Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
MustangMatt2010

Default new cover... any recommendations?

Hey guys! Looking for a good model A cover. Was thinking about this one http://www.customcarcovers.com/car-c...tion-car-cover but wanted to see if you guys have heard anything about them or had any recommendations. Thanks!
MustangMatt2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: new cover... any recommendations?

Check these out. I bought 3, one for my 28 Phaeton, one for my 1950 Studebaker, and one for my 1991 Oldsmobile. Can't beat the price. I like them and will buy more as needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LAYER-CAR-...98720c&vxp=mtr
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Matt. That's the cover (Covercraft Evolution®) I have and really like it. Ensure you order the correct one for your Model A. The one I ordered "Custom Fit" for my Town Sedan (1930 FORD MODEL A WITH VISOR WITH TRUNK). I have my spare tire and a trunk on the back and it fits over them easily. I also ordered the matching LARGE BAG to store it in.
The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have "Mirror Pockets" included which makes it fit a little tight at the mirrors. You can pay extra and have them custom sew in the mirror pockets but not really needed.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-20-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Add picture.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
JohnLaVoy

Fit is obviously important but the material is equally as important. You want it to breathe so that moisture isn't trapped inside. Years ago I covered the phaeton with a "water" proof cover and in the spring when I took it off found condensation all over the car!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Tom Bellfoy

Tom W:
Do you have a contact phone number for the company you purchased from as the add states the cover is not compatible for a 31 Model A. I'd like to contact them to make sure I would be ordering the correct cover
Thanks
Tom B.
Tom Bellfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Fit is obviously important but the material is equally as important. You want it to breathe so that moisture isn't trapped inside. Years ago I covered the phaeton with a "water" proof cover and in the spring when I took it off found condensation all over the car!
John, that's so true. That's one of the reasons I chose the Evolution.

"Covercraft Evolution® Car Cover
Do you need a sturdy, reliable car cover that can protect your ride against all types of weather conditions? Covercraft Evolution® car covers offer effective multi-layered protection against the elements, as well as dust, dirt, tree sap, bird droppings and more. Evolution® is a state-of-the-art non-woven polypropylene fabric made by Kimberly-Clark that is the preferred choice of millions of vehicle owners around the globe.

Four Layers of Protection for Your Vehicle

The Covercraft Evolution® car cover features four layers that shield your vehicle from the worst that Mother Nature and human beings can dish out. The tough outer layer keeps the moisture and sun away, while the two center layers consist of melt-down fabric that effectively filters out dust and other airborne pollutants.

There’s also a specially designed inner layer that offers gentle protection for most fine paint finishes. This layer features the ideal combination of polyethylene for softness and polypropylene for strength.

Keep Harmful Moisture Away

In addition to keeping the rain off of your vehicle, the moisture-resistant Covercraft Evolution® car cover dries quickly and easily, as moisture is not absorbed by the fabric fibers. The material’s built-in breathability also enables moisture to escape from underneath the cover.

The Best Protection Against UV Rays

The sun’s ultraviolet rays can take their toll on both the exterior and interior of your vehicle over time. Using a Covercraft Evolution® car cover is your best defense against sun damage. Comprehensive testing conducted by Kimberly-Clark has verified that Evolution® fabric offers the highest UPF rating of any of the company’s non-woven fabrics."
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMatt2010 View Post
Hey guys! Looking for a good model A cover. Was thinking about this one http://www.customcarcovers.com/car-c...tion-car-cover but wanted to see if you guys have heard anything about them or had any recommendations. Thanks!
I use their "Dustop" covers in my garage to keep dust off the cars. Not weather proof but light and keeps the car clean between uses.

I also have an Evolution cover like this. They work great. Waterproof. Tough.

You can get cheaper covers. You get what you pay for.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I usually buy from CoverCraft. I have bought 6 Noah covers and 2 Technolon covers. They are all, All Weather covers. Not cheap but very high quality.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bellfoy View Post
Tom W:
Do you have a contact phone number for the company you purchased from as the add states the cover is not compatible for a 31 Model A. I'd like to contact them to make sure I would be ordering the correct cover
Thanks
Tom B.
A bodyman in our club had a cover on his Model A, and I liked it.
He said it came fron a company in Texas, so I did an email search using:

"7 layer cover 1928 Model A Phaeton"

If this doesn't work for you then I'll try to search it again.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i just bought these for Lucy & Paul indoor ones
california car covers 300 each i stole them yaaahoo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.4 KB, 33 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bellfoy View Post
Tom W:
Thanks
Tom B.
Here is a link to the ebay listing for the cover company in Texas where I bought my Phaeton cover. I wanted a good waterproof outdoor cover for overnight storage when I'm out somewhere, and for the times I might get caught in the rain. This has the soft inner liner and is good for indoor and outdoor use. Do a search for "5 layer Model A car cover" and list your body style. I also bought a cover for my 1950 Studebaker and it's listed as a 7 layer cover. They look the same to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-A...d12753&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 11-21-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
jimvette59

I don't recommend California Car Covers . 1. The first one I purchased disintegrated in two years out side the material inside let loose and my black 31 tudor looked like it was flocked. They sent a new one but the back section was missing I sent it back and they sent another and it is like the first one. I through it out after it did the same.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
I don't recommend California Car Covers . 1. The first one I purchased disintegrated in two years out side the material inside let loose and my black 31 tudor looked like it was flocked. They sent a new one but the back section was missing I sent it back and they sent another and it is like the first one. I through it out after it did the same.
If that is what their product is like I don't blame you. After all that I wouldn't recommend them either !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
RobertB

Just a note of caution. Depending on where you live, it the car is not garaged, a cover can cause as much harm and leaving it uncovered.

Rust issues if it holds moisture in wet climates...or from my personal experience, dust/sand problems in the desert.

I bought an expensive cover for a Triumph TR4 project after I had it newly painted. A year later I found the cover had moved with the wind, and rubbed completely through the new Imron in a couple of places.

Just my 2 bits, YMMV.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Fred K-OR

I had a "car cover" that came with my coupe when I purchased it. The thing weighed a ton and you need a crane to lift it up on the car. I stored it in a pile in my shop and the mice got into it. Thus it ended up on my burn pile and is gone. I did not know the brand but it was heavy canvas or something like that.

For my huckster which is stored inside, my wife made a cover out of old light bed sheets. She made it to fit the rig. I have used it mainly to keep off dust in the shop and I think it tends to keep some moisture from the wood on the huckster. So far so good and talk about cheap, yes sir nothing but the "best" for my huckster.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
john in illinois

I bought a nice fitting,well made inside cover from Snyders. They are custom for each body style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.6 KB, 13 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
MustangMatt2010

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
MustangMatt2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Patrick L.

I too use old bed sheets, seems appropriate for a long winters nap.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
Barry B./ Ma.

I used to use bed sheets too but I recently bought a cover from Walmart that fits nicely, the material is soft and perfect for inside storage. Mine is a Budge size 2 which fits the coupe nicely for just under $30 including shipping.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
Ed Northrop

I have 2 California covers both are around 20 years old still very nice shape
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote