Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default what spindles

I want to buy a pair of early V8 spindles to use install '40 Ford brakes on my Model A. There is a pair for sale on the HAMB that say they are 35-36 spindles. The spindles however are oblong like a Model A spindle. I thought all the V8 spindles are either round back or square back? Help appreciated.
jeepguy1948 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
jeepguy1948

Default Re: what spindles

Correction, the ad says that they are '36
Old 07-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
jeepguy1948

Also, I know that both round back and square back will work for the juice brakes but is one better than the other? It seems that the aftermarket ones are round back. If anybody cares to look at the ad it is posted by 46convert.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
cas3

Round back or square back are a bolt on for hydraulic backing plates, but will require a steering hoop for the drag link. 35 36 have a smaller bolt pattern, and no drag ling connection either. 32 34 spindles have the steering arm for drag link connection, but are also the smaller bolt pattern. Many folks get around that problem with a little welding and drilling. I would stay away from the aftermarket stuff, plenty of Fords spindles still out there
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
jeepguy1948

So are there balls that mount in the holes on the steering arms?
Old 07-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
tubman

IIRC, '36 spindles are longer than most of the others and can only be used with certain Lincoln drums. Also '36 drums, of course, but they are "wide-5".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #7
Andy

The early linkage used ball studs and assembled ends. Regular tie rod ends fit and are usually used.
I am not familiar with A spindles. Never had one in my hand. I think they must be almost identical to 32 spindles. My 32 5W had 32 spindles with 40 brakes. The spacers for the bearings were loose so I made new ones. I could have put some locktite on them.
I would buy the adapter kit and try that first. It is just some sleeves and a ring to center the backing plate. It saves messing with a bolt on arm and they fit the car and king pins.
My king pins had the cups cut off. I don’t think it was necessary.
If you are going to run wire wheels you need the backup support rings.The wires have stepped mounting surfaces an will not fit right on flat drums.

Last edited by Andy; 07-23-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I always used the adapter kit and retained the Model A spindles. Most venders have them. Be sure to get a good one from a reputable supplier.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #9
jeepguy1948

I know from experience that there is a whole lot more to using the stock A spindles than just using the adapter kit. You have to modify the backing plate significantly to do it and/or butcher things up pretty good.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #10
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by '28 RPU View Post
I know from experience that there is a whole lot more to using the stock A spindles than just using the adapter kit. You have to modify the backing plate significantly to do it and/or butcher things up pretty good.
I wouldn't call notching the bolt holes in the backing plate "butchery"; probably been done innumerable times since '39.

If you don't care for notching, set backing place on with the centering rings, line up the offset holes as best as you can, bolt them together with a couple quarter inch bolt diagonally, run a drill thru from the spindle side, install and tighten your original bolts, remove the quarter inch bolts, drill out the remaining two holes, and remove the first two bolts and reassemble everything with the original grease catcher.

Be sure to pry off the original rings on the spindle.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:57 PM   #11
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
IIRC, '36 spindles are longer than most of the others and can only be used with certain Lincoln drums. Also '36 drums, of course, but they are "wide-5".
The snouts on '36 spindles are exactly the same as on '37-'48 spindles and only requires the centering ring and hole rework to add Juice brakes.

The snouts on '35 spindles are the same length as A-'34 spindles; but have the register for a grease seal and in addition to the centering ring and hole rework to fit juice brakes. Will need to use the taller axle nut or double washers under the later thin one.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:28 AM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Hey Don....You're correct in that going that route is not a simple bolt-on.

Below is a picture of Lockheed hydraulic on a Model "A" spindle.

It is kind'a busy up there because of the steering. One thing I don't remember you mentioning is YOUR steering. Are you going to keep the A-bone side steering? Also note in this picture that the TIE ROD must go either OVER or UNDER the wishbones. IF you should ever change to any CROSS-STEERING box, you'll also have a drag link going across (or UNDER) the right side wishbone arm. For this reason, I like 1937-1940 'ROUND-BACK' spindles because on the right-hand spindle arm, BOTH tie rod and drag link holes are tapered up from the bottom, on the SAME plane, whereas with SQUARE-BACK spindles, the right arm has two holes tapered from two different directions, possibly complicating clearancing of the wishbone. CAUTION: SOME 1941 ROUND-BACK spindles have the holes tapered from both directions, which you do NOT want. Also, make sure that the extra hole has not been cut off of whatever right hand spindle that you purchase. Kingpin selection is always determined by year of spindle.

Looking at the two types of spindles BELOW, it can be clearly seen that the middle (drag link) hole in square-back spindle arm is larger (tapered from TOP) than middle round-back hole. Coop

ROUND

SQUARE

TALL & SHORT SPINDLE NUTS that "rich b" spoke of ABOVE

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
jeepguy1948

I will do my best to respond to everybody's comments and questions. Coopman, I don't see that any pictures actually made it to your post. I have an F 1 or 100 steering box using the conventional stock type drag link. On this car I do not plan to change that. I have a stock axle but with a lowering spring that sets the front of the car down a couple inches. By butchery I mean the following... I have seen this done twice, on one, the backing plates have been turned upside down, the wheel cylinders then turned right side up the mounting holes were probably elongated. On the other one (the one that I have laying on my garage floor) notches have been cut into the backing plate to clear the spring perches and the shock balls cut off the perches (now all this is on the back, I'm not certain about the front actually). Maybe on the front all that is required is to get rid of the bracke sockets on top of the king pins? I believe that I will have to add another arm onto the front backing plate/spindle to provide for the drag link. I am convinced that 37 - 40 round back spindles are the way to go (that was actually my original question). I REALLY appreciate all the help but at times it can be totally overwhelming. Hope to see those pictures Coopman!
Old 07-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I will do my best to respond to everybody's comments and questions. Coopman, I don't see that any pictures actually made it to your post. I REALLY appreciate all the help but at times it can be totally overwhelming. Hope to see those pictures Coopman!
I can understand about being overwhelmed. There are SO MANY ways to do some of this, along with so many choices of parts to use. Plus, a little experience over time helps to know what problems must be anticipated.

Pictures ALL made it through when I click on this thread. Try clicking on the link BELOW, which is just a copy of my post. Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll PM the pictures to you. Click the link BELOW! Coop

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=12

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #15
rich b

In V8CM's picture it looks like they did away with the A king pin and bearing set-up and used the Torrington needle thrust bearings on the bottom.

While it looks better and is easier to set up; the stock A pin and bearing will still work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL A AXLE.jpg (39.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #16
jeepguy1948

Got them now Coopman, thank you.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 PM   #17
cas3

Got what ?
Old 07-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #18
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Got what ?

I think the pictures. Read the last sentence in post #13.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #19
cas3

Thanks Bob. I thought it was the type of spindle he had decided to use. Need to pay attention gol dangit.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #20
jeepguy1948

Again, thank you to everybody for the help. Coopman, I have to conceed that there is a strong possibility that the disc brakes will set the wheels out forward. I do not have any space to give for that, the tires are just barely inside the fender bead as it is. When using the later spindles I know that anoter bolt on arm must be installed for the side steer drag link. Do you then cut the outer eye off on the spindle arm?