Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Chris in CT

Default The lubricant discussions, etc.

Hi Guys,
I just wanted to add my two cents to this seemingly endless discussion. I don't know if you all have noticed, but we do seem to get a steady trickle of people who are new to this hobby. Unless they happen to be mechanically sophisticated, probably one of the first questions they will ask is, "what kind of oil should I put into my Model A?" Perhaps they are new to Fordbarn, and are not familiar with the search functions that the Forum has to offer.

May I counsel patience on this topic? I know we have seen this question and the inevitable responses a thousand times, but we need to
be hospitable and welcome the new Model A'er into the hobby so that he/she will feel welcome here, and able to seek the advice of more experienced gearheads when advice is needed. When I was 17, I had my first Model A, but I already had quite a bit of experience for a kid. These days, it is only the rare youngster that gets that kind of experience, since modern engines are very complicated and computer-controlled.

How is the question, "What kind of oil should I put in my Model A?" any different than, "Do you think it is going to rain, today?" Its a conversation opener, and if we want to have a continuing conversation with new Model A'ers, we start with the basic ice-breakers of simple, clearly stated questions. And if we want friends going forward, we answer them with patience and kindness.

Well, thus endeth the sermon. Happy Motoring, folks! Chris
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: The lubricant discussions, etc.

Well Said! I've asked plenty of "stupid" questions in my life...Some of them turned out to be not so stupid in the end.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
steve s

Amen, brother!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

No question is "stupid, IMO. The asker and others who wouldn't ask the same question usually (always) benefit form the answers given here.

JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in CT View Post
Hi Guys,
I just wanted to add my two cents to this seemingly endless discussion. I don't know if you all have noticed, but we do seem to get a steady trickle of people who are new to this hobby. Unless they happen to be mechanically sophisticated, probably one of the first questions they will ask is, "what kind of oil should I put into my Model A?" Perhaps they are new to Fordbarn, and are not familiar with the search functions that the Forum has to offer.

May I counsel patience on this topic? I know we have seen this question and the inevitable responses a thousand times, but we need to
be hospitable and welcome the new Model A'er into the hobby so that he/she will feel welcome here, and able to seek the advice of more experienced gearheads when advice is needed. When I was 17, I had my first Model A, but I already had quite a bit of experience for a kid. These days, it is only the rare youngster that gets that kind of experience, since modern engines are very complicated and computer-controlled.

How is the question, "What kind of oil should I put in my Model A?" any different than, "Do you think it is going to rain, today?" Its a conversation opener, and if we want to have a continuing conversation with new Model A'ers, we start with the basic ice-breakers of simple, clearly stated questions. And if we want friends going forward, we answer them with patience and kindness.

Well, thus endeth the sermon. Happy Motoring, folks! Chris
I agree 100% this is the same sorta thing that I said on the 600W thread!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Terry, NJ

Chris, Well Said! I was trying to assume the position of the "Newbie" (which I am, although not that new anymore) in the other thread. Bill said to use the "search" function. With no disrespect to Bill, I prefer to ask and get lots of opinions. I don't like the fact that model As use antiquated 600W Steam Cylinder oil from the distant past.
I want to use a more modern lubricant. But I don't know which one. By several of us asking which one, we can find out what worked (and didn't work) I Thank god that the ModA can almost be run on anything. It's hard to go wrong. Now we can go on to other things till next week!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Pilotdave

Could someone put together a "paper" on this topic and pin it at the top of page 1? We could refer people to it. That would eliminate recreating the answer and meet the needs of those who ask. That is, if we can agree on the right answer.!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
willobs

I am suprised at the change of advise each different time the subject comes up. I went to the advise last year on using Lucas Hub Oil it is still working for me. My paint is turning dull waiting for the advise an Wax!
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

Whether or not one finds answers to vintage vehicle maintenance questions in "Search", if there were no repeat Model A questions by either new or existing Model A owners, what subjects would one think would be discussed herein -- how dull could it get?

As far as hurt feelings for a newbie on any Hobby Forum, as an example, suppose a city guy moves to the country & buys his first horse for recreation.

He goes to his first Horse Hobby Forum for the first time & he asks:

"How many times a day should I bring my horse to the nearby stream to drink?"

In 10 minutes he gets multiple responses that he is a certified dumb ass!

He is deeply hurt & never returns.

But today, in 2013, what percentage of the entire U.S. population could have answered his question correctly?

If one thinks oil questions are never answered, can anybody guess, (under normal conditions), how often a horse needs to drink?

Appears we all tend to forget, (& maybe it is normal), that we forget that at one time we all knew nothing -- but somebody was always kind & patient enough to answer our dumb questions.

Kerosene lamps & wood stoves are even more complicated for most in 2013.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Hicktick

I learned very early on this forum , that discussing oil is like discussing women or religion .

They all come in many sizes , shapes , colors .and flavors .

That said , pick one and see if it fits you . Modern oils are all good .

I don't use any non detergent .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willobs View Post
I am suprised at the change of advise each different time the subject comes up. I went to the advise last year on using Lucas Hub Oil it is still working for me. My paint is turning dull waiting for the advise an Wax!
You might need a new paint job to get rid of the old alkyd enamel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote