Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
34pickup

Default 1948 radio options

What have some of you used for an original looking radio in your 1946-48 cars? My system has been converted to 12 volt negative ground and the original radio's insides look like they have been underwater for years. So I was looking for an "original looking" style of am/fm radio. But most of what I can find online look like cheap black plastic crap.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: 1948 radio options

There are several places that will convert your original radio with modern innards. A google for "car radio conversions" or something similar will bring them up. You might have better luck on the Early V8 forum. This one's for late V8s (1954 und up).
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
34pickup

Oops, I thought I was over on the older forum.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
delco1946

Old radios are rather durable and often easy for someone in-the-know to repair. I will always encourage someone to try and get their radio repaired versus gutting it, although I cant speak to the added challenge of the electrical conversation. I also support staying on 6v positive ground for such reasons lol!

As I recall all I did was replace the capacitors, gave my vibrator a gentle but firm whack, and added a redi-radio device to plug my phone in as I don't have much AM worth listening to. Mine is top of the line from '55 with 8 tubes and puts out some good sound!
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
They do have exceptional amplification. Setting them up to amplify from an input signal like a cell phone or MP3 player is do-able. A person needs soldering equipment and skill set. Instructions can be found on the web.

Changing voltage and polarity can be done two ways depending on whether the unit still has an old mechanical vibrator or a solid state PDC device. The old mechanical vibrators aren't polarity sensitive but solid state units are. A dropping resistor will work for the voltage change in the old units. The other method is that radio can be converted to 12-volt by replacment of the power transformer, the vibrator can be replaced to make sure it is compatible, and all the tubes have to be changed to 12-volt types. Many are unplug 6-volt and plug in the 12-volt but there can be compatability problems with some rectifier tubes that may require the change of the tube plug socket.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote