Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
mike33ford

Default Steering Key Lock 33Ford

I put my 33 Ford on display and the people somehow locked my steering. I do not have the steering lock key, which is also gives access to the ignition. In the past, I could just turn the ignition on/off with the switch, so it seems the key position was unlocked. Now the switch position seems to be in the locked position. Any ideas how to get the steering unlocked? (I can start the car by hotwiring the wires, but the steering is still locked. Thanks for your help!
mike33ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
highbeams

Default Re: Steering Key Lock 33Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33ford View Post
I put my 33 Ford on display and the people somehow locked my steering. I do not have the steering lock key, which is also gives access to the ignition. In the past, I could just turn the ignition on/off with the switch, so it seems the key position was unlocked. Now the switch position seems to be in the locked position. Any ideas how to get the steering unlocked? (I can start the car by hotwiring the wires, but the steering is still locked. Thanks for your help!
Local locksmith . . . . . did my '36 key from a Hurd blank. (I think it was Hurd.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:16 AM   #3
highbeams

Local locksmith . . . . . did my '36 key from a Hurd blank. (I think it was Hurd.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Is the lock cylinder in place??? If not insert a screwdriver in the cylinder hole and slide the lock bolt out. If it is in place try to rotate the cylinder with a key or screwdriver DO NO DAMAGE. if the cylinder will not move and you believe the cylinder and the door lock cylinder are original to the car, remove the door lock cylinder and have a key made for it (key code is stamped on the cylinder) since the ignition and door were originally keyed alike. If you have the door key try it in the ignition.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
FlatHeadCoupe

Don't forget to relieve the tension on the steering column (in the locked position) when trying to turn the ignition lock cylinder, as it will create additional stress to keep you from turning the lock.
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
jimTN

Locksmith will need the code number off the tumbler which is visible only when removed. Check under the tumbler, looking up from the floor. If never disturbed, there will be a plated flat headed screw visible. If that screw is not there then the pin may have been drilled out in the past or not even be in there. That is why the suggestion above to gently try turning the cylinder with a screwdriver. If there is a pin in there, it will have to be removed to get the lock cylinder out. From what you say it sure sounds like there is no pin because the cylinder could not have been turned to lock things up with a pin in there.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #7
TJ

If there was never a key it seems strange that it has become locked. Is the round chrome cap sticking out from the column? If so, jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and tap on the chrome cap with a rubber hammer.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #8
mike33ford

Thanks for all these suggestions. I was able to losen the steering column which gave access to a screw on the top of the key/steering lock. I removed this screw (which had a spring in it). In addition, I took out a screw from the bottom of the lock. After removing these two screws, I used a screw driver and the key turned, unlocking the steering column! I then replaced the two screws, which are now holding the steering column in a fixed "unlocked" position -- and all is well. Thanks again for the great ideas and suggestions.
mike33ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #9
Terry,OH

The top screw with the spring also has a small ball bearing and holds the ON/OFF thumb knob in either the on or off position. The lower screw if removed will allow the entire lock cylinder to be removed. When removed it will have a key code on the side and another key can be made from the code. The proper key will allow you to lock the column and if locked unlock it preventing the same problem from reoccurring.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #10
32phil

The whole situation sounds a little unsafe to me.
At this point the best course of action would be to remove the lock cylinder and get the code and have a key cut. Once you have the correct key you can reinstall the cylinder and secure it in place.
An unsecured cylinder can pick the wrong time to lock the column then things can get really exciting! Give me a call and I'll walk you through what needs to be done.
Phil 845 551 5132