Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
1Metalbender

Default 30-31 model a truck diagrams

Don't know if I'm asking this correctly or not, but is there anything out there that shows what sheet metal parts go into a 30-31 truck? I'm a bodyman for a living and we have exploded views of what sheet metal goes where on the newer cars and trucks...unfortunately they don't go back far enough for my truck...I'm new to the model A and don't know what is supposed to be where in it...something with measurements would even be more helpful if such a thing exists...can anybody point me in the right direction on this?
1Metalbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: 30-31 model a truck diagrams

i believe people like Brent have attended the Ford library and paid to reproduce the diagrams and blueprints. Obviously they are not going to share them without cost to the borrower.
I guess you head to the library also. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
ModelAMike1930

I would advise you to purchase the "Model A Ford Restoration Handbook" It has all the dimensions Of all model a fords . I got mine on ebay.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
john charlton

The 30/31 AA truck shares all its sheet metal with the pick up truck which has the same frame as the passenger cars ,all measurements are the same however. Only one difference is that the rad shell on the AA is deeper to accept the AA radiator which has an extra row of tubes . The pickup truck is fairly common so there is sure to be one close to you . If the owner is a regular model A guy he will be pleased for you to take as many pics and measurements as you like and give you a coffee to boot !!!. We are all righteous dudes for sure . Contact Neil Wilson of the AA truck club in Boulder Col. he has all the info you need for sure if all else fails .

John in partly cloudy cool evening Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
1Metalbender

I'm finding a lot of 30-31 sedans but it seems that finding a 30-31 A or AA is a needle in a haystack! Been looking for a replacement cab back for some time now...I'll check on the restoration guide on eBay as well
Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Start bringing a camera to swap meets and hope that you find one to photograph. I usually have my camera at swap meets, what specifically are you interested in?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
ModelAMike1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Including the pickup?
Yes
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Metalbender View Post
Don't know if I'm asking this correctly or not, but is there anything out there that shows what sheet metal parts go into a 30-31 truck? I'm a bodyman for a living and we have exploded views of what sheet metal goes where on the newer cars and trucks...unfortunately they don't go back far enough for my truck...I'm new to the model A and don't know what is supposed to be where in it...something with measurements would even be more helpful if such a thing exists...can anybody point me in the right direction on this?
Here's some pictures of mine. It doesn't show everything. I have assemble more of it since these were taken. If you need any specific info or pictures, I'll be glad to help you out if I'm able to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1508.JPG (136.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1514.JPG (156.7 KB, 61 views)
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
1Metalbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Here's some pictures of mine. It doesn't show everything. I have assemble more of it since these were taken. If you need any specific info or pictures, I'll be glad to help you out if I'm able to.
Pm sent along with a phone number, hope to hear from you
Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
1Metalbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Start bringing a camera to swap meets and hope that you find one to photograph. I usually have my camera at swap meets, what specifically are you interested in?

Charlie Stephens
I'm wondering what I'm missing from mine...now many swap meets or shows around me but the 1 show we have I took a camera to...only 30-31 there was fiberglass so not much help...I did order the restoration manual though...should be here sometime this week
Old 10-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
holdover

1 Metalbender, I live in Floyd County VA, which is 3 hours from where you are. I have a '31 AA and a '30 AA which I am presently restoring, that has a Budd Cab which is correct for a late '31. If you are not Familiar the Budd Cab has a steel roof. You are welcome to come and take all the PICS, measurements you would like, if you can't find anything closer

try here for the CAB http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-upload...l-aa-truck.jpg

or here for all, not as good as modern day sheet metal info, truck is at the bottom, scroll down

http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...pecifications/

Last edited by holdover; 10-23-2016 at 06:26 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
CarlG

Hey Vince, Like your new Avatar picture. My Dad use to get that publication in the '50's. I always read it cover to cover, as soon as it arrived each time.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
1Metalbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
1 Metalbender, I live in Floyd County VA, which is 3 hours from where you are. I have a '31 AA and a '30 AA which I am presently restoring, that has a Budd Cab which is correct for a late '31. If you are not Familiar the Budd Cab has a steel roof. You are welcome to come and take all the PICS, measurements you would like, if you can't find anything closer

try here for the CAB http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-upload...l-aa-truck.jpg

or here for all, not as good as modern day sheet metal info, truck is at the bottom, scroll down

http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...pecifications/

What I'm looking for is the measurements for the sub rails, and internal pieces of the cab...I can find replacement rpu sub rails but nothing for the closed cab trucks...believe I may have finally located a cab back (fingers crossed) in North Dakota IF I can get the guy to ship it to me which would be a huge help...thanks for the invite! I'll pm you my number
Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
SSsssteamer

I have successfully assembled both the 30 cab and the late 31 Budd cabs from the basic tin pieces salvaged from 5 different pick up cabs. The only problem that I encountered were the new door headers. The new door headers were about a half of an inch too long and the doors wouldn't latch as the door opening was too wide. I was able to shorten my door headers by using the pick up door header strip as the length to match up the door header with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Ford Pick up with door open.jpg (64.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1930 & 1931 Ford Pick ups. small file.jpg (82.7 KB, 26 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
1Metalbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I have successfully assembled both the 30 cab and the late 31 Budd cabs from the basic tin pieces salvaged from 5 different pick up cabs. The only problem that I encountered were the new door headers. The new door headers were about a half of an inch too long and the doors wouldn't latch as the door opening was too wide. I was able to shorten my door headers by using the pick up door header strip as the length to match up the door header with.
Pretty much what I'm doing is piecing one together as well...just buying pieces as I find them to get it done
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
1Metalbender

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
Mikeinnj

Put the name FLOP in the "search" feature at the top of this page and dig back to some entries and photos by him where he restored my '30 CCPU which was a mess and he fixed it up like new.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote