Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #81
LeonardS

Default Re: 4 post lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Attachment 457347

There is a weak link in many of the electric motor controllers used on many of these cheaper lifts both in 2 and 4 posts. There is an electromechanical relay used to control the ups and downs... The companies that use a Chinese made electromechanical relay have issues with the contacts welding themselves together. So sometime when you release the up lever it keeps on going up until it finally hits the safety stop. Oil change shops were getting sued when pickup trucks with tall camper shells were being accidentally shoved into the ceilings. The real high end lifts being sold typically use more expensive solid state relays that are contactless.
My level of worry about a sticking relay is ZERO! Even the U.S. made lifts are probably using a Chinese relay, since they probably supply all of them. Pay attention and if it sticks, unplug the power cord or pull the hydraulic release valve. You are required to be right at the pump to raise the lift, since the switch is on the pump. I’ve had 7 of the 4 post lifts over the last 25 years. 1 was U.S. made and 6 were Chinese copies. No problems with any of them.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #82
katy

Quote:
There is an electromechanical relay used to control the ups and downs...
On my 4 post lift all the relay controls is the hydraulic pump, on or off, controlled by a push button.
If the relay were to stick all one would have to do is push the lever that allows the lift to descend. If the pump continues to run, wait until the lift is all the way down and then there is lots of time to go and disconnect the power.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #83
[email protected]

The electromechanical relay issue is not something I made up as a tall tale. I was working with one of the major US manufacturers of the motor driven hydraulic pumps used for several of the commercial grade car lifts. Their legal department was very busy with this liability issue getting into the thousands of dollars in settelments until their engineers and management upgraded their Chinese made ~ $2.00 relay to a ~$20. USA made solid state relay manufactured by Crydom. I did not make this stuff up trolls.......

That picture I posted earlier was some picture I found at random off the Internet...
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #84
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
My level of worry about a sticking relay is ZERO! Even the U.S. made lifts are probably using a Chinese relay, since they probably supply all of them. Pay attention and if it sticks, unplug the power cord or pull the hydraulic release valve. You are required to be right at the pump to raise the lift, since the switch is on the pump. I’ve had 7 of the 4 post lifts over the last 25 years. 1 was U.S. made and 6 were Chinese copies. No problems with any of them.

Do you use your lifts commercially with up to 20 cycles per day. Lots of difference in use on these lifts between oil change shops, car dealers, and a guy in his home garage.....
Old 03-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #85
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Do you use your lifts commercially with up to 20 cycles per day. Lots of difference in use on these lifts between oil change shops, car dealers, and a guy in his home garage.....
I’ve never used them commercially and I’ve never had problems using them the way I do. Maybe all of mine had U.S. relays......my pumps are all Duro Hydraulics.

Last edited by LeonardS; 03-05-2021 at 07:30 PM.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #86
[email protected]

9E863D24-99D0-4D5A-BBC0-6538FD0BF6E5.jpeg
Old 04-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #87
31a

I installed a Challenger LE 10 2 post lift 220v a year ago works great would do it again have had no issues and it makes things much easier my opinion
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #88
jayvee34

I bought a Back Yard Buddy about 25 years ago. I use daily, and have not had
problem with it. I use it for all kinds of jobs.

Being that I do all my own work I would be lost with out it. I even raise my car to clean wheels, tires, clean and wax from the waist down with out having to
bend down.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote