself - also paid a machine shop to bore the cylinders - not worth investing in that kind of machinery for what it cost to punch her up 120...

The only thing I can't do is Bodywork - Dad was in that line for over 50 years and there was no way I could please him, so I refused to even try...
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #67
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So with over 120 folks here saying they DO "do all the work themselves", is this really a true statement or just more of a wishful statement? I think it is neat that folks are willing to learn and do tasks themselves however I tend to keep reading comments like "I do everything except....."

Maybe it is time to have some more workshops that focus on the 'excepts'!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #68
Terry, NJ

I honestly believe I could do everything. Not just jockey parts. I've made wooden parts, I've made seat springs. I've welded, soldered, and brazed. I've pulled wire, I've piped SS brake lines, I've double flared. I've repaired floats, I've turned flywheels, cut new valve seats, shimmed bearings. I've fixed and painted body tin. Most of it is covered in my pics, My A and My coupe. BUT (big BUT!) I never repaired the shorted popout ignition switch in my newer coupe! I've never poured and bored bearings, I've never done upholstery or the panels in the car. I never fixed a cracked steering wheel. I didn't even put the windshield glass into the frame! The guy quoted me a price I could live with so I said "do it"!. I don't like to work with glass. I've never put a top on a model A.. So while there's a lot I have done. If truth be told, there much I either haven't or maybe can't do. A car is mot just painted sheet metal, there's more to it. The more I think about my limitations , The more I realize, I should change my answer. Clearly, I haven't done everything, not even close!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #69
99ZoomR

No way! Too much work. I only like doing the fun stuff.... Just removed the crank gear with the engine still in the car and it was 10 degrees in the garage.
99ZoomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #70
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If the truth is known, there will be very, very few that can and do everything. Time for a reality check for many! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #71
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

This has been an interesting thread for me and...I would have worded the poll questions a bit different now. I have learned that far more Barners do more than I could ever do for one reason or another.

I didn't intend for this to be an opportunity for anyone to blow their horn as some insinuated. I could have got the results I wanted just the same with just the poll results but as it was pointed out, what exactly did I mean by "doing it all"? Goes to show I have no idea what all is involved with overhauling, replacing or restoring a Model A Ford.

But I've never been afraid to ask about what I don't know. .

For me knowing very little is OK, having not the proper tools or working space is OK, having Larry close by is priceless.

Thanks for participating.............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #72
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
This has been an interesting thread for me and...I would have worded the poll questions a bit different now. I have learned that far more Barners do more than I could ever do for one reason or another.

Goes to show I have no idea what all is involved with overhauling, replacing or restoring a Model A Ford.
All of us should be learning more each time we interact with our Model-A, -and even someone like myself who earns his living working on Model-As. The difference is that some are learning how to differentiate the different years or bodystyles, while others have progressed to the level of determining the correct time-frame a particular item was used during production. Both persons have that same sense of satisfaction when they master that task.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #73
Kurt in NJ

Early on I learned that i could screw it up 3 times or more for what i would pay someone else to screw it up
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #74
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
The results are obviously skewed by the ones who chose to respond... as by my observation of the forum there are many more than the results that probably don't "do everything".
I don't do plating either, except for small parts like using some of the single cad home plating and special techniques for getting correct finishes on small parts when it warrants and is needed.

Obvously most of us don't do speedometer rebuilding either, and few do woodgraining... (although probably more than speedo restoration) and non of us probably do glass ( I don;'t mean installing). I think being a mechanic at it and being a restorer are two different aspects. I think we just have to take the fun and light informational intention of this and leave it at that. Sonny is a great guy and contributor to the forum in many ways... and certainly makes me laugh and smile... In that respect I'll be the guy who has to sit back with the cold drink in hand and watch him do his thing. He's a great people person for sure! Thanks Sonny for your contributions.. they are appreciated !

Happy motoring, wrenching, restoring, plating, painting and plane ole enjoying the "A"'s in 2016 to you all!
Larry Shepard

I second that Larry..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #75
BILL WILLIAMSON

Who's "SONNY"?
Bill W.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #76
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Who's "SONNY"?
Bill W.
Ed who started this thread
Old 01-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #77
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Ed who started this thread
OH!----------I thought you were plowing SNOW??
Old 01-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #78
larrys40

]I second that Larry..[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mitch! He's a great guy and has a lot of fun character.. I'm going to pick up Sarah tomorrow so we can get her winter work done.

She will be much better by spring!
All the best to ya!

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:03 AM   #79
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
OH!----------I thought you were plowing SNOW??
I was out,, done for the day now just got in. Don't worry you'll get some of the proceeds

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-24-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #80
Brendan

I throw all the nuts and bolts into a coffee can. When I am done with the job, and the coffee can is empty I did a good job!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote