Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Cobra Joe

Default My new to me '39 Coupe

My wife and I have been looking for a '39 Ford Coupe "project car" for quite a few years now, but have never really found a "decent" car for a "decent" price.
Then about three or so months ago, we came across a completed car that we had looked at online last August that was originally out of our reach financially. The price had dropped significantly so we entered into and began the painful dance of negotiating with the seller. In this case it was a broker, which only seemed to make it that much more "interesting". After many weeks of phone calls, E-Mails, inspections, reports, contracts, purchase & sales agreements (3 to be exact)transporters, etc.... we finally came to an agreement.
In the end, we were able to purchase the car at a very reasonable price and able to get it delivered to us here in New England.
The car ended up getting delivered to us at around 10 pm one night in late February (it was actually 1 day late and then several phone calls and another 10 hours overdue) as you can imagine, I was extremely nervous about buying a car, sight unseen.... ( this is the third time I've done this and it still doesn't get any easier)
When the driver opened the door of the trailer in front of the house, I felt somewhat better. He then fired up the flathead and it sounded good, there was no smoke from the tailpipes as he backed it out of the enclosed trailer onto the main road. I live in a rural area so there is minimal street lighting, but the body looked descent in the dark. Feeling better about my purchase, I opened the door and drove it off the road into my lighted garage. Before paying the transporter and signing my paperwork, I crawled all over and under the car. I was ecstatic with what I saw as I got up off the ground, but hadn't realized my wife had come out into the garage. The look on her face was priceless and it let me know that I had made the right purchase. Her smile was ear to ear as I paid the transporter and she couldn't open the door and sit in the car fast enough.
Our driver ended up being a real, Henry Ford steel, complete chassis off restoration, with documentation and a photo album to to boot.

Anyways, here is our new to us, 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe with a few before and after pics:

Last edited by Cobra Joe; 04-17-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Cobra Joe is offline   Reply With Quote