Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: V-J Day August 15, 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Great story-My Dads first car (a 1938 Triumph Dolemite Drophead Coupe ) was sold to buy a cot for me when I was born . Mum and Dad courted in it and drove it on their honeymoon. It was sold locally and is still owned by the same person. Mum and Dad are both gone now , The owner has told me that it is in his will that on his passing it will be offered for sale to me . I don't think there will be much haggling on the price on my part !!

Kind'a like this one, eh? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #42
Fortunateson

A lot of very brave men and women served during WWII. Some of whom were not treated with respect when they returned. But beyond all that, being a history teacher for 38 years I always have to mention one tiny fact that somehow gets no mention as to the ending of the war with Japan.

Stalin had promised to enter the war and break its treaty with Japan. There was a timeline to do this due to the Potsdam or Yalta conference though right now I can't remember which. It had to be within five months.

Though the Soviets could have entered around August 6th they held off until the day before the second bomb drop. They were entering into Manchuria with 1,775,000 troops and equipment on three fronts. So not to take anything away from all who fought and the nuclear technology the Soviet invasion force, due to its intimidating number, also played a huge part in Japan's surrender. (As a matter of fact the Soviet front had a very big influence on the outcome of the war in Europe as well; the Germans spent a lot of lives, resources, and energy trying to defeat them on the Eastern Front that otherwise would have made the outcome of the Western Front a lot more difficult to achieve.)

I suppose the hatred and fear of the Soviet system has allowed the propagation that it was solely the two nuclear bombs that led to Japan's surrender.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #43
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Kind'a like this one, eh? DD

No Dad always called it a Drophead coupe but I think its actually the Coupe/Roadster
Attached is a bad picture of it and a better picture of my wife in it -She is very happy for it to end up in our garage one day

It was brought in England by a wealthy farmer who shipped it back from England just before the war. After the war it was driven a lot by the farmers best friend a local lawyer who went on to be a knighted politician and incidentally was also my mothers Godfather
-I MUST be fated to own it -Karl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dolemite .jpg (62.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DolemiteAndrea.jpg (35.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Karl; 08-18-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #44
tomcarman

It is with the utmost respect I have for this generation. Sad the news never mentioned DDAY nor VJDay.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:00 AM   #45
Fortunateson

Up here they did.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:51 AM   #46
fourfords

My Uncle Lee was KIA off Samar, Philippines October 25, 1944 by Imperial Japanese Navy. The efforts of his Taffy 3 group saved thousands of American lives and repelled the far superior Japanese fleet which included at the time the largest battleship in the world. Visited the war memorial at Pearl Harbor when I was quite young. quite humbling, even as a small child. Still have my V-J Day pin with ribbon. Dedicated my '37 Deluxe Fordor to his memory with his photo on board his ship earlier in the war and prior to the battle. -Pinned to the headliner. Deep thanks to all who have found America worth the effort.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #47
Karl

We owe them so much !
The sad thing is none of the young staff i work with could tell me what was significant about Aug 6th , 9th or 15th in history . What do they actually learn in school ???