Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
fourbangerbob

Default Water out the overflow???

I run my 30 Roadster all day at 30 mph never loose a drop of coolant. Runner at 50 for 30 minutes down a gallon!!

compression-- 70 to 80 psi. each cyl 5.5 Snyder head

Radiator--seems to pass drain test-- empty in 4-5 seconds

the radiator tubes I can see look clean

Head gasket? Plugged radiator?
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Water out the overflow???

Try doing a search - this has come up lots of times.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...flow&showall=1
for example.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Yea it flows quick from the tubes that are unblocked. The fill and drop test is a myth...

Personally i use my infrared camera that mounts to my iphone to see what exactly is going on with the radiator.. the temp gun or hand method would be the next best method, short of pulling it.
Are you overfilling it?? A very common issue... it should only be filled to the level of the baffle thats in the bottom of the top tank..

Do some searches tons of reading available on the barn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5560.JPG (67.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5556.jpg (37.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5555.jpg (47.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-26-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Your radiator is plugged. All the Other stuff won't fix your problem.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Ron in Quincy

I would like to make a suggesting; the faster you drive the faster the water pump pumps water into the radiator, the water builds up faster than the water can drain through the tubes and return to the block, this can cause cavitation and heating; try drilling a 3/16" hole in each impeller to slow down the volume being pumped.

I have made this modification when rebuilding my water pumps for many years and have had no problems with water running over the overflow.

When I say "water", I usually put one gallon of coolant in my system as a rust inhibitor, only fill the radiator to the bottom of the baffle.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The same thing happened on my P/U about 22 years ago. A recore of the raditor fixed that problem and haven't had a problem since.
Like Mitch says, the flow test is a myth.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Yea it flows quick from the tubes that are unblocked. The fill and drop test is a myth...

Personally i use my infrared camera that mounts to my iphone to see what exactly is going on with the radiator.. the temp gun or hand method would be the next best method, short of pulling it.
Are you overfilling it?? A very common issue... it should only be filled to the level of the baffle thats in the bottom of the top tank..

Do some searches tons of reading available on the barn
Mitch, that's an interesting tool you have for the phone. I wonder if that would help the fire department find hot spots? Last night they had to return to a house fire when it rekindled in the attic about 6 hours after they left. This is the third time in less than a year that this same thing has happened at house fires.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Mitch, that's an interesting tool you have for the phone. I wonder if that would help the fire department find hot spots? Last night they had to return to a house fire when it rekindled in the attic about 6 hours after they left. This is the third time in less than a year that this same thing has happened at house fires.
You would think they may utilize something like that but not sure tho?? I can walk around my property at night pitch dark and spot animals etc... they also advertise it for intruders hiding in your house lol..(if your calm enough to use it in that scenario). Last week when it was cold out i was able to see the studs right through the dry wall, which was pretty cool.. when i can and get a clogged radiator or other auto related issue ill post some pics Showing the diagnosis .... sometimes we get a car with a bad injector so just the heat that the solenoid generates show up real nice if one is not working.. house air leaks etc... unlimited uses....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
CT Jack

Are you using a thermostat? If you are make certain it hasn't moved up the hose toward the radiator. If it has it could be flowing water directly into the the overflow tube. When you go 50mph the flow increases and is exiting the through the overflow. The fix would be to locate the thermostat above the gooseneck and install an extra hose clamp to prevent it from moving upward.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
jm29henry

Trust me jack knows what he is talking about !!
I have heard that the Finns on some rebuilt water pump build up more water flow than the radaitor can handle at higher speeds pushes the water out of the over flow tube just a thought but if I was a betting man I would bet Jack is right best of luck to you.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Keep this in mind. The water pump gets it's water from the bottom of the radiator. That's all it can pump. A free flowing radiator can handle much more water than the pump could possibly pump. 36 gal per minute is a good flowing radiator. Most of our radiators are plugged up to some extent. My rule of thumb is: if you can run 45 mph for 10 solid minutes, you have a good radiator.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

This is another good reason to install a 3.27 ring and pinion, or an overdrive if you want to drive 45 and faster. It will slow the water pump.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
50B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
This is another good reason to install a 3.27 ring and pinion, or an overdrive if you want to drive 45 and faster. It will slow the water pump.
I'm with Ron in #5 = Did the same thing around 40 some years ago. never had any problem.

Jer 50B
50B is offline   Reply With Quote