Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #21
johnneilson

Default Re: T5 Valley Machining Kit

I have the early kit for the T5 with the stock "A" housing.
It does sit back a little further than the "AA" housing and requires a special clutch disk with extension on the trans input shaft.
I also have it set up as open driveline. Originally, the rear radius rods were stk "A" and a third link. Well, the 3rd link snapped on an up shift, which caused the radius rods to bend and snap, all in about a 1/4? of a second (maybe less time). Lessons learned, a 1/2" 3rd link is not big enough.
I did some searching around at the time and found some "heavy duty" Mod "A" replacement radius rods, I don't remember who, maybe Auto Restorations in Indiana?
My rear ended up as a '35-36 V8 and radius rods reinforced, no 3rd link.

As for the open driveline to do clutch and trans work, well worth it.

John
Old 09-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #22
PotvinV8

I don't have any more detailed photos of the shifter setup, it's very much a "what you see is what you get" type situation as it's simply an additional shifter tower I had lying around mated to the T5 shifter on the trans. Everything was fabricated to suit.
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
gary678*

The T5 is a wonderful transmission. The previous owner installed it; I purchased the car almost four years ago and have had no problems. According to the transmission code it is a world class transmission from a Camaro, Firebird, or Chevy S-10 (late 80's/early 90's). My Model A has a 3.78 rear and on local roads I usually am in fourth gear. On open roads in fifth gear I go 55 MPH with an RPM of 2100. Gas mileage on local roads is 16-17 MPG; on trips it is 20-21. I have read some negative reviews on the T5 which I truly do not understand; mine has been perfect; shifts easily with no grinding of gears...a pleasure! Perhaps some of the negativity is a result of poor installation. GD
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #24
G_Don

I sourced a t5 at the carlisle swap meet (well atleast my dad did) and it is an s10 from a 2.5L v6? that is world class and has the 3.76 gearing.

I'm thinking of two different plans which are
1)going ahead and doing the valley machine open drive kit with the stock model a rear (welded wishbones) and the third link
2)buying a v8 banjo rear (probably a 35/36) and pumpkin U joint adapter from speedway and then just getting a custom made driveshaft, and have the 35/36 radius rods shortened to fit onto the rear transmission mount. Thinking of 35/36 rods just cause I have a set and they're the only ones that bolt to the rear (?).

But I have a few questions.
1)Is there any benefit to running a v8 banjo rear over the model A? I'm assuming they're stronger but just how much? Are they even stronger than a Model A rear if you add the third link?
2) With a seriously hopped up banger and t5 overdrive, will that overpower the stock A rear?

I plan on running hydraulic brakes, so I wouldn't have to modify the backing plates on the 35 rear like you would with a model A rear. Maybe I'm just weighing my options out loud, but I'd like to hear some opinions from guys who have done this conversion one way or another. All input is welcome!

Thanks again for all your guys time and help for a novice like me.
Gordy
G_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:12 AM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernlee View Post
https://clampdowncomp.com/tech/insta...-model-a-ford/

this is the best I have found , if the pics are a hassle don't worry about it , just fun to see other peoples projects
Hey Ryan ......I must compliment you on the beautiful workmanship that you've exhibited, your ability to envision the engineering principles necessary to make the radius (control) rods articulate as a unit with the rear end housing's gyrations, as well as your obvious ability to compose, substantiate and edit a build document worthy of any automotive news stand publication.

I LIKE T5s, and YOU will, too! I've had a couple of brief exchanges with Dave Falwell of Vintage Metalworks several years ago when we were developing a project consisting of putting a T5 in a '35-'40 Ford...WITH the torque tube. If you have any interest, you can click on the link below for the thread detailing my (our) experience, and possibly some interesting tidbits.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...T5+TORQUE+TUBE

I came-upon YOUR thread, as I just have to take a peek at anything "T5". I have seen most of the Model A T5 'kits' floating-around out there, and while many of them leave some points to be desired, a few of them are downright dangerous in concept, AND in execution. That kit you have is the closest to 'perfection' that I have seen for an "A-bone". The ONLY thing I believe I would have done differently would have been to fabricate new, or to at least re-inforce the original, thin-wall, welded-tube radius rods. Those radius rods were never intended to take the thrust (nor the torque) controlled via that torque tube. If you don't abuse that ride, you'll likely get by with your originals, though. Just wanted to give you a thumb's-up on a very nicely-done project, Sir! I normally hang-out over on the V8 side of the 'Barn. Dick Davidson (DD)

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I sourced a t5 at the carlisle swap meet (well atleast my dad did) and it is an s10 from a 2.5L v6? that is world class and has the 3.76 gearing.

But I have a few questions.
1)Is there any benefit to running a v8 banjo rear over the model A? I'm assuming they're stronger but just how much? Are they even stronger than a Model A rear if you add the third link?
2) With a seriously hopped up banger and t5 overdrive, will that overpower the stock A rear?

I plan on running hydraulic brakes, so I wouldn't have to modify the backing plates on the 35 rear like you would with a model A rear. Maybe I'm just weighing my options out loud, but I'd like to hear some opinions from guys who have done this conversion one way or another. All input is welcome!

Thanks again for all your guys time and help for a novice like me.
Gordy
Hey Gordy....The '35 thru '48 banjo center sections are somewhat more substantial than the "A" rears in that the pinion shafts are far better supported by a front AND a rear bearing. The pinions themselves are stronger too, as the gear portion is integral with the one-piece pinion assembly, rather than that "Morse-like" tapered method of mounting the gear on the pinion shaft on the stock "A" rears.

You SHOULD seriously reconsider employing an additional upper link to control the accelerating and braking torque loads of the rear axle housing. I'd employ a substantial rod which terminates SOLIDLY with the lower radius rods like that seen in the 28th and 30th full-size pictures in Ryan Manson's Model A in the link below. Hope this helps you. DD

https://clampdowncomp.com/tech/insta...-model-a-ford/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #27
PotvinV8

Talking Re: T5 Valley Machining Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey Ryan ......I must compliment you on the beautiful workmanship that you've exhibited...
Thanks Dick,

Twenty years in the magazine business must be showing!

The T5 had been a great upgrade!
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote