Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Can this be saved?

Picked up a pair of 59 AB's,both have water damage..this is the worst,yarded the head on the other side at it was nowhere near as bad,the one piston i could read has STD stamped in it,the bore does have a slight ridge.the second one isn't as bad either and shows a piston .020 over..neither decks look cut,and valve protrusion where I can tell doesn't look too bad.

the way I see it I can go as far as .100 over to clean up the bores,deck the block,cut or fit some new seats but Im new at saving something like this..what do you think?
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: Can this be saved?

Anything is possible ,you won't know for sure till it is torn down and cleaned ,inspected, magged , pressure tested , sonic tested , looks like it may not be cost effective any needed sleeves etc. may be cheaper to find another block, tear it down clean it and post some pics.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
GB SISSON

Almost anything can be saved. Last year at the well attended Portland OR swapmeet I bought an excellent and clean 8ba block with all the internals in a box for 200 bucks. While trying to decide if the block for sale two booths down was truly a merc block with a 4" crank for 300.00, I let another buyer step in front and pick it up. Compared to MANY here, I'm a rank amature, having owned perhaps 20 flathead engines. Yes, that engine could be saved, but at what cost and why?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
Tinker

It's okay to walk away. Stand still long enough and have patience and look. When it's in front of you, buy it. Even then... you will have to do something else to fix it.

Better options then that one. In the long run you are better calling someone like H&h and have them send you a short block. Or any one other.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-12-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
……. decide if it was truly a merc block.....

There's NO decision to be made. There is NO differentiation between a '49-'53 Ford or Merc block, save for the paint color applied at the assembly plant! The crankshaft, pistons and other bolt-on components determine either Ford, or Mercury engine identity. BLOCKS ARE IDENTICAL! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #6
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I picked both of them up with a 359SU edelbrock 3x2 intake with 3 97's and an edmunds 8BA 2x2 intake with two 94's,I mess around with bangers some,and for what I paid for the carbs alone I basically got the engines for free. But it appears even with doing my own assembly and valve seat cutting with what you're saying is it still might not pencil out?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Tinker

Have at it! Sounds like a fun project and you know what your doing. Seriously, do it.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Thats where I'm at sir, Ive seen enough so far to warrant disassembly.If it continues to show promise my aim is a good running stock engine with a little added fuel and exhaust work,nothing special.I do my own water jacket cleaning and crack inspection with dye penetrant.If it goes well the only thing Ill farm out is the bore and deck work..got about fifty "If's" before I get there.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
Tinker

Well that is how it goes. It could be flathead 1 or flathead 100, it's still really about that one. I hope it goes well, at least the very least it will be a learning process and at the very best it will be a runner. Have some fun!

Last edited by Tinker; 06-13-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
RKS.PA

So, Jack, seems like it does "pencil" out, given the other good stuff you picked up in the lot. The challenge and the learning process also have a lot of value!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
19Fordy

Wonder how thin the water jackets are now after being subjected to years of rust?

I think it's a "goner".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #12
deuce_roadster

Judging from the picture. I would hazard a guess you will learn a lot just by taking it apart.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
There's NO decision to be made. There is NO differentiation between a '49-'53 Ford or Merc block, save for the paint color applied at the assembly plant! The crankshaft, pistons and other bolt-on components determine either Ford, or Mercury engine identity. BLOCKS ARE IDENTICAL! DD
I understand that.... The cardboard sign said 51 merc engine. It was a complete disassembled engine. I tried to judge if the crank was 4" stroke by doing some off the cuff measuring and while I was trying to figure it out, somebody else stepped up to the plate and struck a deal.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

The block might be good, but removing the pistons will be the biggest challenge. Beating them out with a hammer will deffinately crack the cylinders. I ur off the roda with a torch uae a 3| hole saw to cut the top of the pistons off and then use a chisel to brake up the piston. Usuall takes a couple days, no short cuts. Then have it tested The cylinders can be bored 1/8 oversize to save the block. Good luck.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:39 AM   #15
frnkeore

I've not done it but, you might try to find a REAL hot tank and have them soak it, over night. The Sodium hydroxide, also known as lye and caustic soda, should eat the piston, until only the rod is left. Or, you could try buying some lye and soaking the block in a 55 gallon drum. You have to research the mixture, I used to know it but, have forgotten it.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Thinking Ill try a hole saw first,get one that is just smaller than the inside of the piston skirt hopefully weaken it enough.No big hammer stuff,more like surgery.Next order is to run up an engine stand bracket and start pulling them down,just got this on the road so shop time is freeing up some..thanks for all the advice,will post up as it moves along..

Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Jack Shaft... Cute A-Bone! I like the "look" of those tires, too. Any details, or maybe a closer pic? Are those 16s? Thanks! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
Jack Shaft
BANNED

215/70 16 rear,20/55 16 front,cheapo amazon/bangkok skins,53 bucks a piece..on blasted,etched and rustoleumed ford wires..just a homemade hotrod,nothing special. paint? bobcat skid steer charcoal acrylic enamel,out here in the peoples republic its illegal to sell,found 4 quarts premixed in the back of the parts room at work..20 bucks a quart..
Old 06-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #19
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Another question,on model a's ford script on castings means its a 'service' casting,generally not made at the Rouge..the heads on this engine have ford script,so do the water pumps..it was painted powder blue,and it appears its been sleeved back to STD,you can see the sleeve ridges and the marked piston has N-STD in big letters...Ford didnt mark pistons STD,only oversize that I know of,but once again Im speaking model a..Ill post up some pictures,but it appears the plot thickens..
Old 06-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post

Out here in the peoples republic its illegal to sell.

Can I assume you're stuck in Quackafornia? Thank you for the info! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE