Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
john in illinois

Default Re: leaking gas tank at steering column bracket

The 31 bracket will bolt directly to a 30. A 28-29 needs a spacer.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1444.JPG (129.8 KB, 59 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
I do not use steering support or choke support . just better that way
Curios what you use to hold the column in place?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
olut

thank you all for your thoughts, at a closer look it appears, that one of the previous owners tried to fix something on it, so I will drain the fuel, dry up the gas tank, remove all paint and other stuff at the area around the support plate, will wash it with azethon, let it dry, light a candle and try to seal it.....

Best Greetings
Albert
Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #24
Chris H

How much disassembly of the dash is required to install the support bracket? My tank is not leaking, but I see this as a good preventative measure. Just wondering how much trouble I will be getting myself into before I make the attempt. I have a 1930 Tudor.

Thanks

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #25
TerryH

If it's not leaking now, then just leave it alone, and do not grab the wheel for leverage when you get in the car.....that is the main reason for these leaks.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #26
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
How much disassembly of the dash is required to install the support bracket? My tank is not leaking, but I see this as a good preventative measure. Just wondering how much trouble I will be getting myself into before I make the attempt. I have a 1930 Tudor.

Thanks
As previously noted on the 30's it is bolt on. I added a third bolt by drilling an extra hole to match the center hole in the new bracket. You might also want to check your steering box mount bolts for wear as the column flexing with the tank mounted bracket will cause them to work and wear.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #27
Synchro909

None of the vendors sell a steering column support bracket that is usable. I have to make my own.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #28
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
None of the vendors sell a steering column support bracket that is usable. I have to make my own.
http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A3520E.html

With minimal strain this worked on my '28. Give it a try.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #29
aermotor

Quote:
Right hand drive difference?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #30
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Right hand drive difference?

John
Probably, but I would think that a small wedge would take up any slack that was found. Even a roof shingle could be used to compensate for the dash rail variance.

If your gas tank has been abused enough to start the leaking, it is not only time to try other things, but also time to get the tank out of the car before something serious happens.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #31
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawhideKid View Post
Probably, but I would think that a small wedge would take up any slack that was found. Even a roof shingle could be used to compensate for the dash rail variance.

If your gas tank has been abused enough to start the leaking, it is not only time to try other things, but also time to get the tank out of the car before something serious happens.
A wedge would be super ugly and not the way I'd like to go, though it might work for some. Try holding one on the other side of the car and see how far off it is.
Fitting a steering column support in my case is not a matter of trying to fix a leak, rather trying to prevent one starting. On a couple of my cars, bought in the US, I needed a support when I converted to RHD, again no leak involved. In addition, the support I make is ideal for mounting a couple of instruments and warning lights (like turn indicators). I don't like instruments mounted under the dash where they get in the way when releasing the hand brake. On the support is an ideal place for me and they are close to the driver's line of sight. For the car we use to tow our camper, which is fitted with electric brakes, the controller is mounted on a bracket screwed to the support.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #32
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
A wedge would be super ugly and not the way I'd like to go, though it might work for some. Try holding one on the other side of the car and see how far off it is.
Fitting a steering column support in my case is not a matter of trying to fix a leak, rather trying to prevent one starting. On a couple of my cars, bought in the US, I needed a support when I converted to RHD, again no leak involved. In addition, the support I make is ideal for mounting a couple of instruments and warning lights (like turn indicators). I don't like instruments mounted under the dash where they get in the way when releasing the hand brake. On the support is an ideal place for me and they are close to the driver's line of sight. For the car we use to tow our camper, which is fitted with electric brakes, the controller is mounted on a bracket screwed to the support.
A wedge would also not be seen because it mounts to the upper tank lip and is behind the dash rail.

Just a thought.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #33
Fred K-OR

[QUOTE=Chris H;1481402]How much disassembly of the dash is required to install the support bracket? My tank is not leaking, but I see this as a good preventative measure. Just wondering how much trouble I will be getting myself into before I make the attempt. I have a 1930 Tudor.

Thanks[/QUOTE

Chris, the only thing I did was to take off the panel that goes across the dash. If I remember there are two screws on each end. I put the bracket on both of my rigs. They are 1929 models but I used the brackets that are used on the 30/31's.

I purchased them on EBay but you may be better off to purchase them from one of the vendors. I found that there were two lengths. The first one I got and used went on without much effort. All I had to do was drill a hole in the dash for one of the bolts. The other bolt fit in one of the bolts that bolt the gas tank to the body.. The second one I got and installed was a bit longer so I had to "file" it down a bit to get it to fit.

If you like I could send you some pictures. Just PM me with your email address and I will send.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote