Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
rawlir

Default 46 Ford Truck Front Fenders

Howdy!
Anyone have a surefire way to differentiate front fenders on 1/2 ton pickups & bigger trucks?
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:31 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 46 Ford Truck Front Fenders

gidday Rick, the wheel arch opening is visibly a much bigger radius on the big trucks
Old 05-01-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
GB SISSON

I have a fleet of jailbar trucks and sometimes I wish I had a surefire way to tell when there isn't one to compare to. I have bought two real nice sets of big truck versions because guys restoring a half ton bought them at a swap meet without the 'knowing'. They don't interchange well. But yes, the wheel arch seems to be only difference.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:06 PM   #4
Brian

If you feel you cannot 'eyeball' the difference, then use a tape measure. Simply know the measurement of the particular fender you seek, it will be readily apparent when you apply the tape measure. I no longer own a jailbar, so cannot give you the particular measurements, but, as I recall, the difference in the wheel openings between the big trucks and the pickups is quite considerable.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #5
Doublepumper

Pickup front fenders are 26-1/2" from the top inner edge of the fender to the top of the wheel opening.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is that on a straight line across, as in the fender is sitting on level ground? Funny, I never thought of that. I was always trying to measure the linear distance and the tape wouldn't bend evenly and the starting/ending points were vague as they were also a radius. I can get a strait-edge on a tonner tomorrow if I remember.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
Doublepumper

It's 26-1/2" using a tape hooked to the top inner edge and following the fender top contour to the top edge (at the center) of the wheel opening. Not sure on the big truck measurement, but it will be less that this due to the wheel opening being larger and higher up the fender.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublepumper View Post
It's 26-1/2" using a tape hooked to the top inner edge and following the fender top contour to the top edge (at the center) of the wheel opening. Not sure on the big truck measurement, but it will be less that this due to the wheel opening being larger and higher up the fender.

With your method, which is a good one, I find that the number for the 122" WB tonner and larger trucks is 23 1/2" I had 8.25 x 20s on my two ton and they are about 36" in diameter. A 6.50 x 16, typical of a half ton is about 30" in diameter. There is the 3" difference. The tonner rear fenders are a whole different animal. Look to be about 5' long and no confusion on those!