Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #41
fourspeedwagon

Default Re: The Military Model-A

Old-duff didn't say anything about it being a replica WWII rig did he? Just military.

She's a beaut by the way, thanks for posting pics.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Harley03joe

Smile Re: The Military Model-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-duff View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a newbie [one post] but I have been lurking for over two years, want to thank the members for all the great information that I've picked up reading the forum, when I started my project I had just a chassis, I looked for a body, found a '29 ccpu cab, so I decided to build a truck, while reading the forum I read where there were no Ford Model-A's in the military, so I thought I would try to dress a Model-A in military garb....Had a blast, great fun, a little challenging, but i loved every minute of it, Here are a few pictures of my Military Model-A.
Very Nice Duff, I Really Like It
Here Is My M-151 A2 Mutt Also USMC
Pictures Attached
Enjoy
Harley03joe

Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #43
Joe K

A little off topic but certainly of interest. Not too many Mutts made it into civilian life.

Per Wikipedia...

The handling issues were eventually resolved by a redesign of the rear suspension, introduced in the M151A2 model. However, due to liability concerns, the U.S. Department of Defense deemed all M151 series vehicles "unsafe for public highway use", limiting their public use. Continuing problems with vehicle roll-overs into the 1980s led the US military to retrofit many M151 series vehicles with the "Roll over protection structure" (ROPS), a roll cage intended to protect both front and rear seat passengers.
Post Military Use

In the early 1990s the M151s began being phased out of service in favour of the Humvee. A few (perhaps 1000) were sold via Government Surplus auctions, and those that were not sold via Foreign Military Sales (FMS) overseas were cut into four pieces and scrapped. However some individuals were able to buy these "quartered" M151's and simply weld the four sections back together, and rebuilt them into drivable condition. Additionally, beginning in the late 1990s a few companies dealing in Military surplus items bought M151's from some of the foreign governments that received the vehicles via FMS for reconditioning and further sales.[citation neIeded]

I know that "mutt stuff" tends to go pretty pricey over at Ebayland.

Joe K
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #44
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
A little off topic but certainly of interest. Not too many Mutts made it into civilian life.

Per Wikipedia...

The handling issues were eventually resolved by a redesign of the rear suspension, introduced in the M151A2 model. However, due to liability concerns, the U.S. Department of Defense deemed all M151 series vehicles "unsafe for public highway use", limiting their public use. Continuing problems with vehicle roll-overs into the 1980s led the US military to retrofit many M151 series vehicles with the "Roll over protection structure" (ROPS), a roll cage intended to protect both front and rear seat passengers.
Post Military Use

In the early 1990s the M151s began being phased out of service in favour of the Humvee. A few (perhaps 1000) were sold via Government Surplus auctions, and those that were not sold via Foreign Military Sales (FMS) overseas were cut into four pieces and scrapped. However some individuals were able to buy these "quartered" M151's and simply weld the four sections back together, and rebuilt them into drivable condition. Additionally, beginning in the late 1990s a few companies dealing in Military surplus items bought M151's from some of the foreign governments that received the vehicles via FMS for reconditioning and further sales.[citation neIeded]

I know that "mutt stuff" tends to go pretty pricey over at Ebayland.

Joe K
Mine Had The ROPS But I Took Them Out, And It Was Never Cut
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #45
Y-Blockhead

I was perusing the Net and came across this article on FAI armored car. The FAI was built on the chassis of the GAZ A car, a licensed copy of the US Ford A built in the Soviet Union in the 30's to early 40's.

Interesting article if your interested... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_armoured_car
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #46
marc hildebrant

Nice looking Springfield 1903 in the Cab, although a Garand would be correct for WW2.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #47
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I was perusing the Net and came across this article on FAI armored car. The FAI was built on the chassis of the GAZ A car, a licensed copy of the US Ford A built in the Soviet Union in the 30's to early 40's.

Interesting article if your interested... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_armoured_car
The GAZ 67 Jeep was also based on the GAZ A/Ford Model A. Note the obvious Model A style gas tank cowl, etc.

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #48
cradlescyth

Fantastic work, and great dtail.

good luck with it!!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #49
beechboy