Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #1
Veeder

Default 41 fuel gauge (fixed resistance value)

I'm being a bit lazy hoping someone knows this off the top of their head otherwise I'll get under the dash.

Looking for the fixed resistance of a ford fuel gauge 1940's vintage
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: 41 fuel gauge (fixed resistance value)

Not sure what you mean here, do you mean the resistance value range empty to full. Are you trying to match up a modern sender unit to your original Ford gauge ? If that is your intention then that is not how these original Ford gauges work with a variable resistance sender unit. Please explain. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
Veeder

I think Kevin there is a current limiting resistor in the gauge itself. I'm aware (thanks to a few here on the barn ) how the gauge works it's basically a form of pulse width modulation.

To answer your question though I'm a tempting to simulate this on my bench without pulling the gauge out. I'm replacing the tank and have a new sending unit (purely resistive design) and want to see how it behaves as best I can.

And if course finding a new tank that will accommodate the old gauge is not quite as simple as one would hope. I can fit the old gauge into the new tank with an adapter plate but I don't believe the original float will fit.

Bob
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
19Fordy

Veeder Here's what the inside of the 1940 Ford gas gauge looks like. 41 is the same.: Gas tank sending unit also shown. Do a search on Gas Tank Sending Unit and tons of great info. appears that will help you. Please report back as to whether or not you are able to get your gas gauge to read accurately at E, 1/4.1/2 ,3/4 and F. Accuracy is the BIG problem as the OEM gauge and sending unit don't operate on the Ohms principle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6535b.jpg (54.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3066b.jpg (33.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9104B.jpg (68.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3068b.jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9093b.jpg (119.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-21-2021 at 10:23 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
rotorwrench

King Seeley made automotive temperature, fluid quantity, and pressure gauge & indicating systems for a number of manufacturers back in the 6-volt and early 12-volt era. They have a heating coil and a bi-metallic breaker unit in the sender and just a heater & bi-metallic strip in the indicator unit. They work off deflection of the sender by either pressure or temperature methods. For pressure & quantity senders the bi-metallic has pressure acting on it through a diaphragm. For temperature, it only needs a rise or drop in temperature to affect a bi-metallic strip. The breaker sends a variable current to the indicator which reacts to the current sent for an indicator needle movement.

This system has less chance for wear and electrical open or short condition than a resistance type potentiometer movement so it makes it more reliable. Many of the senders just need the points to be cleaned to restore function.

Checking ohms only measures the value of the heating element if anything at all.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
19Fordy

THANK YOU "rotorwrench" for the clarification. Another thought:
It would be possible to enlarge the hole in the reproduction steel tank so as to acccomodate the stock sender. I did the same with a TANKS INC. plastic tank and was able to use the stock 1940 sending unit.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote