Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
junkyardjeff

Default Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

I picked up the timing chain cover and all the parts from the front of the motor off a 63 galaxie that I think has a 260,I got them since the timing chain cover has a oil fill tube and will work great if I decide to put Y block valve covers on it. I was told they can bring some good money so I decided to look on ebay and seen that the 3 groove crank pulley (mine is a 4 groove) there is a buy it now price of around 250 dollars and the 2 groove water pump pulley had a buy it now of over 100 dollars. Are these pulleys actually worth that much and at first I was thinking about having 2 grooves machined off the crank pulley but not now and came up with a set of the later stamped steel single groove pulleys.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

Keep watching ebay and see what they sell for (if they sell)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Default Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Keep watching ebay and see what they sell for (if they sell)
You can also do an Advanced Search (just to the right of the regular blue Search button) and click the checkbox for 'Completed listings' to see what previous ones sold for.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
junkyardjeff

I looked and the prices are from 75 to 350 dollars so I am going to watch them and see if they sell,I would love to have someone want to give me 350 for one but that might be asking too much.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post

I picked up the timing chain cover and all the parts from the front of the motor off a 63 galaxie that I think has a 260,I got them since the timing chain cover has a oil fill tube and will work great if I decide to put Y block valve covers on it.
The trouble with these early aluminum SBF covers is that they corrode making sealing for coolant difficult. Also aftermarket covers are available.

You wouldn't need Y-BLOCK rocker covers as the early 260/289 had closed rocker covers. The trick was to use this setup to disguise a SBF install as a Y to be able to use a more powerful engine in it's place (347 modified engine). And most would not notice visual difference(s) even with the front mounted distributor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2OE 6059-D -3.jpg (46.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg C2OE 6059-D -4.jpg (49.0 KB, 142 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
junkyardjeff

The one I got looks good and I also grabbed the valve covers and PCV system that I think I can make work with a 65 or 66 4 bbl intake if I can find a new PCV.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post

The one I got looks good and I also grabbed the valve covers and PCV system that I think I can make work with a 65 or 66 4 bbl intake if I can find a new PCV.
The 62/63 had the valve on the back of the intake. If you go later, the valve is on the right side rocker cover.

EDIT-

PS- (French For I forgot To Mention... )

If you actually have a set of original closed overs, please do not drill for PCV...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
junkyardjeff

I think I can drill the 65 or 66 intake to use the 63 intake mounted PCV system if new PCV valves can be found.

Last edited by junkyardjeff; 03-18-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added more words
Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

The actual valve (OEM) C1AZ 6A666-A is still available from suppliers (EvilBay for one).

The reason I freaked out is these early covers are as scarce as hen's teeth.

I would post an ILL of the system(s) but I am out of printer ink. I will post in a few days if still interested.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
junkyardjeff

The valve covers will not be destroyed and will get every pair I can find along with those early timing chain covers and go ahead and post when you get ink. I am glad no one grabbed them before me.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: Value of the early small block cast iron crank and water pump pulleys

That setup was scarce 10-15 years ago. They were a hot item because the install made a cleaner looking engine.

Maybe today's builders don't know about them.

Put a 57 air cleaner on one and you can really fool some people...

I'll get the Ill and post it on this thread.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
junkyardjeff

I do have a 57 air cleaner and a big one from a mid 60s Lincoln.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
willowbilly3

I'm running a 63 260 in my hotrod. My old valve covers are still around somewhere I think. I think the intake went to scrap because I built one. I also have a spare 64 260 on a stand. It does not have the front oil fill but there might be a plug on the timing cover for one. My 63 does not use a plate behind the water pump. The multi groove pulleys are good property, hard to find when you need them but the ebay prices are a little deceptive. You might see a set sell for big bucks, put yours up and get pennys. Had that happen with a 64 Fairlane Z bar. I saw one sell well past $300 on open biding. Waited a couple weeks and put one up that brought $37.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
junkyardjeff

Most of the pulleys I seen had a very high buy it now price and wonder just how long they have been on there,I am watching them to see if they sell.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
junkyardjeff

Those high priced pulleys are not selling so it looks like they are not worth what they are asking.