Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Alan O'Connell

Default 1935 Cabriolet body number

I'm trying to determine the body number on my cabriolet. My car was assembled in early February 1935. The body number would be placed on the firewall from Murray or Briggs earlier because the body would have to be shipped to a Ford assembly plant. Does anyone have a 35 Cabriolet with the original body number plate? It might give me a starting point to somewhat accurately determine my body number.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 1935 Cabriolet body number

Wouldn't the frame/transmission number really be the "more" accurate number to use for that? Van Pelts has the engine number sequence for production runs and dates.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Terry,OH

One way is to determine the total number of the body style made, then divide by the number of weeks of model year production. That would give you an average production per week. Determine the number of weeks into production your car body was made and then multiply that number by the average production per week.
In reality production ramps up over a few months with more and more bodies made each month at the start of the production year and ramps down quickly toward the end of production year. A Cabriolet body could get stored until being able to be reached for body drop. Depending upon where it was stored at the factory and the availability for Ford factory to get at the body, plus the amount of orders for the body style. So it is possible in 1935 to have a body with many early features on a frame with a number past the early part of production.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Don Rogers

Alan, I have attached a summary of world wide production numbers for 1935 Cabriolets. If you know when your engine was produced, you can use that dates to determine a possible range of body numbers. For example: an engine produced in mid February might mate up to a body in late Feb/early March. Therefore the body number range should be between 3000 and 4000. This is just a ball park calculation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab numbers 1935.jpg (160.4 KB, 35 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote