Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #21
HD

Default Re: V-J Day April 15, 1945

There are 2 correct dates for VJ DAY, August 15 is when Japen surrendered, and September 2 when they signed the papers on the USS Missouri
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #22
Newc

Default Re: V-J Day August 15, 1945

Wow; My Dad was a reserve officer and got called up immediately. He did the whole thing from N. Africa into Germany, and stayed in active reserves-retired in '62. We were a 'Reserves' family. He wrote his ww2 memoirs and I'm supposed to publish them. Everyone is gone now. Truman saved many Allied lives with those bombs. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Truman saved many Allied lives with those bombs. Newc

It's been said that Truman was kept in the dark about the development of those things until FDR was gone. They also say that he agonized over their eventual use. Yup, saved MANY Allied lives!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Is Richmond Bell still on here? He had an old Ford parts business in Wellfleet Ma. on Cape Cod for many years. He is a WW2 vet who was in the fight. I spent seven years in southeastern Ma. back in the 60s and 70s and my father in law bought model A parts from him. I have had two fathers in law and they both fought in the South Pacific. Okinawa and the Philipines. Never a war story from either.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #25
50fordcoupeman

Yes a great generation. I salute them all. My wifes father was a Hellcat carrier pilot in the South Pacific. Made it through but splashed down twice. We have his picture with him sitting on the wing of his last plane-he shot down 4 and had 23 bombing missions in a Hellcat.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #26
MGG

In all fairness to 19Fordy he started out the title of the thread with August 15, 1945 and in post #2 it got changed to April 15. It got changed back to August in post 22. How does this happen?
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #27
19Fordy

Thanks to the help of another Fordbarner, I was able to change the title from April to
August 15, 1945.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #28
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Thanks to the help of another Fordbarner, I was able to change the title from April to
August 15, 1945.
Good to set the record straight, Jim....and makes you feel a lot better!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
August 15, 1945.

Many folks don't believe that you can change a THREAD TITLE on FordBarn. Well, you CAN change a TITLE. You can also change the header in a "For Sale" post from the item displayed, to something else completely, like "SOLD" for instance.

It's simple to do. The ORIGINAL poster simply begins by clicking the button. When the new window pops-up, click "Go Advanced". Now, it is possible to change ANYTHING you want in that window, including the TITLE line, to anything you can dream-up! When finished editing, click on "Save Changes"...………...DONE!

You can go look at the 'play' post that I created, and then went back later and changed the TITLE, as well as some of the message content. Click the link below! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...41#post1921241

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #30
tubman

"19Fordy" - I did not mean anything disrespectful in my original post; it's just that these days, unintentional errors sometimes take on a life of their own, especially with incidents a far in the past as this is. I have a penchant for correctness in situations such as this.

Also, it's good to know how to correct thread titles; I made an embarrassing error in one of mine a couple of days ago, but was able to figure out how to fix it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #31
B-O-B

I had a close cousin that was in the air force as an engineer. He was stationed in Australia & married a Aussie girl. Never returned to the states. Became an engineer there & had his own business. They lived in Melbourne. I had a B-I-L that was in the tank core and saw action in Africa. He did come home & was a stone mason. Both are long gone now. I was in the Korean conflict but didn't see any action. Just a lowely mechanic.
In my home town of Hartford ,Ohio we had a guy that survived the Bataan death march,never talked about it.
I had 3 brothers & myself that served & all survived. There is only 2 of us left.
Japan surrender is on my b'day.

Last edited by B-O-B; 08-17-2020 at 01:11 PM.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #32
19Fordy

B-O-B: Thanks to you. your brothers and friends who served.

Glad you made it back home.

Sad, the students today haven't a clue. Sad also that history fades with passing of time.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Sad, the students today haven't a clue. Sad also that history fades with passing of time.

Sad that some folks are trying to change history. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #34
quik

Awesome thread. Thanks to all who served.

My Grandfather (Dad's dad) served in the Marines in the South Pacific and fought in Guadalcanal and Palau, which were 2 years apart so he was in for a while. Neither my Dad or Uncle had any idea of what he did during WWII. He never mentioned any of it to anyone. They didn't find out about his service record until after he passed and they found his original discharge papers in his belongings.

My grandmother (Dad's mom) was in the motor pool in Washington DC. She was General Eisenhower's personal driver whenever he was in DC. No pictures to prove it, but that's the story I was told and I'm sticking to it.

Another book you should consider reading is "To Wake the Giant: A Novel of Pearl Harbor". I'm in the middle of it now. It tells the story of the events leading up to Pearl Harbor beginning in December 1940 through the eyes of Admiral Yamamoto, the Secretary of State Cordell Hull, and a naval private who ends up on the Arizona. It's a great read.

https://www.amazon.com/Wake-Giant-No.../dp/0593129628
quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #35
Karl

Default Re: V-J Day April 15, 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Half way through it and loving it. Earlier this year I read 'Killing the Rising Sun'. That was great too. The good guys won.
Yep I agree but what was left of the bad guys ended up with booming economies thanks to the generosity of the good guys rebuilding them afterwards ( The Marshall Plan)

The making of the Atomic Bomb is fascinating . Essentially they threw money at the problem till they solved it. An example is that they needed to purify the Uranium 235 one way of doing this is through gas diffusion through a membrane (there are others like the cyclotron and they used those as well) Uranium hexofluaride gas is very corrosive They didn't know if they could make a membrane or if they could make a pump that would work but they knew if they did they would need power for the pumps so they build a power station first - not knowing if they could even solve the other problems (which they did)

I was reading up about Little Boy last night - It had 64kg of uranium in it of which only 1kg fissioned and only 0.6 of gram was converted in to kinetic and heat energy -All that blast apparently came from 0. 6 grams of material -I find that incomprehensible ! Karl

Last edited by Karl; 08-18-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #36
petehoovie

Did you know that more money was spent in the development of the B-29 than was spent in developing the Atomic Bomb? $3 Billion vs. $1.9 Billion....

"The $3 billion cost of design and production (equivalent to $43 billion today[5])—far exceeding the $1.9 billion cost of the Manhattan Project—made the B-29 program the most expensive of the war." >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...perfortress%22

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 08-17-2020 at 08:21 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #37
swedishsteel

My dad was left seat pilot on a B17, flew 23 combat missions and 4 "Chowhound" missions out of Framlingham, England, 390th Bomb Group at the end of the war in 1945. His plane got shot up a few times but none of his crew got hurt and they always made it home. Flew the plane home with his crew and landed on US soil July, 4 1945. Got married on July 21 and then headed off to South Dakota and was training in B29's when Japan surrendered. Not bad for a farm kid born in a log cabin in central Minnesota. Have pictures of him in his officers uniform with mom in front of his first car, '36 Ford 5 window. I didn't know that was his first car until he passed away and we were going through the old pictures. I was fortunate to find a basket case '36 coupe and now have one and every time I drive it I think of him.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #38
HD

Richmond Bell passed away a few months ago, he landed on OMAHA BEACH on D DAY, he was awarded A Bronze Star and 3 Purple Hearts, and last year in Boston the French Government awarded him with the highest award given to a Military member
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #39
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Did you know that more money was spent in the development of the B-29 than was spent in developing the Atomic Bomb? $3 Billion vs. $1.9 Billion....

"The $3 billion cost of design and production (equivalent to $43 billion today[5])—far exceeding the $1.9 billion cost of the Manhattan Project—m which made the B-29 program the most expensive of the war." >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...perfortress%22

Wow Thanks I didn't know that. In my curio treasure cabinet I have a small piece of greenish grey glassy rock . Its Trinite which was formed when the first atomic bomb exploded at the Trinity site and fused the sand under the tower to glass
Old 08-18-2020, 03:23 AM   #40
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
My dad was left seat pilot on a B17, flew 23 combat missions and 4 "Chowhound" missions out of Framlingham, England, 390th Bomb Group at the end of the war in 1945. His plane got shot up a few times but none of his crew got hurt and they always made it home. Flew the plane home with his crew and landed on US soil July, 4 1945. Got married on July 21 and then headed off to South Dakota and was training in B29's when Japan surrendered. Not bad for a farm kid born in a log cabin in central Minnesota. Have pictures of him in his officers uniform with mom in front of his first car, '36 Ford 5 window. I didn't know that was his first car until he passed away and we were going through the old pictures. I was fortunate to find a basket case '36 coupe and now have one and every time I drive it I think of him.
Great story-My Dads first car (a 1938 Triumph Dolemite Drophead Coupe ) was sold to buy a cot for me when I was born . Mum and Dad courted in it and drove it on their honeymoon. It was sold locally and is still owned by the same person. Mum and Dad are both gone now , The owner has told me that it is in his will that on his passing it will be offered for sale to me . I don't think there will be much haggling on the price on my part !!